Metal wick bars causing uneven cooling

I recently got some metal wick bars to replace my makeshift (and not terribly effective) chopstick method, and have noticed that when I use the metal wicks the wax underneath cools unevenly such that there are air pockets and unsightly dips on the surface of the wax. Does anybody else have problems with this? Any suggestions for wick bars that won't do this, or other methods of keeping wicks centered?

I love the chopsticks. I used in the beginning and it worked so well that I have never done anything else.

Although, the last time I did Chinese take-away they had the chopsticks that are already separate, not the kind that are attached at the top, so I didn't get anymore. I use chopsticks for stirring, holding wicks, lots of little things here and there. :)

Turn them over so the "v" shape is on the top. They did the same to me but turning over seemed to help some. I use the Boston looking ones now and they work better for me.

Turning them over will help - but so will not filling your mold so full. You have to do a second pour anyway.

I used to use chopsticks too and switched to the wick bars and noticed the same problem. Didn't even think it was thee wick bar that was causing it, but it makes perfect sense!!! I will try with the "v" up and see how much that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The bowtie wick clips are, in my humble opinion, the best.

I have never had the issue you are describing though with any of my paraffin waxes.

http://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c27,p1161

Peak does sell some really nifty wick holders that are made of plastic.

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Miscellaneous.aspx

at the bottom of the miscellaneous page you should see two of them, they offer a total of four.

I wish someone had something for the darn 9oz Hex jar.

I usually end up bending some bowties, and putting them on upside down and hoping they dont get knocked.

Edited by Old Crab
added a link

Turning them over will help - but so will not filling your mold so full. You have to do a second pour anyway.

I will do that next time. I had been pouring them too full and trying to keep it to the convenient "one-pour" that certain soys claim they are, but really don't seem to be... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've found with my beeswax that I had been pouring too hot. Now I'm pouring down near 150f, and a skin of wax forms fairly quickly after pouring. Once the skin has formed, the wick bar come off, and the candle is free to shrink down, instead of generating voids. It's a little more hands-on, but looks so much nicer with the beeswax.