Stabilo & Stabilo KST Wicks

"Formerly known as CD and CDN wicks respectively, the Stabilo and Stabilo KST wicks are coreless, non-directional, flat braided wicks with a special paper filament woven around them.

This configuration is engineered to promote maximum and consistent capillary action while ensuring a wick trimming flame posture.The Stabilo series is used in many different applications and is especially compatible with the harder-to-melt viscous waxes of both paraffin and vegetable base. The Stabilo KST series of wick is identical to the Stabilo series except that it has been treated with a special patent-pending process to resist the corrosive action of the acidic nature of natural-based candle waxes." http://www.wicksunlimited.com/heinz_candle_wicks.php

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. In addition to the supplier I linked above, here's another source, and the wick sizes are listed in the drop-down menu near the bottom of the page next to the word "Options."

CDN Wicks (All Purpose)

CDN wicks were invented in Germany for use in steric acid candles. They are the same size as corresponding CD wicks but they are soaked in a different finishing solution that helps to neutralize the acidic properties of natural candles. You may find that a CDN will burn out an inch further then its regular CD counter part. For instance, the CD18 will burn out to about 3" in EL soy container with Vanilla Voodoo but a CDN18 will burn 4" in diameter in the EL soy container!!!!

Due to increased efficiency in burning CDN wicks may burn cleaner in natural waxes. http://flutterdyes.net/viewitem.asp?Id=20

Edited by HorsescentS

Not sure which jars you are using but I have a lot of good results using RRD wicks.

I do have to double wick the larger jars, 3 1/2"+.

I did recently purchase some CSN wicks to try.

It did take me awhile to figure out RRD for my pillars, gotta watch the burn times.

You may find that a CDN will burn out an inch further then its regular CD counter part. For instance, the CD18 will burn out to about 3" in EL soy container with Vanilla Voodoo but a CDN18 will burn 4" in diameter in the EL soy container!!!!

Due to increased efficiency in burning CDN wicks may burn cleaner...

I wonder how well these would do with 4627 & 4630 - as far as getting the extra inch and cleaner burn.

I wonder how well these would do with 4627 & 4630 - as far as getting the extra inch and cleaner burn.

That's what I'm wondering too! I suggested to ChandlerWicks thast we should try single wicking our 20 oz Emma jar, which is 4" diameter, with LX wicks in 4627 on our thread about the Emma Jars at Wallyworld. CW has some LX wicks so she's going to try it. For 4627 you can wick down one or two sizes from soy, so a CDN 14 or 16 might work well in a 4" dia. jar and may be small enough that they don't smoke.

Edited by HorsescentS

That would be very neat as I have tried to wick my apothecaries 4" diameter with CD wicks clear up to the 20. Can't be done with the 4627, unless you either like soot, or don't mind a lot of hang. I've tried to single wick the same jar with 4627 using LX wicks, no dice. I did notice that some of the LX wicks actually make the glass hotter than the CDs for similar size.

That would be very neat as I have tried to wick my apothecaries 4" diameter with CD wicks clear up to the 20. Can't be done with the 4627, unless you either like soot, or don't mind a lot of hang. I've tried to single wick the same jar with 4627 using LX wicks, no dice. I did notice that some of the LX wicks actually make the glass hotter than the CDs for similar size.

Oops! I totally messed up my comment above, I didn't mean to write "LX wicks," but I got confused because ChandlerWicks and I recently discussed trying those wicks too. I only meant to comment about CDN wicks, so it's the CDN wicks that ChandlerWicks most recently agreed to try in our 4" diameter 20 oz Emma Jars that we're desperately trying to wick in 4627. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by HorsescentS