Molding or containers?

A candle is, by definition, wax or tallow that encircles a wick which, when lit, give off light. So if you want to get into candlemaking you need to choose only between pillars or container candles and then start selecting the wax you want to use.

Tarts/melts are just scented wax that has been poured into some sort of a mold. These are usually discussed in the Home Scenting section.

I started making candles. Now I make candles & melts among other home scenting items.

I make all of the above. Some days I feel like burning pillars or votives, some days scented containers, some I don't want to burn so I just use the electric warmer.

I tell people that each candle has it's place. If you want to have scent without flame, then the scented wax in a warmer is your thing. If you want to burn short term, for dinner, then tapers. If you want to burn long term, pillars. Short term light scent would be tealights and votives. Long term heavy scent? Containers.

I guess that's why I make all of them. However I have the time to test everything. I pour tealights along side of containers and I pour votives along with pillars. I am close to being official, so once I see what sells for me locally then I will narrow down, but for now I do it all. :)

I started with melts and then containers and then votives- pillars or other molds are not for me- I tried a heart shaped one an I still have nightmares about wicking it!

I am having fun playing with a new container and doing some swirls and chunk containers at the moment but I am sure dye is for me either! Lol

I may in the future "try" simple pillars short ones that don't require spools of wicks...maybe- but sure love the pillars with the molted look and color fade

I started with a small jar kit from Peaks. It came with hexagon jars and a few floral scents. I can honestly say I never thought 9 years later I would be where I am with this. We now do jars votives and melts and a few other non candle related crafts. Given the fact that I went on a 2 year hiatus (gave birth to my two little guys) we are back at it. I was going to throw in the towel but I enjoy it too much lol. I missed everything about it. And its like anything else when you do something that long and it becomes second nature to you its tough to just stop and say your not doing it any longer, but over the years we have learned through mistakes and changed our look so many times. Sorry just has a reflective sentimental moment there ...doesnt happen often.

I think I will order these from Peaks:

6" 44-24-18 Zinc Core Pre-tabbed Wicks, 100 pcs. ($6.99)

Black Canyon Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

Birthday Cake Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

Pillar Blend-IGI 4625-SLAB

Pina Colada Fragrance Oil 1 oz.

In total it is $32.91 for the items and $12.69 for shipping. Do these items look good?

While I was waiting for your reply I played with Peaks shopping cart and for only about 10 cents more you can add 2 more FO samples.

In the promo box type Romance2013

If you add a 2 lb sample of any wax your shipping only goes up by about $.25. I would add a sample of whatever wax you're interested in next.

Just trying to help you get the most for your shipping $$! Not trying to spend your hard earned money or anything :)

You certainly don't need those large zinc wicks then if you're only making votives. (A 60Z is for 4" containers) For votives I use the 4794 votive wax with a LX 10 or 12 wick. If you're not going to do pillars I would get the votive wax instead because it can be used for containers also and melts. Do you already have votive molds?

Check the classifieds here first if you don't. You'll want several to start with. HTH!

You certainly don't need those large zinc wicks then if you're only making votives. (A 60Z is for 4" containers) For votives I use the 4794 votive wax with a LX 10 or 12 wick. If you're not going to do pillars I would get the votive wax instead because it can be used for containers also and melts. Do you already have votive molds?

Check the classifieds here first if you don't. You'll want several to start with. HTH!

Sound advice, IMO.

I think that votive making is a great place for a new chandler to start. I make them now only for our own use, because they are a pain to make in production quanities and they are not profitable for the time spent making them. Make SURE you burn them in proper container(s) though. Votives are container candles which are not poured directly into the container (usually).

There are a number of suppliers who offer tutorials on making votives. I believe Peak may, but I know Candlescience does. There are probably many more tutorials you will find in a web search.

I wish I could do the PM thing. I could send you some metal votive molds and wick pins. I would avoid the polycarbonate molds myself. I found they did not perform well for us. Many candle suppliers are often selling metal votive molds in their sales. Expect to pay about $1.00 per wick pin. I've seen the metal molds on sale for about half the price many times. You will need both to make a good votive IMO.

In closing; Avoid using too much FO and or Vybar when starting. It's the biggest mistake many new fragrant candle makers (Including me, years ago.) make when starting out. More is not always better.

JMO/HTH

Happy candle making!

Dave

Went a little.. crazy?

Here is the final order! BOUGHT AND PAID FOR!

Votive Blend-IGI 4794-SLAB$17.851W1023A 2.5" LX-10 Pre-tabbed Wicks, 100 pcs. ($5.90)$5.901D1015A Yellow Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz.$5.601D1013A Red/Pink Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz. $5.601D1005A Blue/Sky Concentrated Liquid Dye 1 oz. $5.601F1133 Fragrance Sampler Pack: Choice of 10$18.691PW1017 Vintage Container Wax Blend-IGI 6006-SLAB$17.851W1076A 1.25" 28-24 Zinc Core Tea Light Wicks, 100 pcs.$5.991C1002A Aluminum Tea Light Cups 100 Pieces $5.60 SubTotal:$88.68 Tax: $0.00 Shipping:$19.01 -$0.00 -$0.00 Grand Total: $107.69

Fragrance Sampler Pack: Choice of 10

#1 Pina Colada Fragrance Oil

#2 Birthday Cake Fragrance Oil

#3 Black Canyon Fragrance Oil

#4 Asian Sandalwood Fragrance Oil

#5 Cinnamon Fragrance Oil

#6 Fresh Brewed Coffee Fragrance Oil

#7 Mountain Pine Fragrance Oil

#8 Cranberry Citrus Fragrance Oil

#9 Wild Berry Musk Fragrance

#10 Patchouli Patchouli! Fragrance Oil

Edited by FallenCandle

i do beeswax dipped pillars ,

sometimes dipped and handrolled...

beeswax warosoku candles,

and i have one "container" which is a brass butter lamp, built from scrap mixes wax ...

i want to get into beeswax mixes for better tealights... any info or tips would be appreciated...ill make a new introduction topic...

be well...