Hot throw could be better...?

Zelda

Hi All,

I'm been using 4627 and for the most part love it! One of the most important things for me is a super strong hot and cold throw, which is another reason why i chose 4627. I've been adding 8% FO and for some scents it's working out (like honeysuckle and florals) but others seem weak, like woodsmoke, cedars, patchouli types. I can't figure out if this is just the nature of these kinds of scents or i'm doing something wrong? I heat wax to 205, add fo at 180 and stir for 2 minutes then pour at 150. Should i add more oil, i was under the impression i wouldn't need to with this wax. My oils are from great suppliers. Many thanks!!!

Hi All,

I'm been using 4627 and for the most part love it! One of the most important things for me is a super strong hot and cold throw, which is another reason why i chose 4627. I've been adding 8% FO and for some scents it's working out (like honeysuckle and florals) but others seem weak, like woodsmoke, cedars, patchouli types. I can't figure out if this is just the nature of these kinds of scents or i'm doing something wrong? I heat wax to 205, add fo at 180 and stir for 2 minutes then pour at 150. Should i add more oil, i was under the impression i wouldn't need to with this wax. My oils are from great suppliers. Many thanks!!!

I think it's important to follow the manufacturer's directions regarding temperatures, so your temps are different than what's recommended by IGI and that could be causing a problem.

Have you tried warming your FO in a pyrex measuring cup before you add it to the wax?

What wicks are you using? The type of wick can make a big difference in HT.

Many FO's throw better in 4627 with less FO than 8%, so try cutting back to 6%.

I would let it cure for at least 48 hours or even longer than that to let the wax harden up and for the HT to really develop.

If you're doing everything right in terms of temperature, wick, FO load, stirring, and cure time, any FO that doesn't have a good throw in 4627 is a dud, even if it's from a great supplier.

But, it can take you a week to recover from candle nose after you pour, or after you do a lot of test burning, so you won't be able to smell even strong candles if you have candle nose.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks! It's so hard to imagine that FO's could work better with less added, but i'll try it, it's so frustrating when you want an oil to work out that doesn't want to. I do preheat my oils and use a combo of htp 104 and 105 wicks, what's kind of odd is the 104's seem to burn faster and reach a full MP before the 105's, and i would assume the opposite would be true. You never know what's going to happen in testing, i had 2 candles made at the exact same time with the exact same htp 105 wicks and one burned perfect and the other was so much slower to burn. When i started using 4627 the IGI instructions were not loading on their website, i cobbled together my temps from what i read here on the board, going to check Igi's site again. Thanks for your imput, Horsescents, always appeciated and great to hear about the candle nose, always forget that!

Thanks! It's so hard to imagine that FO's could work better with less added, but i'll try it, it's so frustrating when you want an oil to work out that doesn't want to. I do preheat my oils and use a combo of htp 104 and 105 wicks, what's kind of odd is the 104's seem to burn faster and reach a full MP before the 105's, and i would assume the opposite would be true. You never know what's going to happen in testing, i had 2 candles made at the exact same time with the exact same htp 105 wicks and one burned perfect and the other was so much slower to burn. When i started using 4627 the IGI instructions were not loading on their website, i cobbled together my temps from what i read here on the board, going to check Igi's site again. Thanks for your imput, Horsescents, always appeciated and great to hear about the candle nose, always forget that!

Yes, it is really weird regarding FO's that less is more. I could not wrap my brain around that at all when I first started, so I loaded up my candles with 12%, then 10, then 9, then 8, then 6. LOL I had to learn the hard way. I would still use 9% in 6006 parasoy though, because I can't smell anything in that wax unless I load it up.

Edited by HorsescentS

I use the 4627 as well, but I heat to 195-200, add dye then oil and try my best to pour at 180. I use Zinc wicks though, but always have an amazing HT & CT..maybe pour a bit hotter?

Thanks for sharing your temps, that's interesting. The IGI instructions are add FO between 185 and 195, and pour between 185 and 175 into heated jars.

Have you had any luck double wicking it in anything, like the 16 oz Apothecary jar, for example? I know it's easy to double wick in a short straight-sides container like an 8 oz tin, but trying to double wick a taller jar seems to cause problems with drowning wicks...at least with HTP's.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks for sharing! My next step will be adding FO hotter then pouring around 180, I'm thinking that will help since I keep hearing about how the hot throw is amazing on this wax and mine seem to be falling a little short. Back to testing!!!

Thanks for sharing your temps, that's interesting. The IGI instructions are add FO between 185 and 195, and pour between 185 and 175 into heated jars.

Have you had any luck double wicking it in anything, like the 16 oz Apothecary jar, for example? I know it's easy to double wick in a short straight-sides container like an 8 oz tin, but trying to double wick a taller jar seems to cause problems with drowning wicks...at least with HTP's.

I've double wicked a 16oz tin with 51's but have yet to burn it. I did fill a 26oz jar once for a friend and double wicked with 51's and he said it burned great. Other then that I only use 8 & 16oz jelly/mason jars. OH...I did double with a wide mouth mason jar once...and let's just say LOL:laugh2:It was a FIREBALL!

I've double wicked a 16oz tin with 51's but have yet to burn it. I did fill a 26oz jar once for a friend and double wicked with 51's and he said it burned great. Other then that I only use 8 & 16oz jelly/mason jars. OH...I did double with a wide mouth mason jar once...and let's just say LOL:laugh2:It was a FIREBALL!

Oh my gosh! I bet it was a fireball! Scary! That's interesting about your double wicked 26 oz jar burning great with the two 51z. I'm afraid if they don't trim those two zincs there will be two massive flames down in that jar, that's what scares me about double wicking with zincs...but I know people do it all the time.