Votives

Hello all, I am new to this site. I started making soy candles 9 months ago. Took me a lot of trial and error, but finally got the jars down using 464. Now....... Trying to make votives. I got PB wax, and made 8 votives, they looked great, though I had to do a second pour. My question to all you seasoned candles is what is the magic wick? I tried the following, Eco 4, LX 14 (preferred wick by CS), CD 4, 5. My results were they either tunneled down the center within 3 hours, or they burned down to a clump of wax within 3-4 hours. It wasnt pretty. Any suggestions on making votives is greatly appreciated.

Hi I to use ecosoya pb for my votives. First make sure you are burning them in a tight fitting votive container other wise they won't burn right. For wicks I use a eco 2 But sometimes I need to wick up to a eco 4 depending on scent. But you can try a cd 5 also and see how it goes.

A votive is basically a solid container candle. It isn't usually burned free standing, like a pillar, but in the small votive holders that all the craft stores and specialty shops sell. They are nice because customers can try out scents before commiting to a larger pillar or container candle.

I say that I like to have an affair with the scent, not marry it.

Ecosoya PB can be tricky to wick. When I was trying it for votives I found that I was destroying too many because it is so brittle and cracks easily when you remove it from the mold. Dolphin146 gave good wick suggestions I would start with the eco 2, I like that wick.

Wicking is the toughest part of candle making! There is no magic, just testing and more testing, getting to know each kind of wick with your wax.

Been test burning past 5 hours with a Eco 4 in a glass votive cup, and it is doing well thus far. I have only tried Pb wax for votives, and only used 464 for my jelly jars. I feel ok with my jar candles, I use 1 oz FO per lb of 464 wax, and got the wick good on those. But now I am venturing into votives. If I burn votive out of votive cup, like I set it inside a lid, and after an hour it was a wax glob in the lid with Eco 4. I never made pillar candles. 9 months of trial and error, I am still learning. I could stick with jars, but wanted to learn the trick of votives. Like said, I could give people a scented votive to smell the fragrance. I did order a pack of 5 of the eco#2 today while taking advantage of CS FO sale.

You can't burn PB votives like a pillar - they have to be in a tight fitting votive container

Several years ago I thought it would be cool to set a votive inside a mason jar for my sisters wedding and when I made all those dam things and did a trial run every one of them turned to a blob and burnt out in like 3 seconds

CS carries votive holders very reasonable in price and I think it was peak that has some new cool colors

I use LX14 and CD4 or 5 for most of mine

Tam- I use some 135 or 415 mixed in with PB for the votives- it softens it enough to where they don't crack coming out of the molds and helps with HT quite a bit IMO

You can't burn PB votives like a pillar - they have to be in a tight fitting votive container

Several years ago I thought it would be cool to set a votive inside a mason jar for my sisters wedding and when I made all those dam things and did a trial run every one of them turned to a blob and burnt out in like 3 seconds

CS carries votive holders very reasonable in price and I think it was peak that has some new cool colors

Tam- I use some 135 or 415 mixed in with PB for the votives- it softens it enough to where they don't crack coming out of the molds and helps with HT quite a bit IMO

Same results here with PB and customers have a strange idea as to what "tight fitting" means. I no longer make soy votives.

Thanks to all. I am currently burning the LX 14 in a "tight" votive holder, though the flame is small, it has been burning now for the past 6 hours.

Soy is the only wax I have used past 9 months. I use 464 for jars, and bought the PB to venture into votives. I will either purchase votive cups, or I will tell people what will happen if they don't use votive cup. Their little candle, will turn into the blob. Lol.

I don't know anything bout chunk votives or other waxes. Still in baby steps here. Lots of money, and fun, but still learning.

Again, thanks for replies, it has helped.

About what percentage of container wax do you add to the PB?

I use 25% container and 75% PB

I have done this with 135- 464 and 415 with great results but I do have to say the 135 for this mix was my favorite but I hate to order it for just votives

...and they pop from the mold easily? I've got a "ton" of PB and don't know what to do with it. This may be the answer.

I didn't add anything. I just melted 1 lb pb wax, then poured into votive molds. One batch I scented, and another batch I added 1 oz of CS Buttercream FO. When I did test burn, I didn't smell buttercream, so am playing with wicks. Thus far, LX 14 burns slow with small flame. The LX 16 was too big, big flame, burned fast. Eco 2 was too small. Eco 4 burned well with good flame, but no smell. I bought 10 lb. bag of the PB, so still experimenting. Believe me, I wasted some product with the jars, now here I go again with the votives. But at least I am having fun.

...and they pop from the mold easily? I've got a "ton" of PB and don't know what to do with it. This may be the answer.

Yep- I use the wick pins also and what I do is after I pop them out (super easy) I tap the top of the pin on my concrete basement floor in the storage room and they usually slide right off- once in awhile I will get one that cracks and breaks off on the bottom a little but I just use those ones for myself and I let them cool overnight also

And I forgot to add I do a second pour also

Edited by moonshine

I didn't add anything. I just melted 1 lb pb wax, then poured into votive molds. One batch I scented, and another batch I added 1 oz of CS Buttercream FO. When I did test burn, I didn't smell buttercream, so am playing with wicks. Thus far, LX 14 burns slow with small flame. The LX 16 was too big, big flame, burned fast. Eco 2 was too small. Eco 4 burned well with good flame, but no smell. I bought 10 lb. bag of the PB, so still experimenting. Believe me, I wasted some product with the jars, now here I go again with the votives. But at least I am having fun.

Try a CD 5 with that scent and if its to hot try a 4

How long did you let the PB votives cure before you burned them. I let mine cure a week or better. The longer they cure the better.

I use 25% container and 75% PB

I have done this with 135- 464 and 415 with great results but I do have to say the 135 for this mix was my favorite but I hate to order it for just votives

Have you tried this combo for making pillars? I think I'm going to try & see & also for my embeds & see how it goes. Thank you

No I have tried a pillar - I am to scared to even go there with wicking- I tried a heart before, not tall but very wide and required 3 wicks... Blew out the sides everytime and I gave up! Not sure if it was the wicking or if the container wax made it to soft...

But I do use this for colored "chunks" in the votives- the only dying I ever do and it works and wicks the same but they are in votive holders- not pillar style