Newbie.... Dip n carve candle info needed.

Hello all,

First, I love this site... so much information. About me, I'm new to candle making and see I have a lot to learn. I'm going to focus on carving candles for now, then going to try other candle designs (tarts, jarred, pillars, etc). For now, I would like some suggestion from experienced candle makers. Here are some questions...

1) what wax would you use and what supplier do you get it from?

2) the dip vats... what set up do you use?

3) Is there someone out there that wouldn't mind training me... I live in Alabama but willing to travel? message me contact info and price please. Looking for dates around May.

I'm sure I'll have more question later and some have been already been answers through other posts in this forum.... thanks. I'm starting with a start up budget of 2500... I've focused my days into research and youtube videos. Now I'm focused enough to start this craft and after a few months, become an experienced carver.

Thank you all for you time and help...

Hands on training is good, but I only had a 30 minute class (where only 10 minutes of it was "hands on") and then got those videos and was able to do this - just by watching the videos. They are very detailed and honestly just as good as any hands on training you can get.

post-212-139458507645_thumb.jpg

post-212-139458507649_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hands on training is good, but I only had a 30 minute class (where only 10 minutes of it was "hands on") and then got those videos and was able to do this - just by watching the videos. They are very detailed and honestly just as good as any hands on training you can get.

Beautiful!

• 10 months later...
These are amazingly beautiful pieces of art. I am just starting to get into carving. Is there a certain kind of wax/mixture that i should use? I use palm and soy for jars but I'm not sure on what kind of parafin to get.

Any idea's would be great.

Thank you

Straight paraffin with some micro-crystalline to help the wax layer adhere to each other.

For the ones in the pic above I used IGI1343A with micro-crystalline added (I believe only about .5 oz per lb if that, but would have to check my notes for sure) with pigments for color.

Straight paraffin with some micro-crystalline to help the wax layer adhere to each other.

For the ones in the pic above I used IGI1343A with micro-crystalline added (I believe only about .5 oz per lb if that, but would have to check my notes for sure) with pigments for color.

Thank you for getting back to me I'm going to get some and try it. I'm looking into getting a dipping tank but omg the are so much $ do you have any idea's on where to look or different things to use?

Thank you for getting back to me I'm going to get some and try it. I'm looking into getting a dipping tank but omg the are so much $ do you have any idea's on where to look or different things to use?

You can get creative and use pour pots, tall wide aluminum molds, etc., but I don't have any idea how you would keep the wax at temp for long periods of time in those. I bought a used vat system locally. It was still expensive, but nowhere near what a new system would cost and works just as well...

Maybe you could put a request out on Craig's List and see if there's anything available?

Edited by Jcandleattic