Scent Question

I'm new to candlemaking, so I hope I'm wording my question correctly. Does the same scent from different suppliers react differently when you pour? For example: If I have Baby Powder scent from supplier A, and buy the same scent from supplier B, would I use it using the same rule of thumb (1oz per 1lb. of wax)? I'm using GB464 wax.

Thanks.

Luanne

Guest OldGlory

Hi Luanne and welcome to candlemaking! I've been using 464 for more than 5 years for my wholesale customers and love it.

I would suggest that you read the instructions for each fragrance oil (FO). Even at the same supplier, some FOs are considered 'double strength'. For example, BCN has WYW FOs that are double strength and they suggest you use half of your normal amount, but they also have other FOs that are not double strength.

I would also suggest keeping a journal for each FO, each wick, and each wax, and then each combination of FO, wick, and wax. You'll soon discover that any of these variables can change the results of your burning candle. And of course test burning each combination is a must. You don't know if you have the best combination until you've burned the candle/finished product.

It's a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end!

Thanks OldGlory. I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and pour a candle. I'm going to use Peaches and Cream (liquid) from Candles and Supply in PA (where I took my class last week), with their Peach liquid dye. I'm using a 12oz. status jar with a CD12 (their recommendation on wick size) wick. I'm taking the wax to 185 degrees. I'm going to add my color at that temp. Can I add my scent at that temp too, or wait until I'm ready to pour at 135 degrees.? Also, I want to melt my wax in my presto pot, can the color and fragrance be done in the presto, or the pouring pot?

Sorry if this a silly question :-\

Thanks

Luanne

Guest OldGlory

With 464, I always add fragrance at 175-185, somewhere in that range.

I use a presto pot to melt wax, then I measure out the weight of the wax I need into a pouring pot, add dye and fragrance, and let the wax cool there. I make so many candles at a time I need the presto pot to be melting more wax while the pot cools. And since I use lots of different scents, I prefer to keep the color and fragrance out of the presto pot. That way I don't have to keep cleaning out the presto pot. I think you could add scent and dye to the pot if you wanted. Just be sure to cut off the heat. You don't want to cook the wax - just melt it to the right temp. Hope that answers your question.

There are no silly questions here, by the way. We all started with lots of questions!

Thanks again. Sounds like I used your method. I melted in the Presto. When it got to 185, I had my scent and dye stired in the pouring pot, and added the wax. I let it cool to 135 and poured. I don't want to have to clean the Presto every time either. This way, I wiped out the pouring pot with a paper towel, then washed with a soapy paper towel to get rid of the fragrance smell. I posted pictures in another thread.

Guest OldGlory

I saw the other thread and your candle looks great! (I also responded to the other thread.)

I pour pretty large batches of candles and I only wipe out the pour pot with a paper towel. Sometimes I use my hairdryer to melt it all down, sometimes I set the pour pot on a burner at a very low temp. for a few minutes, then wipe it out thoroughly. Also, I pour candles in a sequence using one pot, from lightest odor, to heaviest/spiciest odor and darkest color. For example, all of the yellow/orange/red colors go in one pot, lightest color first, and the last one I pour is the spicy apple or pumpkin scent. After the last one I know I have to really get the pot clean. Otherwise, I'm just wiping with a paper towel between batches. And again, I am pouring at least 2 lbs at a time, usually 4 lbs.

You will find shortcuts as you go.

Edited by OldGlory

• 1 year later...