Any help with a wax to replace J50

I have been using J50 for over 10 years and had a supply that lasted until now. What are people thoughts about the closest wax to J50? I have heard J223 and I have heard IGI 4636. Any opinions? I can get both near my home but wonder if there is anything else that will not cause me too many changes in wicks etc? Thanks

I have been using J50 for over 10 years and had a supply that lasted until now. What are people thoughts about the closest wax to J50? I have heard J223 and I have heard IGI 4636. Any opinions? I can get both near my home but wonder if there is anything else that will not cause me too many changes in wicks etc? Thanks

Both can replace/substitute for J50.

In addition;

I've worked with J-223 / J-50 / IGI-4636 / IGI-4627 / IGI-4630.

I found the wicking properties to be pretty similar.

I settled on IGI-4630 as my production wax. You can do a board search to learn more about it.

If you're interested in testing 4630 without a big committment, you can get a two-pound sample from Peak. They offer several wax samples including IGI-6006 another popular wax that I keep in stock for tarts and clam shell melts. Since you are changing waxes, you might find this a good time to try my favorite or other popular waxes.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

May I ask if you use zinc wicks....thats what I have always used with the j50. I have a slab of 4630 now. I am going to do some testing. If you don't use zinc wicks do you mind sharing what you use. thanks so much for your help. I can pick up the 4630 and j223 about 15 minutes from my job which is why I am trying to stick with those. I wish they carreid the 4636 but they don't. Appreciate your help.

OUCH!

Sorry! The only thing I won't give away on the board is our wick specfications. I stumbled onto it several years ago after acquiring enough to last several lifetimes. I've not seen the wick we use mentioned in any wicking charts I've researched. I am VERY pleased with it, though.

I will state however that zinc wicks will work for all of the waxes I've mentioned. I've used them in all but the parasoy blend of IGI-6006. I would not recommend zinc for "natural" waxes.

If you are pouring paraffin containers similar to the 8 ounce jelly jars that are very popular (We use these.) I would start my wicking using a 51Z wick if my memory serves me right. That would in my opinion be a good place to start. I think many chandlers will agree with this.

JMO/HTH

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Let us know how you do with the wax change. Good luck!

BTW: You cannot imagine how jealous I am of you being able to pick up 4630 with only a half hour round trip drive. I'd have to stay overnight in a motel to pick-up wax!

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy
addition

OUCH!

Sorry! The only thing I won't give away on the board is our wick specfications. I stumbled onto it several years ago after acquiring enough to last several lifetimes. I've not seen the wick we use mentioned in any wicking charts I've researched. I am VERY pleased with it, though.

I will state however that zinc wicks will work for all of the waxes I've mentioned. I've used them in all but the parasoy blend of IGI-6006. I would not recommend zinc for "natural" waxes.

If you are pouring paraffin containers similar to the 8 ounce jelly jars that are very popular (We use these.) I would start my wicking using a 51Z wick if my memory serves me right. That would in my opinion be a good place to start. I think many chandlers will agree with this.

JMO/HTH

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Let us know how you do with the wax change. Good luck!

BTW: You cannot imagine how jealous I am of you being able to pick up 4630 with only a half hour round trip drive. I'd have to stay overnight in a motel to pick-up wax!

Dave

Zincs actually work perfect in 6006, and that's the wick most of the 6006 users on this forum seem to use.

I'm glad you like 6006 for tarts and clamshells! In candles 6006 won't throw everything so you have to kind of stick to FO's that throw well in soy, but is that also true with 6006 in tarts and clamshells? or will it throw all the FO's when heated in a tart melter?

Zincs actually work perfect in 6006, and that's the wick most of the 6006 users on this forum seem to use.

I'm glad you like 6006 for tarts and clamshells! In candles 6006 won't throw everything so you have to kind of stick to FO's that throw well in soy, but is that also true with 6006 in tarts and clamshells? or will it throw all the FO's when heated in a tart melter?

I really never tried wicking 6006 with zinc. When I do wick it, which is seldom, I use the same wicks we use in 4630.

I based my advice on the claims that zinc didn't work well in natural waxes. I considered that since 6006 is partially composed of soy that a non-zinc wick would be preferred. I actually am not qualified by experience to make ideal wick recommendations on 6006.

I find it interesting, though, that you write that 6006 acts like a soy wax for fragrance-type throwing qualities, but like paraffin when wicking. Although I have little experience with zinc wicks in 6006, I have tried them in beeswax, palm wax and soy wax. The results were dismal in those natural waxes in my opinion.

I'm wondering if most chandlers were wicking 6006 with non-zinc wicks, they may get a better throw with most fragrances. Just wondering. ???

As I write this, I begin to see a hole in my theory, though. A melt pool is a melt pool. Maybe I just lucked out with my choice of fragrances for my wickless candles. These fragrances are my best sellers in candles. Maybe they are just good hot throwers in both paraffin and soy wax. I know they have a great cold throw. As you know when you are selling directly to the customer, as in a shop, a good cold throw is essential.

Regardless, it really doesn't worry me, because I'm sold on 4630. If they stop selling it; I'll switch to 4627. If they stop selling that wax; I'll stop making candles. My days of production re-pours are behind me.

I have to admit (PLEASE: Nobody, jump out of a window.) I don't do the extensive hot testing as much on wickless candles as I do on wicked projects. We stock over 100 fragrances in candles and 40 wickless fragrances.

The cold throw is great and the hot throw has been very good on those wickless I have tested. We offer a money back guarantee or exchange on all of our scented products and I've never had a return or complaint. I also use at least a 10% FO load on the 6006 wickless because I know the wax can easily handle that amount and there are no burning issues to be concerned with from over-loading as with candles. IMO

Dave

Thank you for that info, Dave. That's very helpful. :D I, too, found that I had to go up to 9 or 10% in 6006, and I've read the same thing about Victory Blend parasoy, which is said to have the same CT and HT as 4627. I keep meaning to try it, but still busy enough testing 4627. I'm planning to use 6006 for tarts.

Thank you for that info, Dave. That's very helpful. :D I, too, found that I had to go up to 9 or 10% in 6006, and I've read the same thing about Victory Blend parasoy, which is said to have the same CT and HT as 4627. I keep meaning to try it, but still busy enough testing 4627. I'm planning to use 6006 for tarts.

Hey! Glad to offer some help for what it's worth. It's only an opinion from an old burned out shell of a dude, though.

You and the nice lady from TN were two of the first folks to make me feel welcome here. I do appreciate that. :awww:

The only issues I have with 6006 are the sink holes when pouring narrow containers that are more tall than wide. VERY slow cooling on 6006 is essential, too. Repours are often required unless you're VERY careful.

I do like the way that 6006 takes dye and since they no longer worry me, I find that wet spots are not an issue. NOT ONE CUSTOMER HAS EVER EVEN MENTIONED WET SPOTS TO ME, MY WIFE OR OUR SALES CLERK. . . EVER !!!

I used to pour 16 ounce wickless apothecary jars in 6006 for use in the tall sided electric warmers, but they seem to have fallen from favor in our shop so I discontinued them. I also discontinued selling the small electric "hot plate" type warmers a few years ago which can create mini-volcanos of molten lava like wax, but that's another forum.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

Hope you get your Emma and Status jars to behave like you want.

Dave