I'm new, but isn't this dangerous?

Check out this video on youtube..

I am still very new to candle making, and I am loving every minute of it. I have recycled some candles in this way for my own personal use.. but my q's is.. isn't it dangerous? Mixing different waxes together, not knowing what melting points and flash points you're working with. And to sell those types of candles seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. :shocked2:

What do you think??:confused:

Nope not dangerous at all really. Flash points only have to do with your FO's & EO's and once they are incorporated with the wax, there isn't an issue. The only thing that may be a problem would be the correct wicking with the various different waxes used. But, sounds like he's been doing this for years, so he probably has a good idea on wicking that won't be too large. :cool2:

Plus the flash points on wax is quite high. It is not like someone would heat up wax, let it smoke, and keep heating it. Plus when you have a flash pt of a fo say that is 118 degrees, this is at its full concentration. Not when it is being added at say a 6% load to wax. Isn't anything dangerous to a certain point? You have come to the right place. Members on this forum are amazing. I personally have learned and continue to learn so much. Btw since I sell I also carry product liability ins. It makes me sleep better at night. Like Chris said, wicking is probably the biggest thing.

Edited by JI

• 1 year later...

Nope not dangerous at all really. Flash points only have to do with your FO's & EO's and once they are incorporated with the wax, there isn't an issue. The only thing that may be a problem would be the correct wicking with the various different waxes used. But, sounds like he's been doing this for years, so he probably has a good idea on wicking that won't be too large. :cool2:

Plus the flash points on wax is quite high. It is not like someone would heat up wax, let it smoke, and keep heating it. Plus when you have a flash pt of a fo say that is 118 degrees, this is at its full concentration. Not when it is being added at say a 6% load to wax. Isn't anything dangerous to a certain point? You have come to the right place. Members on this forum are amazing. I personally have learned and continue to learn so much. Btw since I sell I also carry product liability ins. It makes me sleep better at night. Like Chris said, wicking is probably the biggest thing.

Sorry for hijacking this....I just want to make sure I'm clear on this, so even if I have a FO with a FP of 150*, if I add it to my wax at say 175* it's safe? All my other FO's have much higher FP so I want to make sure I don't blow my kitchen up, lol! Thanks in advance!

The flash point is the temperature at which the fumes of something will catch fire when exposed to an open flame.  This is important to know.  It is not necessarily the evaporation point (water evaporates but good luck getting the steam to catch fire).

It's also important to understand that "flashing off" is not strictly related to the flash point, really.  Flashing off is when the product evaporates/steams off very quickly (in a flash) when it's added to something hot.  Again, water will flash off if you pour it into a super hot pan but it won't catch fire.