Importance of pouring temperature

Hi all,

I am new to candle making and like every newbie have a bunch of questions.

I have read a lot about melt points and pouring points of different waxes. All the articles say that to get good quality candles one should pour wax at its recommended temperature.

I am curious to know what exactly happens if you don't follow the pouring temperature. Does it effect the surface, fragrance or burning times? Does the kind of mold ( metal vs plastic or silicon used dictate the poring temperature?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Umesh

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful worlds of candle making! Yes pouring temperature is very essential to the surface of the candle! I am not sure what wax you are using but I use pure soy and I have to pour very slushy or the surface is rough. The scent throw is effected by when you had the fragrance oil. If you add it when the wax is too cool, it will not bond and you will not get as much of a scent throw when burning. Selecting the proper wick also effects the scent throw as well and that will effect the burning time as well. Too large of a wick and it will burn too fast and too small and the wick might drown! It is essential to add the fragrance oil at the proper temp, pour the wax at the proper temp and select the proper wick to have the best candle. You only find this out by testing and testing and testing and did I mention testing! If you are using silcone or plastic you should know just how warm a temp it can handle so it does not melt. A candle is the perfect recipe of fragrance, wick, and wax. You have to "tweek" it to get that perfect balance and when you do, it is amazing! Have fun and hope this helps!!

Adrienne, try bringing your temp up, then letting the wax cool down before you add the fragrance.

The fo is actually cooking off as you are bringing it back up to temp.

Try heating to 185, removing from the heat into the pour pot , cooling it down then adding fo.

I am also new to candle making! Ive been using IGI 1343, adding my scent at 170F, and Pouring my candles at 175. I get a nice strong cold throw, but as the candles burn I don't smell them at all. Is this because of my pouring temp?

Could be other things. How much scent per pound of wax? What type of scent (company basically).