Need advice on redoing my packaging, containers, etc.

msant

Hi Everyone,

I need advice on this one. I started selling my candles last year. The soy candles are double wicked in the 8 oz country comfort jar. I've gotten feedback from a couple of people. It seems that people have had issues with one wick not working right, or the label is not bright, or the logo looks like a big splat of color instead of an image. :( I'm also not 100% happy with the candle look and double wicking, and now container/function. The cost is $18 which is high for that size and I know I have to redo the cost analysis and choose more affordable materials.

Anyway, my question is this...my husband advises me that it would be best just to go to local gift shops and stores and try to get the candles in a couple of stores so at least I'm still promoting my business. I am having a hard time going out with a product that I am not 100% satisfied with and with a company name, logo, and packaging that I'm testing to change. Wouldn't that ruin the trust between myself and the store owners if I'm promoting this product and then turn around in a couple of months time with all these changes? Don't know what is the business way of looking at this that would be best.

Thank you in advance for any feedback....any input would be so greatly appreciated!

Maira

Perfect your product first..I make soap and spent 2 years getting it just the way I wanted it. I still tweak labels etc now and then but the soap had to be the best it could be before I would sell it..

I agree with Kitn. Also, the 8 oz jar with lid is not priced too differently from the 16 oz jar. It is hard to sell an 8 oz for 18. But maybe easier to sell a 16 oz for 20. Something maybe is off with your pricing. I would definitely stick with glass, imo. I would hold off on approaching shops. If customers etc just ask, I would say you're redeveloping your product etc., and not go into too much detail with the customer. Also with the one wick going out, maybe wick is too small? Just find one good jar that you like the look of and focus on just wicking that one jar correctly. I would stick to a simple, classic jar. Only then when you've got a good product/wick, go to the next jar, if you want. There are a lot of things I changed and did over, so I think what you are experiencing is just very typical of a new candle maker. You wouldn't want to ruin your reputation by putting out a sub par product there, that even you yourself are not happy with. I know it is frustrating to test and test, but it is the only option and best for your business long term.