Wick's are drowning out also/ HELP!

I used Sissie's Sugar Cookie-BCS

8oz jj

FO 1 1/4oz per lb

Dye Flakes, Ivory 3-smidgens per lb

BW 1/2oz per lb( can't use more than 1/2oz in the winter b/c my tops crack )

I've used the HTP-105, Got a good throw with 3/8"mp, small mushroom, nice size flame, no black smoke, with a little hang-up.

Burned the next day, after burning for 2 hrs I had 1/8" of wax all around the jar, I let it finished burning another 30 mins. it didn't take much of the wax down off the sides.

Then I changed to a CD-10, throw was not good and had wax hang-up on one section for the jar, the rest of the jar had 3/8" mp

Burned the again the next day, When I first Lite the candle the flame was small, I let it burn another 1/2 hr and the flame still stayed small, so then I stopped it.

I'm having this same problem with these other FO

Blackcherry

Heather

Tulip

Harvest

Dogwood

BNB

Gingerbread

Amaretto

I have tried the HTP-104, ECO-8,10,12. CD-8,10,12,

I tried going up a wick size, I end up getting a dancing flame that shoots the flame up high with black smoke from it. I go down a wick size, I get the small flame, nothing working.

I'm at my witts end, very disappointed in the way things are going. On some of the FO I made another tester using 1oz, I thought that might be my problem. but no the same thing is happening

CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE!

Sorry, not an answer...Just wondered what kind of wax you are using? If my math is right, you are using about 3% beeswax? When I tried the beeswax, it made my soy harder to burn, but when I used stearic (coconut), I seemed to have better luck. Maybe just a fluke, but eco 12s wouldn't even clear the edges on my 8 oz. jellies with 2-3% beeswax. I know others have very good luck with it, so maybe it depends on your wax. Hope someone has some good solid answers as I would like to know the answer also. Beth

I use KY pure soy, I really shouldn't have said my wicks are drowning out. What's happening is my wick gets smaller the further down it burns. It doesn't drown out. I don't get large mushrooming with it either. If I wick up on some of my FO they start dancing alot and shooting a high peak with black smoke coming from it.

Lighting Bug are you mixing palm wax with your soy wax?

Diane

What larger wicks did you try? I had a real issue with the 8oz sq mason, it did the same thing to me. I tried wicking with the largest HTP wick and it mushroomed badly, so I used 2 of the smallest HTP wicks, I think they were HTP31 and that was too much for a lot of my FO's. It really drove me crazy. I switched jars to a 8 oz widemouth mason and have had much better results. I know a lot of people wick those jellies successfully, but it seems the narrow openings in the jars really give me fits with wicking. Have you tried a HTP1212 in it and trimmed it to 1/4" before lighting? I am sorry I can't help you out more, I am at a loss. The FO sounds ok, so does everything else. The beeswax should not make a difference in your wicking. Maybe someone who wicks these jars will come along and give you some advice.

Hi Diane. No I haven't added palm though I've wondered what would happen when mixing the two. I have tried the natural soy wax additives, the coconut stearic, and beeswax. Now I am trying a soy blend with cottonseed in it. They seem to burn ok for the first 1-2 burns, but then flame gets smaller, MP gets smaller, and it looks like they are trying to die. Bigger wicks flare, flicker and smoke. I am missing something, but not sure what. I do think the jelly jars and sq. masons are harder to wick as the opening is smaller. Adding a candle cap seems to help, but I want them to burn well by themselves. I have thought of going over just to apothecary and wide mouth jars but love the country look of the sq. masons so I keep plugging away for now. Beth

Kerry, The largest I have tried in the 8oz jj are the HTP-105, CD-12 & 14 my flame dances alot. flame shoots to a high peak with black smoke. The HTP-1212 is too big of a wick for the 8oz jj I thought,. I've been trying to test wal-mart's 16oz victorian jar with the HTP-1212, I got a 3/8" mp, no hang-up, but that was the first burn for it. ( why is it the first burn pretty much always work ) but on the secound I had hang-up around the sides but not a whole lot. it danced alot, no black smoke though, flame was large, not a large mushroom. I'm going to try the HTP-126 in next. I'm getting off track here. Anyway I tried a 51 cotton in another 8oz jj, that has half of jar of wax left with FO-Harvest, the flame was not as small as when I used the HTP-105 & the CD-12 & 14, but the flame is still on the small side. Now I thought what the heck, I'll try going lower in wick size, I'm going to try an ECO0-6. I tried an ECO-8 with FO-Tulip, this is only the third burn for this FO, When I lit it I had a nice flame, but once it got going the flame danced alittle and also black smoke now and then, I didn't let it finish burning, I pulled the wick ( ECO-8 ) out and put an ECO-6 in. I'm getting ready to test it.

topofmurrayhill, I think you misunderstood me, but that's not hard to do with me. lol....when I put my words down I think everyone knows what I'm trying to say. But yes, I do flatten out the tops when I change wicks.

Lightning Bug, From what you described, your having the same problem I'm having, and I do believe it's the weather that's causing this problem we're all having. I too like the country look of the mason jars, that's why I keep on plugging at it. Have also thought about switching over the apothecary jars, but I don't know how well the double wick would go over and I would have to have them shipped. I get my 8oz jj local, but I wished they had a better varity to choose from.

I get so frustrated, I get to a point I want to pull my hair out. Back to testing.