The downside to working in your kitchen...

The one downside to working in your kitchen, you inevitably end up with wax all over. It's on the table, it's on the tile floor, it's on the counter top, and it's on the stove.

I accidentally spilled some beeswax the other day into a stove burner. The next night I was making dinner, it was smoking (as it always does), and I've got the exhaust fan going to clear the air. I lifted the pan up... and oops...

No damage done.

post-16302-139458508792_thumb.jpg

Even though I have a craft room, it is carpeted and I prefer working in my kitchen. I like having everything so accessible.

I agree on the Presto. Even with it, I am still very messy (I am a waxident waiting to happen!). I am also a neat freak. I have a glass top stove which makes a nice flat surface. I also line the stove top with freezer paper. Easy clean up. Here is my little basic setup:

post-14519-139458508801_thumb.jpg

Edited by justajesuschick

I also work in my kitchen, and there just isn't enough counterspace. I have 2 rooms in my house that are not carpeted, the kitchen and my laundry room. The laundry room, at the moment, has become a storage room for extra supplies, in addition to my washer & dryer. My glass top stove serves as extra counter space most of the time.

I've got a presto pot that I use for votives. They actually aren't available here in Canada... had to have a family member pick one up on a trip to the US and bring it back with them. Can't use it for beeswax pillars though, the pour temp is low enough that the ball valve solidifies.

The stove is a temporary solution. I've got a brand new large wax melting tank in the basement... I'm picking up a couple hundred pounds of beeswax later this week, and will be building a frame for that tank next week. Can't wait to fire it up and watch the hydro meter spin! Two 1500w elements! Then the candle production really begins!

The one downside to working in your kitchen, you inevitably end up with wax all over. It's on the table, it's on the tile floor, it's on the counter top, and it's on the stove.

I accidentally spilled some beeswax the other day into a stove burner. The next night I was making dinner, it was smoking (as it always does), and I've got the exhaust fan going to clear the air. I lifted the pan up... and oops...

No damage done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25814[/ATTACH]

If my wife walked in the kitchen and saw that, my life expectancy would drop to zero.:shocked2:

There is a reason I moved operations to my garage, even with the very minimal insulation. We ended up finding out that even if you clean up wax spills from certain types of linoleum, the color gets sucked into said linoleum, and no matter what you do, it DOESN'T COME OUT.... Oops. :tiptoe:

There is a reason I moved operations to my garage, even with the very minimal insulation. We ended up finding out that even if you clean up wax spills from certain types of linoleum, the color gets sucked into said linoleum, and no matter what you do, it DOESN'T COME OUT.... Oops. :tiptoe:

You are neat. Explain the order of your utensils and gadgets. It seems

Even though I have a craft room, it is carpeted and I prefer working in my kitchen. I like having everything so accessible.

I agree on the Presto. Even with it, I am still very messy (I am a waxident waiting to happen!). I am also a neat freak. I have a glass top stove which makes a nice flat surface. I also line the stove top with freezer paper. Easy clean up. Here is my little basic setup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25815[/ATTACH]

You are neat. Please explain the order of your layout. I'm sure you use your utensils and gadgets in the order that you need them. I've been trying to do that without success.

You are neat. Please explain the order of your layout. I'm sure you use your utensils and gadgets in the order that you need them. I've been trying to do that without success.

I like clean, order and organization. Mine is a VERY newbie style setup. I have only been at this about a year. I am a hobbyist so it is far too remedial for one who does this as a business.

From the left over is cookie sheet filled with Ellipso cups ready to be poured, more cups in a sleeve and paper towels. Next is a paper plate with paper towel on it and it it used when I move the saucepan from the scale for stirring. The saucepan is on a warm "zone" behind the scale. Then my Presto which sits on a silicone pot holder (so it stays put) and then on waxed paper is a silicone spatula and ladle. I now stir in FO's with something called the Better Batter tool.

Again, mine is a really basic set up and I likely make in a very simple way!