How to become a sales expert?

ubure

hello,

maybe you have read my other posting in this category and so I'd like to ask the expert: what do you do to sell as much as possible (or to have at least decent sales)?

I must admit that I have problems with selling, no matter what. I know my candles are really good candles (I know because my customers tell me, I would never claim that myself even if I know it) but I somehow always feel ashamed when selling them (I do a fair once a year at christmas here in my town and even if there aren't masses of people I always have the same sales worth about $ 250,-. Not much but at this time of the year I am always glad to have some extra money for presents etc. But when I compare to other people selling their stuff at this fair I am an absolut idiot when it comes to advertising my products. others are so enthusiastic about their products, their are really promoting, but I am not able to. I always feel like a beggar. I know this is nonsense and counterproductive. Can somebody give me a hint how I can overcome this behaviour?

Thank you!

Dear Inez;

Hello from America.

Normally I wouldn't reply to a post like this one, because there really isn't anyway to provide a simple and definative answer to the question you ask.

You write English very well. Better than many of us on the board, actually. I wish I could write or speak German, it's my family's native homeland. Both of my parents' grandparents imigrated from Germany in the late 19th century. I grew up listening to German, but never learned it. I wish I had. I did aquire the taste for the cuisine, however! (lol) Man, do I love sausages !!!!

To answer your question, I my first admit a little about myself.

I have a batchelors degree in business management and a master's degree in marketing. Both of those "honors" will get me a decent cup of coffee as long as I have about $3.00 in my pocket, though.

I've been told, however, that I could sell snowballs in a blizzard. My dad taught me the trade. Some of my first recollections in life were with him on selling sprees in a number of venues. It's simply in my blood now. Dad could and did sell anything and everything that was not illeagal or offensive.

From what I've read, you seem to lack the confidence in your own products, even though you KNOW they are good quality. Until you overcome this propensity for being "humble" about your products you may have to simply settle on modest sales or find someone who is more gregarious to assist you with "facing the crowd". Not everyone is a "natural born salesperson". There's no shame at all in it. It is a skill that can be learned, though.

I would like to offer the suggestion that you get aquainted with the Candlewic Company and subscribe to their free internet newsletter, "The Enlightener". They very often have some very good advice on how to best market your candles, soaps and related craft products.

The owner of the company, Bill Binder, writes under the pen name of "Chandler". He is a second generation candle maker with a lot of experience. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning that he, too, is of German ancestry. He's also a very nice guy!

There are numerous books that you can buy that detail how to learn selling skills and there is a wealth of free information on the internet, but a good place to start the journey would be here, by reviewing the archives, or by looking at some of the supplier sites that offer selling advice including Candlewic's "Enlightener".

I've attached a link to the Candlewic site which will allow you to read and subscribe (free) to their newsletter and to search their archived material.

I realize I'm not offerring much, but I hope this helps some.

Good luck!

http://www.candlewic.com/default.asp

David @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

check into a local business group, not sure about over there, but our local small business center has sales classes, or check at a university.

Otherwise, just have a smile and dress nice, dont sit and read a book or look preoccupied. I have a marketing degree but I for one have problems promoting my own products yet can sell someone elses easily. I understand how you feel, its like your bragging about yourself, and it can become uncomfortable because you are your brand.

My product sells itself and so should yours in the scheme of things. A nice presentation and tell everyone you are giving out free sniffs today :cheesy2: Greet everyone with a smile, thats the most important thing. People don't like to be pushed but they like acknowledgement and basic information. Give yourself a power talk in the car on your way there! Set a (realistic) goal and strive for it! Hope this helps!

Guest OldGlory

I have been in sales my whole life (I'm in my late 50's now) and I am usually #1 in sales wherever I am working. Started when I was 16. I work in a traditional type job and I have a wholesale business for candles and whatever else my clients can squeeze out of me, lol. For now, they're lucky to get candles - had to hire someone this year to fill my largest wholesale orders.

Here's what is required to be a good salesperson:

1. Confidence in yourself and in your business. Most business is all about the confidence of the person who is selling. I approach every sale as if I already think the customer wants to buy. After all, I make a great product!

2. Product knowledge. If you are making your products you know them well. What do your customers want to know about what you make? What makes them special? How long does each size burn? How long will this candle last? Will I get a strong fragrance throw from it?

3. Enthusiasm is vital. Nobody wants to buy a candle from the person who is not engaging the customers and whose customers are not excited about their purchase. Your energy rubs off on the customer. And you have to smile sincerely.

4. Persistence. Talk to everyone about your products. The more people you talk to, the more people you ask for their business, the more yeses you will get. There is a direct correlation between how many customers you have and how many sales you will have if you ask each person to buy and give them a reason to do so.

5. And sometimes, the best way to sell a product is to appeal to the emotion of the customer. Will they find your candle relaxing? Invigorating? Will it remind them of their grandmother's garden? Think of the most successful TV commercials you have seen - most of them find a way to appeal to your emotions.

If you can sell to 10% of your potential customers you are doing something right.

There are lots of books on how to sell. Read them all! Practice when you have the chance. And have fun.

Thank you all for your expert advice! Emilyspoppy, I guess there are quite a few people around in the US having German ancestors. I always find it really exciting to hear stories pf people who have left their motherland for a trip in an adventure with unforeseeable outcome (not only Germans of course, there are so many of them). Brave people those were! And they built your country! (Thank you for the compliments for my English, but it is far from being perfect. I love this language and I want to become better and better in it.)

So you are all are real experts for marketing, that't great and I have to consider quite a few things in the future. I find the most difficult part is to identify with your product really completely. I am a self-confident person, I know what I know and I know I knwo it really well. I have a master in English and German Linguistics and in English Literature - no prob doing seminars and lectures about these. But selling my own candles is another thing. The problem is in my head and I need to change that. And overcome shyness (again, in othere areas of my life I am everything else than shy - strange, isn#t it?)

Edited by ubure

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
To sell your product you must first sell yourself!

It really is as simple as that. :smiley2:

And that is exactly what I don't seem to be able to. I'm seeling my candles because my customers love them. Fact is, I could sell so much more if only I could sell myself better. So, it isn't easy at all, I think.

Inez, I have the same problem! The past winter I sold a lot of candles but because they almost sell by themselves. I'm not really able in speaking with people, engaging them, or talk about the beauty or benefits of my candles. Wish I could do more! I've always been a "fly down" person, I don't like getting too much attention, so maybe this is the problem. Confidence in myself first of all!!

Sabrina, maybe we should just try to rise above ourselves and sell ourselves a bit better. It won't hurt, right? So next time we have a potential customer in front of us we weill SELL our product with confidence, okay? Only to see what happens. It can't get worse, after all.