How much testing?

Right now I sell my friends candles but I am saving profits to start making my own. Im curious just how much did you spend in testing (time, materials etc..)? I know its important to test wick size so I suppose I will start out with sample packs to see whats appropriate. To start I will probably use either 6 or 8oz mason jars. I probably wont make anything else for a while. I found a local supplier that sells the soywax which is what I want to use. Im afraid of messing it all up and thus being out of what little money I can put into it right now. From what I can tell.. soy needs a little bit bigger wick? I had written down cd16 as it seemed to be recommended for that size jar with soy wax. I am also interested in the lead free wicks. Does that make a difference in what size to use? Thanks for reading and helping out a newbie ;)

Tiff

Hi Tiff,

The friend that you were selling for, I'm sure went through extensive testing in order to sell to the general public. So, it's very important to test everything. I mean everything! Whether it takes 3 months or 3 years, or a new jar or new scent. The upside is that you will learn lots and lots, downside is that you will go thru the money very quickly. You don't want to have a fire bomb on your hands, so make sure everything is right with it. After all, your name will be on that candle and you want to be proud of that candle you put on the market.

Here is a thread you need to read. Please read it all.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6395&highlight=poll

You will find that most of us have spent thousands of dollars in just testing a few products. We will never see that money again because adding in to our candle prices is amost impossible.

This is not something that you can just spend a few hundred and expect to be in business and make a lot of money you will also find most us it took 2 to 3 years after we did start selling to make a profit and then the profit was very small.

Also if you are realy in this to make money you will make more money selling your friends candle than trying to make your own.

I'm really new to this too (5 weeks) and know right where you're coming from. :highfive: A lot of people start out with a kit and that's probably best but I was sure of the wax and FO's I wanted to use so I didn't start with a kit. I do recommend starting out with one type/style of candle and perfecting it. This allows you to focus on fewer materials and wicks within a certain size perimeter. For example, I started out with a 2.5 " and 3" container so I only had to purchase 3 or 4 wick sizes to test with. Your wax supplier should carry wicks that are recommended for their wax plus there's a wealth of experience shared on this forum that can guide you along.

I limited myself to 6 FO's. Start out with the smallest size container and if you like the FO after you've burned the candles then you can buy the largest size next time. I made the mistake of purchasing too much too fast and have large containers of fragrance I don't like.

One trick that someone shared with me is if you try a wick and you can see after the first burn that it's not performing as it should then replace it. Extinquish the wick, pull it out with pliers while the wax is still soft and replace it with a length from a new wick size. You won't be able to replace the wick tab but at least you can test different wicks without having to use more wax. I let my wax pool harden completely before lighting the new wick. This may not be kosher but it works for me. Of course, I've had to learn how a wick is suppose to behave and how a wax pool is suppose to burn, and the difference between hang-up and residue - there's so much to consider when choosing a wick and I've just had to learn by reading this forum - daily - and test, test, test. :whistle:

It does take an investment but being frugal can at least get you started. I haven't sold any candles yet but hope to in a few weeks time.

Good luck and don't give up!

Linda

I appreciate your feedback.

A little more background.. I have an idea of what I want this to become. I shared with my husband that I wanted to keep this small.. the neighborhood, Church friends, Community friends and family that sort of thing. I won't be setting up a shed out back, I won't be buying a store front :)

Adsoy, Im with ya girl (errr guy?) I have one size I offer now and I plan on keeping it. Its a 6oz widemouth mason. Mom and i printed labels that fit the jar so i figure thats a good thing to stick with lol. So I had the same idea in regards to wick.. I have one size in which to perfect. Later? who knows. I love the idea of testing more than one wick in a candle thats cleaver but I also understand I need to learn how candles behave first.

I figure if I have one size candle and start with 6 fragrances (again on the same page adsoy LOL) this should not cost me thousands or years to perfect should it? My husband has a great outlook on this.. if they suck I dont have to buy my own candles lol I have plenty to burn HA! In any case I wont start for a while because I am earning enough yet to start up. I guess i have this in my favor.. I love candles. Just LOVE em! If I was lukewarm about it, I guess I wouldnt put as much heart into it.

Off to read the thread vicky suggested. Thank you for sharing it.. and your expertise.

Tiff

Wowsers is that an eye opener. I had no clue you could spend that much before selling. 18k for a machine? I thought you whiped the stuff up in a pot and poured it! I guess I have much to learn. In any case I wont be spending like that. Its not there to spend LOL. If it starts to go that route, I'll have to stop making them entirely and go back to wholesale/retail with my friend. Ya cant squeeze blood from a turnip :) In any case I do think I will enjoy the learning curve.. I mean people must or they wouldn't do it right?

Someone posted there that they made one until it smelled like their friends them moved on. Thats somewhat where I fit in.

Thanks for the link Vicky

Tiff

Here is a thread you need to read. Please read it all.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6395&highlight=poll

You will find that most of us have spent thousands of dollars in just testing a few products. We will never see that money again because adding in to our candle prices is amost impossible.

This is not something that you can just spend a few hundred and expect to be in business and make a lot of money you will also find most us it took 2 to 3 years after we did start selling to make a profit and then the profit was very small.

Also if you are realy in this to make money you will make more money selling your friends candle than trying to make your own.

I thought I would add my 2 cents, I first bought a kit, just to see if I would like doing this and of course I did like it alot. Then I bought a 50 lb box of soy wax,4 FOs, 2 different kinds of wicks, and bought 4 cases of the 4 oz. jelly jars. Oh and liquid dyes, I spent a good $ 140, I honestly have no idea how much I have spent since then, and I do have to say I have about 20 FOs, every color dye, and have bought 2 different waxs since then, every kind and size of wick there is, and a few different jars now.

Oh and I forgot about molds, I'm addicted to making tarts now.

I have only been making candles since August, I have 10 testers, and each have a different opinion about my candles.

I say I have about another year or 2 before I even think about selling my candles, Yes I have come up with a name and filed it but nowhere near selling them.

I take my candles with me to work, so I can test them, testing is very important and very long.

Basically what I'm trying to say is it can get very expensive, and timely.

But Good Luck,

Mindy :)

Tiff, now that you've been properly indoctrinated about realistic expectations, let me throw you some encouragement. Your candles need to be good and safe, but they don't have to be the best in the world. Keeping it simple and developing good candles with limited resources can be a great exercise. You can choose some materials and really learn to master them rather than searching high and low for an elusive ideal.

1 - Choose a container that's easy to wick. Very important.

2 - Choose a fairly widely used wax that you can obtain with minimal shipping costs. Commit to using it and learn to make it work as well as possible rather than testing 5 different waxes.

3 - Choose a type of wick that generally works well in soy and that people are succesfully using in the wax you've chosen. Stick to it and buy a handful of sizes in the vicinity of what you'll need. There are suppliers that will sell in quantities of say 25 rather than 100.

4 - Choose an FO supplier that tests their fragrances in soy. It can be hard to find scents you like that work optimally, so a specialty supplier like "The Scented Bean" can improve your odds.

5 - Don't stray from your one container and 6 fragrances until you really have it down.

Thank you for this post. It put my mind at ease, it really did! Thankfully, I know how to not bite off more than I can chew. I have a moto.. its boring but it keeps me safe ;) Its *stick with what you know* I can never go wrong if I stick to what I know. Now granted in life sometimes its worthy to step out on a limb but there are 2 times I NEVER do this. When it comes to money or driving directions. LOL I know funny but hey keeps me from getting lost.. and food on the table. :)

Im reading my heart out. I will do this and I will be prepared :) Thanks!

Tiff

Tiff, now that you've been properly indoctrinated about realistic expectations, let me throw you some encouragement. Your candles need to be good and safe, but they don't have to be the best in the world. Keeping it simple and developing good candles with limited resources can be a great exercise. You can choose some materials and really learn to master them rather than searching high and low for an elusive ideal.

2 - Choose a fairly widely used wax that you can obtain with minimal shipping costs. Commit to using it and learn to make it work as well as possible rather than testing 5 different waxes.

3 - Choose a type of wick that generally works well in soy and that people are succesfully using in the wax you've chosen. Stick to it and buy a handful of sizes in the vicinity of what you'll need. There are suppliers that will sell in quantities of say 25 rather than 100.

4 - Choose an FO supplier that tests their fragrances in soy. It can be hard to find scents you like that work optimally, so a specialty supplier like "The Scented Bean" can improve your odds.

5 - Don't stray from your one container and 6 fragrances until you really have it down.

Very good advice. It worked well for me to focus on one jar size and master it before testing a lot of fragrances. I am still testing that same jar with new fragrances and I started 3 months ago. I have since learned what wicks work best with certain fragrances. I am very close to selling but I bet I have gone through over 100 lbs of wax. I will only sell this sized jar to begin with because I am confident I have tested, tested, and then tested some more.;)

-and with soy I know that every new batch I get will have to be tested because they can vary.:yes: