When your wax isn't the same, what do you do?

I've posted over in the Veggie Forum for help, but I'm getting the sound of crickets, so if anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. If you got a new case of wax and it is harder to burn than previous batches, what do you do? In my case it is 415 soy. Test and test until you find a new combination or count it as a loss and just quickly buy more wax from another vendor? I'm getting ready to pour yet another tester with a wick 3 sizes bigger than my normal one.:shocked2: I use and love CDs, but they all keep drowning out on me. I've also got a tester burning with another brand of wick that I don't particularly like (Eco), but I am desperate at this point for anything to burn completely down. This is the first time I have ever had this happen in the 5+ years I have been at this and I have people waiting to order while I get this figured out. One is a potential new wholesale account. I just need to get some candles done for her to try. I am beyond frustrated.:(

Yes, you retest. It happens. Each new batch of wax should be retested at least with one tried and true combination so you'll know if it burns the way it should.

I alway retested with a scent I'd made for years and knew backward and forward. One that was slightly hard to wick so I would know if it was slightly off. If it burned the way it should, I moved forward. Even then, though, it's a good idea to spot test good sellers, just for your own peace of mind.

Buying more wax from another vendor won't solve the problem. Their inventory probably came from a different batch, too.

For a large wholesale account, you bet you should retest. You don't want to lose future business. Unfortunately, it's part of making candles.

Yes, you retest. It happens. Each new batch of wax should be retested at least with one tried and true combination so you'll know if it burns the way it should.

I alway retested with a scent I'd made for years and knew backward and forward. One that was slightly hard to wick so I would know if it was slightly off. If it burned the way it should, I moved forward. Even then, though, it's a good idea to spot test good sellers, just for your own peace of mind.

Buying more wax from another vendor won't solve the problem. Their inventory probably came from a different batch, too.

For a large wholesale account, you bet you should retest. You don't want to lose future business. Unfortunately, it's part of making candles.

Thank you so much for replying! That is a good idea to pick one tricky scent to test each box. I thought about getting the same batch from another vendor too. That would be a bummer for sure. I'll keep at this one for a while longer. I do have some stock candles, but I wanted to give her a different scent than what I have left and something that represented my current product. I feel like if I change my brand of wicking though, then it is a slightly different candle. Is that being too picky?

Guest OldGlory

From what I understand, when you are using a product with naturally occurring ingredients (as opposed to manufactured ingredients) you will have inconsistencies in performance. They don't test every soy bean to make sure it performs the same before making wax, right? So, you test every batch and make adjustments. Tis the nature of the beast.

I feel like if I change my brand of wicking though, then it is a slightly different candle. Is that being too picky?

Oh, my, yes, you're being too picky. Nobody who buys your product knows, cares, or needs to know which brand/size/type of wick you use.

That's my opinion. Really, I can't imagine being that much of a purist. I can kinda, sorta see not wanting to use zinc wicks because you don't want to have to constantly explain that no, that's not a lead wick, which believe it or not some folks ask about. But I've never heard of focusing your brand around a wick.

From what I understand, when you are using a product with naturally occurring ingredients (as opposed to manufactured ingredients) you will have inconsistencies in performance. They don't test every soy bean to make sure it performs the same before making wax, right? So, you test every batch and make adjustments. Tis the nature of the beast.

It's the same with paraffin. Different batches will be different. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Even with an established line, the testing and retesting never ends. With picky scents, it can really throw off your quality.

To add insult to injury, scents burn different when seasons change. I've had difficult scents burn beautifully in the summer and refuse to burn in the winter unless they had a slightly larger wick.

Well, it is comforting to know that I have that kind of flexibility and not need to tell the world everytime I tweak something. LOL, I'm still such a newb in a lot of ways.

I do need to vent for just a minute though. If I am supposed to produce a consistent product, then it would be nice if the wax was consistent, natural or not. I'm sure there are examples out there and I am drawing a blank, but what in this world that can be purchased for consumption is allowed to have this much variance? Food, make-up, medicine, etc., pretty much all consistent and if changed too much, the company usually tells you, right? A wax that suddenly burns drastically different is not acceptable IMO. I have to wick up so high to keep it burning that it becomes a torch in the end. I get the testing and retesting, but in my 5 years, that has only meant one wick size up or down at the most. Not 3 sizes and not consistently drowning out. I'm now adding Crisco to it and praying for a miracle. :(

Sorry, I am beyond frustrated after 2 weeks of testing without great results. Maybe this box is just meant to be for melts. Adult temper tantrum and rant over. :)

Guest OldGlory
Well, it is comforting to know that I have that kind of flexibility and not need to tell the world everytime I tweak something. LOL, I'm still such a newb in a lot of ways.

I do need to vent for just a minute though. If I am supposed to produce a consistent product, then it would be nice if the wax was consistent, natural or not. I'm sure there are examples out there and I am drawing a blank, but what in this world that can be purchased for consumption is allowed to have this much variance? Food, make-up, medicine, etc., pretty much all consistent and if changed too much, the company usually tells you, right? A wax that suddenly burns drastically different is not acceptable IMO. I have to wick up so high to keep it burning that it becomes a torch in the end. I get the testing and retesting, but in my 5 years, that has only meant one wick size up or down at the most. Not 3 sizes and not consistently drowning out. I'm now adding Crisco to it and praying for a miracle. :(

Sorry, I am beyond frustrated after 2 weeks of testing without great results. Maybe this box is just meant to be for melts. Adult temper tantrum and rant over. :)

I have to refer back to veggie wax because that is the wax with which I am most familair -

I find fruits and vegetables to vary WIDELY, in flavor, in texture, in color. I love canteloupe, really love it, but 2 are never the same. So I don't think that inconsistencies in the rather small world of candlemaking are big news. Frustrating, sure. Two weeks of testing is very little time spent! I know people who have tested for YEARS and still feel they don't have it right. There are probably several here on these boards - and they're still trying!

This is the first time I have ever had this happen in the 5+ years I have been at this and I have people waiting to order while I get this figured out.
I worked with 415 quite a few years ago and am playing around with it now. I've had batches that are slightly different in soy and paraffin. I've used a couple of the same waxes over and over for 2 years with fairly consistent test results from batch to batch. However, one batch came in completely different. I tried everything to get it to work as it had. Turns out, it wasn't just me. I had another person try it with the same results. The supplier changed the forumla in a parasoy.

What I'm saying is usually if we are at this long enough, we know our waxes. 415 isn't a wax that should change that drastically IMO. I can see a bit of difference from batch to batch (thus the need to test each batch) but a 3 wick size difference and back to testing where it's like a new wax doesn't quite sound right (to me).

You have five years experience under your belt so you're not a newbie at this. If I were you, I'd call the supplier and ask if anyone else has had a problem with recent purchases of 415. I may even ask them to exchange it for me.

ETA: Wondering if its possible you received a mislabeled wax and are actually working with a different soy than your 415.

Edited by jeanie353

It can happen with any wax, soy or paraffin. I have used 6006 for 9 years and about 3 yrs ago, I got a box that just wouldn't burn. By testing a candle from each new wax batch #, we caught it in house. It could have ruined us. Once a batch # is ok, I don't test every box. We always buy 4-5 cases at a time. Good-luck!

To save on cost and shipping, I used to buy in (minimum) five case lots or more.

I primarily use IGI-4630. I record the batch lot number and confirm that all cases are from the same batch. I review my records to confirm that it's not the same batch as a previous shipment (It seldom is.) and then test a pound in three different scented 8 ounce jelly jars.

I"m careful not to let my stock level get so low that I have to rush production of new wax shipments.

I have had "bad batches" several times from the same supplier. The most common problem has been an inadequate amount of petrolatum in the batch. Unless the supplier is reblending wax from wax manufacturers, they have no control over variations in what they are selling.

I know of a few suppliers who at least claim to "adjust" wax to their own propietary specifications. I now avoid buying wax from them, but I may be re-thinking this.

Due to financial restraints and a really upsetting period where I had to struggle through ten cases of "crappy" wax that my (ex) supplier claimed was out of their control, I now only buy two or three cases of wax at a time. it still meets the 200 pound UPS shipping break when I add jars or FO to the order.

Yes I have to test more, but I don't have to struggle through doing repours or heat topping 600 pounds of wax in poured jars. I've also been lucky enough to get a repeat order of the same previous batch number, but that's been a rare treat.

For the hobbiest chandler who may only be buying a slab or two at a time, I would recommend doing the same thing, only on a smaller scale. I would make a few candles maybe using votives holders as containers, while resisting the urge to rush the curing phase.

Recording case lot batch numbers (IMO) is important.

I believe that once you are working with the same wax on a regular and prolonged basis, most experienced chandlers will know when something is not quite right due to their ability to sense by sight and feel the wax.

I'd like to add that I always allow a wax shipment to stabilize for several days to my consistant work/storage area temperature before I open a case for examination and testing; Another good reason, not to let the wax stock level get too depleted.

JMO/HTH

Dave

I can attest to that dang paraffin. Boy I have too many cases of it left and it isn't playing like it used to do. Seems to be burning fine so far, but I hope the next load we get is far friendlier.

May I ask, what wax you are having issues with?

1343 is what I use. Several cases have been highly brittle.

Im really nervous offering advice (I prefer an OPINION) to someone as obviously talented and experienced as you are.

I'm not famililiar with that wax, but if it's dry and brittle, it sounds like what I experienced with 10 cases of 4630. They almost had to commit me to a mental rehab center before it was used up.

It sounds like an inadequate amount of petrolatum was added to the batch. I understand it's one of the pricier components in candle wax.

I "eased" my issues by adding a fair amount of IGI-4627 to my 4630. I was not only concerned about repours and topping off, but I didn't want my customers to experience tunneling if they burned them too long and had deeper than ideal melt pools.

I need to do some research, but I am planning on stocking up on some petrolatum for future similar issues if they crop up in the future.

I've never ran into a supplier who will accept returns on wax that I didn't have to pay the return shipping on, regardless of the problem.

I wish (not actually) I could treat my customers like that and get away with it.

Good luck!

Please ignore responding if you like, but I've noticed your avatar on another candle board in the past. Could that have been you?

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy

Hard to say. 1343 is just straight p with no additives. Now if it were going to be this crumbly, man why do I have to break up the slabs lol! I don't wanna. As it turns out when I use my poor broken ice pick on them I get wax crumbs that look like bread, way more than I have had in the past. I haven't been adding anything to my usual mix, just experimenting more with the additives I use. It doesn't seem to matter and doesn't seem to affect the burns so far, which is a good thing.

I go by Scented and love that lime headed cat. I dabbled on one other board I believe, maybe two or three, but I stick to here mostly, so if the lime head had a Scented with it, could have been me or could have been someone pretending (had that happen a couple of times.) I should TM my nickname. Really I should lol.

So hope the petrolatum works for you. I don't use your wax so I didn't offer any advice :) However, I still want my usual wax back the way it was. It's just that we sat on it too long to say anything, but we're nearing a reorder and will mention to the supplier the problems we've been having, at least the other half better make mention of them as that's who picks up our cases.

And here's my thought too on the pricier component ... if they're going to short change on that in the wax, drop the price! Or perhaps that don't think we notice those things. I'm doubtful my supplier will be able to add much as they're a middle man between me and igi.

Edited by Scented

You're blessed that you're able to pick up your wax. I seem to be stuck in "No-Man's Land" when it comes to candle suppliers.

I can assure you that if I had picked up those 10 cases of wax in person, they would be getting 10 cases less one slab back! That one episode has changed the way I order, stock and test wax, ever since I bought it.

I'm still upset with that supplier, even though I know it was IGI's mistake. I hate rude! I was treated very rudely. I'm sure I wasn't the first customer to call them about the wax, and they seemed to be waiting on my call. I won't repeat what I was told. My mom told me to act like a gentlemen as much as possible.

I remember the avatar from that "other" board, but I don't go there anymore, so I can't comment if it was you or another with the cute "Cat in the Hat"!

Thanks for replying!

Have a great weekend; At least what's left of it!

Dave

Well it gets picked up and then distributed to me up heart attack stairs, so we're just making do with it and then will deal with them again when we need to reorder, which will be soon enough. If the wax were impossible to work with, uh they would have had it back already, heart attack or not.

Well it gets picked up and then distributed to me up heart attack stairs, so we're just making do with it and then will deal with them again when we need to reorder, which will be soon enough. If the wax were impossible to work with, uh they would have had it back already, heart attack or not.

When we bought our home 20 years ago, my wife was more interested in a "split foyer" style house in the same neighboorhood.

I really liked (And still do.) the layout of this house. I told her that not only was this house about $10K cheaper, it only had 4 shallow steps to enter and exit and none inside. I cited that someday we would be getting older.

We were moving from a very large multi-level and wonderful colonial-style rental home.

The four steps we have to negotiate, seem like a mountain, now that I'm in a wheelchair. The split foyer would have meant prison for me.

May the good Lord bless and keep you and may all of your candle wax never be brittle again.

Dave

This happens every time we are in severe drought. The soy quality becomes brittle and I always add petrolatum to soften the wax and smooth out the burn. Most of our wax is manufactured in China and it seems like there are a lot more complaints about wax quality these days. It doesn't take much petrolatum to soften the wax up but you will need to re-test and see what works. I tried adding coconut oil but that only made the wax harder and brittle. Hope that helps.

Steve

Very good points everyone and thank you for the company!

I actually just used this setback as an excuse to test a new wax. I've shelved this funky 415 for now since the first batch of added Crisco candles didn't work either. I have a local supplier who carries 464 and even though I love my 415, not paying shipping for wax is awesome. I've been going back and forth on switching for a while and now seemed as good a time as any. So far so good with the 464, just going through my current FOs to see if they throw and fine-tuning the wicking. :)