Adding scent to lotion??

Chefmom

So, my daughter has asked me for a vanilla lotion. As it always happens, she had a bottle that she loved and it's empty and going back to the original store.......well, they don't carry that scent anymore.

I made only one lotion with an unscented base and a scent from Nature's Garden. Every scent page lists the percentage to use in lotion, candles etc so I went by what was recommended and it turned out very nice.

My question is, is there a standard % for bath and body safe scents? She chose Vanilla Passion from Peak's and their page lists it as safe for wax, soap and skin products, but doesn't give any other info or percentages.

I want to make a 50 gram tester to make sure she likes it, any guess on how much fragrance to add?

Guest OldGlory

I don't know how many lotions NG offers, or which one you are using - but here's a quote from their website:

"Making natural creams and lotions could not be easier or more affordable! Create up to 6 different products simply by adding warm distilled or deionized water! Our multi-use cream base can also be colored with soap coloring, and fragranced with Natures Garden's Body safe fragrances. When using fragrances in the multi-cream, we suggest using 1-3% fragrance in your finished product."

Most b&b bases that I have used allow up to 3% FO.

Thanks guys. I have only done this twice. Once for myself and once I made a little bottle for a gift basket. To play with, I just used the unscented Aveno hand lotion that I like. Since I was using Nature's Garden scents I went by the amount of the fragrance listed on the fragrance page. I never thought about "how much the lotion would hold". Since it was just for me (and then for a friend) I didn't think about it too much. *hiding*

I make my own balms with infused oil and beeswax, but this is my first time going into lotions. I would love to make my own homemade, but I have too much on my plate at the moment since gardening season has officially begun..........in my basement anyway. I love my Aveno lotion and since it was right there on the shelf I just went for it. :cool2:

I don't know how many lotions NG offers, or which one you are using - but here's a quote from their website:

"Making natural creams and lotions could not be easier or more affordable! Create up to 6 different products simply by adding warm distilled or deionized water! Our multi-use cream base can also be colored with soap coloring, and fragranced with Natures Garden's Body safe fragrances. When using fragrances in the multi-cream, we suggest using 1-3% fragrance in your finished product."

Most b&b bases that I have used allow up to 3% FO.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would be leery adding any water to this base cream. Does it have extra preservative, so when you add water it's still safe? What if someone adds regular tap water because that's all they have? If you need a lotion or a cream base, I would get one that's ready to go; not one where you have to add water yourself. I can see many things going wrong in this instance.

Every base has a recommended % of fragrance you can add, add too much and it will change the consistency of the product. Now every fragrance oil also has a recommended % you can use, it varies depending of the application it could be 1% for lotion and 3% for soap.

Edited by annie123

Guest OldGlory
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would be leery adding any water to this base cream. Does it have extra preservative, so when you add water it's still safe? What if someone adds regular tap water because that's all they have? If you need a lotion or a cream base, I would get one that's ready to go; not one where you have to add water yourself. I can see many things going wrong in this instance.

The instructions on the website are really quite thorough. It's the nature of this particular product, the 'multi-cream'. Lots of other resources carry it.