Tart Storing Question

Should tarts made out of all par wax be stored in frig or can they be in plastic zip bags in drawer? Also Tarts that hve 1/2 soy (415) and 1/2 par same question...I'm also experimenting with a tart 415 and 4627 50/50 from a plastic Meow mix cup container, just poured and did not melt (110)

Thanks

Karen

No. Melts do not needs to be stored in the refrigerator. You can store them in polypropylene bags in a drawer or cabinet but you will want to avoid Ziploc type or polyethylene bags. You may have polypro bags with zip top and know this, I thought I should at least mention in case not.

I am completely lost on the cat food container and what did not melt. I have made melts with 415 and 4627. Made a nice melt but was stickier/softer than I wanted.

The container is from Meow Mix Variety pack we food I buy for my 5 cats . Each AM I give every one a little in a dish all from the 3.5oz? container ..So thats what I am trying. I poured my wax at 110 and the container did not melt so we'll see.....Yes the last sample tart I pured was thesame mix and yes was sticky so I learned that one the hard way...

The container is from Meow Mix Variety pack we food I buy for my 5 cats . Each AM I give every one a little in a dish all from the 3.5oz? container ..So thats what I am trying. I poured my wax at 110 and the container did not melt so we'll see.....Yes the last sample tart I pured was thesame mix and yes was sticky so I learned that one the hard way...

So you are using cat food containers as molds for your melts? I would not want to use anything that could possibly have residual material or scent. You can get some silicone ice cube molds at the Dollar Store or even with a paraffin wax, get cheap ice cube trays. For your testng purposes, though you will want to start with what you think you will use longer term. Otherwise you may have to start over your testing or redevelop your system when you shift to that later.

What else can I store the tarts in besides the plastic bags?

Glass Mason jars would work well and look nice. But since I am still perplexed on what you are making your melts in, that may not work.

I ordered some fluted tart molds from peak and theywill be here Mon.. i will get the ice cube trays to practice with and I have been using a metal cup 2.5 oz from wall mart... came in a pack of 6..they work pretty well......Have no idea why I wanted to test the cat food container... I gues it was a senior moment or hour or something.....

The fluted molds will be great for you to use. You may wish to stay with those or also try silicone molds or pour into cups or clamshells.

You will want to get some small polypropylene bags to package the melts if you plan to gift, or larger ones for storage.

I make in cups now but when I made in molds, I got Wilton silicone molds at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joann's (with a 40% or 50% off coupon they were $5-$6 each).

These:

http://www.michaels.com/Silicone-Brownie-Bites-Pan/sc1136,default,pd.html?cgid=products-bakeware-browniefun-pans&start=1

I got my bags from RE. Here are the cello bags I got (from the bottom of the page upward):

http://rusticescentuals.com/Bags/

My individual bags looked like this:

post-14519-139458510679_thumb.jpg

My larger/bulk bag for my use and testing looked like this:

post-14519-139458510682_thumb.jpg

Wow!! Those look great! I will place an order now.. I want to give them as gifts to family in another state so they will have to be shipped.. I really like these.....What do the Ziplick bags do to tarts that you don;t use them?

Well, because I am a researcher at heart, I have searched and read here even back into the old board's archives and this was a question I had.

Apparently, it strips away the scent, or allows the scent to escape from the stored melt. That was enough for me not to want to use them. Same with plastic cups used for making melts. I do not use the round cups so am not the right person to explain/answer but there are certain numbered plastics (number on the bottom) that do the same so watching which cups you might get is key.

th?id=H.4897728303989191&pid=1.7&w=158&h=168&c=7&rs=1I use these stackable bins with the fragrance label on the side for easy location. I believe there is a 5 in a triangle on the bottom, which is the recycle number and means it is safe for storing fragranced products. They last a long time and don't lose their fragrance this way. HTH

Steve