Blending 4627/4630 with 4786

Hello

A few months back I gave some wax 4627, 4630, & 4786 to my sister to "play" with.

I gave her a few examples of how to use the wax and told her to have fun.

The other day she gave me two jelly jars to test burn for her.

She told me the one is a blend of 4627 & 4786 while the other is 4630 & 4786.

Truly I'm a little bit intrigued, the wax is not rock hard but not soft/gooey.

They both throw well, but I think they need to be wicked up a touch.

The reason i think this is that at 3 hours burn it has barely touched the glass sidewall. She used cd-8 wicks, which I use for just plain 4627 in that jar.

I would not have thought of mixing these waxes, has anyone done this and with success?

She used a 60/40 blend with the 4786 being the 60, and 1oz FO per pound.

Seems to me I may have tried that combo.

Of course you did. You are as bad as me! Actually, I learned from you!

I have tried these blends but only in melts. It is said here that the 4786 is closest to Scentsy's wax. It is a medium consistency to me. 4630 is softer and of course 4627 is the softest I have ever used.

For me, it is starting to appear that I could make anything a good blend if I add 4627 or 4630.

Uh oh !!!

Controversy time! (And to think my probationary period should be over tomorrow!)

I'm surprised that IGI is able to continue marketing 4786 with 4627, 4630 and 6006 on their palete.

Except for being a more "traditional" AKA "Old-Fashioned" wax; 4786 offers no benefits to the others that I've mentioned.

I also don't feel (Here's the real controversy!) that we (mostly I) have the talent to make a better product than a major manufacturer of candle wax.

I do blend (mix) 4627 & 4630 sometimes and I have added a bit of a pillar blend (very little) to my 6006 for improved release properties in clamshell melts, but that's about it.

I stock quite a few fragrance offerings and CONSTANT testing because I can't stop fooling around with wax blends isn't something I'm much into.

I'm always impressed when I read posts where some of the very talented chandlers on this board appear to be master blenders of wax, but I'm just too lazy to get interested in doing it myself.

I'm a "one-pour" kinda guy!

JMO

Dave

:laugh2:

Am ordering a sample of 4630 from Peak one of these days. I did try it in the past but the posted results tell me I need to revisit that wax.

Footnote!

The day that IGI no longer sells 4630, is the day I quit making candles as a business.

I stock quite a few fragrance offerings and CONSTANT testing because I can't stop fooling around with wax blends isn't something I'm much into.

I'm always impressed when I read posts where some of the very talented chandlers on this board appear to be master blenders of wax, but I'm just too lazy to get interested in doing it myself.

I no longer like wax testing. I have been at it for a few months and I am over it. It is the Type A in me that forces me to complete the test and settle on a blend. I have done okay with mixing FO's but I am not as clever as most here.

I am looking forward to settling on a wax blend and getting back to playing with FO's!!

Edited by justajesuschick

I no longer like wax testing. I have been at it for a few months and I am over it

That could very well be what is happening over here. I need wax but I am procrastinating ordering it. The usual me would have been all over that before I ever ran out.

Dave ~ Hang around us awhile. You'll see just about everything blended with something else at some point. I must admit though, in the end it is coming down to a handful that have made the cut. 4625 will be my base for melts, the container portion will be 4630, 4627 or CBL125. My container wax it is going to be one of those three waxes as well possibly with a little 415 tossed in. Maybe....Just burned a tealight today made with 464. It had amazing HT.

Oh, and I have one more possibility....There is a blend I still have to try that a certain person keeps reminding me about. Oh, Ravens....where art thou?

I no longer like wax testing. I have been at it for a few months and I am over it. It is the Type A in me that forces me to complete the test and settle on a blend. I have done okay with mixing FO's but I am not as clever as most here.

I am looking forward to settling on a wax blend and getting back to playing with FO's!!

My kinda woman!

A Christian and a FO-Holic!

:highfive:

God bless you!

Dave

Hello

A few months back I gave some wax 4627, 4630, & 4786 to my sister to "play" with.

I gave her a few examples of how to use the wax and told her to have fun.

The other day she gave me two jelly jars to test burn for her.

She told me the one is a blend of 4627 & 4786 while the other is 4630 & 4786.

Truly I'm a little bit intrigued, the wax is not rock hard but not soft/gooey.

They both throw well, but I think they need to be wicked up a touch.

The reason i think this is that at 3 hours burn it has barely touched the glass sidewall. She used cd-8 wicks, which I use for just plain 4627 in that jar.

I would not have thought of mixing these waxes, has anyone done this and with success?

She used a 60/40 blend with the 4786 being the 60, and 1oz FO per pound.

Sounds to me like she used the right wick because you don't want the melt pool to touch the glass sidewall until the 3rd three-hour burn session.

She used the same blend that Cajun Candle Supply recommends and uses in their own candles: "We use a special blend of two waxes to make our highly regarded container candles. We use 60% of our “IGI-4786 container wax ” and 40% of our "IGI-4633 one pour wax” to make a blended wax that offers a wonderful melt pool and exquisite scent throw." http://www.cajuncandles.com/container-candle-making-guide.html

Edited by HorsescentS

I IS here, hehehe, and yes, I am still waiting feedback from you... ya know, whenever you get around to it, no hurry.... only been waiting a month or so :laugh2:

That could very well be what is happening over here. I need wax but I am procrastinating ordering it. The usual me would have been all over that before I ever ran out.

Dave ~ Hang around us awhile. You'll see just about everything blended with something else at some point. I must admit though, in the end it is coming down to a handful that have made the cut. 4625 will be my base for melts, the container portion will be 4630, 4627 or CBL125. My container wax it is going to be one of those three waxes as well possibly with a little 415 tossed in. Maybe....Just burned a tealight today made with 464. It had amazing HT.

Oh, and I have one more possibility....There is a blend I still have to try that a certain person keeps reminding me about. Oh, Ravens....where art thou?

Edited by Ravens

Sounds to me like she used the right wick because you don't want the melt pool to touch the glass sidewall until the 3rd three-hour burn session.

She used the same blend that Cajun Candle Supply recommends and uses in their own candles: "We use a special blend of two waxes to make our highly regarded container candles. We use 60% of our “IGI-4786 container wax ” and 40% of our "IGI-4633 one pour wax” to make a blended wax that offers a wonderful melt pool and exquisite scent throw." http://www.cajuncandles.com/container-candle-making-guide.html

I looked at their site again today, I forgot all about them doing this.

One thing I did notice is that with the jars my sister did, I have let them burn for 4 hours not the normal 3 - after the initial first 3 hour burn. I did this only because they burned well but did not touch the glass yet. Had 1/8" to go.

They are 2.75". When I burn mine for 4 hours, the straight 4627 wax, I end up with a bunch of soot.

With hers - none!

She did tell me today that she also added something else to the blend, so I'm a bit curious.

I also noticed that the one with 4627 seems to achieve mp faster than the one with 4630.

Also, the 4630 seems to be a darker / richer color - she swears same amount of liquid dye - same color.

Maybe I'll play with these blends this weekend and see what I can come up with. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2

I looked at their site again today, I forgot all about them doing this.

One thing I did notice is that with the jars my sister did, I have let them burn for 4 hours not the normal 3 - after the initial first 3 hour burn. I did this only because they burned well but did not touch the glass yet. Had 1/8" to go.

They are 2.75". When I burn mine for 4 hours, the straight 4627 wax, I end up with a bunch of soot.

With hers - none!

She did tell me today that she also added something else to the blend, so I'm a bit curious.

I also noticed that the one with 4627 seems to achieve mp faster than the one with 4630.

Also, the 4630 seems to be a darker / richer color - she swears same amount of liquid dye - same color.

Maybe I'll play with these blends this weekend and see what I can come up with. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2

I haven't been getting soot with my straight 4627 candles wicked with HTP's since I cut down on the amount of FO. I'm using the regular mouth pint masons, so if there was soot it would show up on the shoulders of the jar, and there's no visible soot.

Edited by HorsescentS