Correct terminology for wax blends

Hi All,

I'm kind of stumped and would love some help with correct terminology. I'm using a wax blend , the majority being 4627 with some c3 which i find makes it a tad easier to wick. Wondering what i tell people and eventually put on my labels. i've seen alot of "natural wax" does that pertain to paraffin, too? Or is it safest to say parasoy? Food grade paraffin with a touch of soy? I'm assuming 4627 is food grade. Almost every candle on Candle Delirium says "soy blend". What are the percentages to be able to say that because alot of them are mainly paraffin.

I just want to be sure that i'm not misleading. But for some reason, parasoy doesn't sound as nice as natural waxes...

Thanks!

Edited by Zelda

I don't get hung up on defining my wax. If a customer requests to know the percentages then I will tell them. In general, I say that it is a custom blend of paraffin and soy waxes. Refrain from using the term "natural" because none of t is except for bee's wax. Parasoy describes a wax with a greater percentage of paraffin than soy which "soy blend" is less defined. I would use "soy blend" if I was using two of more soy waxes and maybe a blend with a greater amount of soy. A wax may also be a vegetable blend and not entirely soy.

Thanks for your answer, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. The funny thing is my testers say they could care less about the wax, all they care about is the scent! That was the same with me before I started making candles, now every little detail is obsessed about! Welcome to the world of making candles!

Thanks for your answer, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. The funny thing is my testers say they could care less about the wax, all they care about is the scent! That was the same with me before I started making candles, now every little detail is obsessed about! Welcome to the world of making candles!

I think most customers want a good scent throw and a properly burning candle. I recently heard a new term when a shop owner described the parasoy candles as "soy-based."

I'm sorta surprised that your question didn't initiate another hot debate about soy v/s petro.

I'm quite pleased to say that so far, although I don't feel a need to "customize" my 4630 or 6006, I do agree to what is posted up to now.

Hooray! "Harmony" !!! (OOPS! Isn't that the nickname for IGI-4630?)

Dave

In case you are still wondering, yes 4627 is food grade. :)

I also know that by law, not sure whose law - cant remember where I read it, but if a candle has at least 10% beeswax you can call it a beeswax candle.

I've occasionally had people ask me what kind of wax I use. I tell them it's my own blend. I say it in a way that does not encourage further questions. If they persist, I tell them I make no attempt to carry formulas around in my head and all my records are at home on my computer.

99.99% of the people who ask those type of questions wouldn't have a clue what the answer meant. That other tiny percent is another candlemaker being nosy, and my trade secrets are none of their business.

I also know that by law, not sure whose law - cant remember where I read it, but if a candle has at least 10% beeswax you can call it a beeswax candle.

To me this is so very stupid. I could not command the high prices I get for my beeswax wax candles if they were not 100% beeswax. I would never sell a blend and try to deceive the public by calling it just beeswax and not what it truly is 'a beeswax blend'. Most beeswax candle buyers are educated about beeswax, know the difference and wouldn't fall for it!! :rolleyes2

I'm sorta surprised that your question didn't initiate another hot debate about soy v/s petro.

I'm quite pleased to say that so far, although I don't feel a need to "customize" my 4630 or 6006, I do agree to what is posted up to now.

Hooray! "Harmony" !!! (OOPS! Isn't that the nickname for IGI-4630?)

Dave

YEP! I knew as I was typing the above that I was being premature and naive in thinking this thread wasn't going "South in a hand cart" !!!

Sorry! May the fun begin!

No more Comments are forthcoming from me on this thread.

"THANK YOU" or "GOOD" replies to this post are not encouraged, PLEASE.

TIA

*hiding*

Dave the Cowardly Chandler

Edited by emilyspoppy
A chicken's repair of spelling.

YEP! I knew as I was typing the above that I was being premature and naive in thinking this thread wasn't going "South in a hand cart" !!!

Sorry! May the fun begin!

No more Comments are forthcoming from me on this thread.

"THANK YOU" or "GOOD" replies to this post are not encouraged, PLEASE.

TIA

*hiding*

Dave the Cowardly Chandler

What on earth are you talking about? There is no argument here on soy vs paraffin. That's not what this thread is about. You seem to be imagining something.

And yeah, Chris, if I made beeswax candles, I would be proud of it and yes, consumers definitely know beeswax. If that's what they want, they want it to be the real thing. I believe the same is probably true of soy, or at least it was in the past when soy was all the rage. Even when I used soy, I only used straight soy for a short time. When I went to a blend, I promoted them as a blend, not just soy.

To the OP, sure it's safe to say 'parasoy', but your average consumer won't have the vaguest idea what that is.

What on earth are you talking about? There is no argument here on soy vs paraffin. That's not what this thread is about. You seem to be imagining something.

Okay, STOP being rude to emilyspoppy! That's enough already! I've seen you do it quite a few times, which makes me wonder if you're the "nasty" he had trouble with when he first started posting here. KNOCK IT OFF!!! :mad:

Okay, STOP being rude to emilyspoppy! That's enough already! I've seen you do it quite a few times, which makes me wonder if you're the "nasty" he had trouble with when he first started posting here. KNOCK IT OFF!!! :mad:

PLEASE / PLEASE / PLEASE

I DO APPRECIATE the gesture, I really do, but I'm cool with this. "Sliver" was not the one who PM'd me when I first joined.

"SOW" may not like me or may not even notice me, (She would have to be pretty badly sighted not to!) but I can handle the way she comes accross on the board to me. I think it's humerous sometimes, actually.

I'm sure there are a bunch of folks who don't care for my style or quirky sense of humor. but I understand that they can block me any old time they want to.

I sort of asked for what I got on this thread. Some folks simply don't like, appreciate or understand my humor. I was treading on ice with this topic, and I knew it.

And to think! I said I wasn't going to post here anymore. Now, not only am I stupid, I'm a fibber too! (lol)

I'm sorry if this posting is even more illiterate than usual for me, but I'm rushing to get this in before others join in what might turn into an unwarranted fray.

Have a great evening, everyone.

God bless us all!

No feud on my part.

I'll be offline shortly.

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy
I'm a MORON.

PLEASE / PLEASE / PLEASE

I DO APPRECIATE the gesture, I really do, but I'm cool with this. "Sliver" was not the one who PM'd me when I first joined.

"SOW" may not like me or may not even notice me, (She would have to be pretty badly sighted not to!) but I can handle the way she comes accross on the board to me. I think it's humerous sometimes, actually.

I'm sure there are bunch of folks who don't care for my style or quirky sense of humor. but I understand that they can block me any old time they want to.

I sort of asked for what I got on this thread. Some folks simply don't like or appreciate my humor. I was treading on ice with this thread, and I knew it.

And to think! I said I wasn't going to post anymore on this thread. Now, not only am I stupid, I'm a fibber too! (lol)

Have a great evening, everyone.

God bless us all!

No feud on my part.

Dave

Okay, I will stand down. :timeout:

I put on my label that my wax is a ParaSoy blend, if they ask, I tell them its a mix of paraffin and soy. If they want to know why I don't make all soy I just tell them I don't like the way it looks, burns or smells and that is usually the end of the conversation. So I guess my point is own the wax you use and be proud of it...lol :rockon:

Thanks for all the help, I sure do appreciate it. I was thinking I would have no idea how I would have made it through (still trying to make it through, actually) this often crazy process of testing candles without the help and abundance of info on this board!

To me this is so very stupid. I could not command the high prices I get for my beeswax wax candles if they were not 100% beeswax. I would never sell a blend and try to deceive the public by calling it just beeswax and not what it truly is 'a beeswax blend'. Most beeswax candle buyers are educated about beeswax, know the difference and wouldn't fall for it!! :rolleyes2

I agree.

To me it is a devious thing to do to customers.

I just want you to know I posted what I had read - not that I believe in it.

From looking at a Root container candle we have here at the house, I believe it's a beeswax/paraffin blend, so would you call that parabee? lol On their videos they show how they order and use paraffin as well as beeswax. But, anyhoo, here's how they slickly describe their wax as "candles that USE the purest beeswax":

Quoting from their website: "What do you call candles that have been crafted with passion and perfection by the same family for five generations and more than 140 years? What do you call candles that use the purest beeswax, an all-natural color palette and sophisticated, essential oil fragrances? What do you call candles that are consistently flawless, cleaner burning, longer lasting and elegantly designed? What do you call the best candle in America, made in America? If you call them Root Candles... you'd be right."

So a parasoy chandler could say that their candles use the purest soy wax and an all-natural color palette, blah blah blah, and the customer sees the words "purest soy wax" next to the words "all-natural color" but doesn't notice the words "use" and "palette" so they think its pure soy and natural color dye. Very slick!

Edited by HorsescentS

Yeah, it's all about marketing not the product. Take Apple for example, not the best devices out there but they have created a demand out of all proportion to the functionality of the device. I make very good candles, those who use them love them but I can't generate enough sales to make it worthwhile. I don't have time for craft shows and shipping cost have killed any online sales but I'll keep plugging along. What I need a is marketing device to differentiate me from everyone else. Just haven't found it yet. So, my candles remain parasoy rather than "Dino-soy" or some other ploy.