Double wicking question

When double wicking a candle, should you reach the fmp twice as fast since you are using two wicks? I am using a 8 oz apothecary jar (3 7/8" diameter) and am playing around with double wicking. I tried searching for an answer but couldn't find one. I know that you should usually reach a fmp on about the 3rd burn but when I tried 2 of the ECO 2's I reached a fmp on the first burn at about 2 hours. Coming from predominately single-wicking, that seems a little fast to me, but I'm not entirely sure what the norm is.

Does anyone know when a fmp should be realized in one of these containers when double wicked?

I don't know if there is an "official" answer, but I too am doing double wicking tests in a 3 3/4-inch diameter. I have been using LX wicks and am having a more oval melt pool with two little bumps on the sides that don't seem to fully melt until the candle is about at the 1/2 to 2/3 point. I'm not hung up on it because I have seen the same issue (oval with little bumps clinging) with three different commercial double wicked candles.

If I had a full melt point that quickly I would try two Eco 1's or even a different, cooler burning wick to compare.

No double wicking does not mean a fmp or burn rate is any faster. I've double wicked any jar 3" or wider and never try to reach a FMP till at least the 3rd burn and sometimes the 4th burn. It always seemed anything faster than that was way too hot the bottom half of the jar. :cool2:

Ok yeah I figured it might get to hot later on if it was happening this fast.

When you use such small wicks to double wick a 4" candle jar does it look funny that the flames are so small?? Or is that something that just goes along with the double wick? I am just used to seeing the larger single-wicked flame so it looked odd to me when I was burning my testers.

This is how the 2 CD5's look halfway through the 3rd 4 hour burn. At the end of the 2nd burn the mp had just barely reached the sides of the glass. So it is just now starting to have some depth instead of just moving out. Are the flames an ok size? Too small?

post-15117-139458507571_thumb.jpg

post-15117-139458507567_thumb.jpg

That looks great to me, but keep checking jar for too much heat, MP might be too deep & too big in the 3rd burn. the flames look good. I would also try 2 CD4s in case the 5s make the jar too hot on future burns. Do the 5s seem to be eating up alot of the wax? How far did you fill the jar?

Hopefully the experts will chime in & help!

This looks like the jar that I have been wrestling with for a year now. Using parasoy, I've never been able to get a single wick to produce a FMP and double wicks can be too hot. Your photos look pretty good based on what I have seen. I am using ECO-1 or ECO-2 wicks and even though the ECO-2 wicks are technically bigger than the ECO-1s, I don't see a big difference in the MP size. I think the higher ROC (rate of consumption) may make the 2s a little cooler. Just a hypothesis based on observations. What I am doing is making the wax for this jar have a higher melt point. I am doing this by adding in some 4625. I am hoping that the combination of a higher MP wax and the right wick that I'll get a MP size that is acceptable.

Jars of a similar diameter with no neck are easier to wick for but I do love those apothecary jars.

In the picture is the deepest part of the mp. The back portion of the candle is just starting to reach the outside so it hasn't started going down back there. I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't get too hot in the next few burns because those are the smallest CDs I have haha.

I do also have some HTPs going. The 2 HTP 62s (in the picture below) seem like they would be similar to going down to 2 CD4s. There is a fmp on one side and a bit more hangup on the other side. This one has been burning for the same length as the previous one, so it is on hour 3 of the 3rd 4 hour burn. I filled the jars just below where they start to curve. That ends up being 9 oz in weight. My tester friends were commenting that they thought it looked like I had underfilled them when I would only do the 8 oz.

[ATTACH]25626[/ATTACH]

post-15117-139458507573_thumb.jpg

Edited by bealight20

Rjdaines - I also tried the ECO2s and ECO4s. They, oddly enough, also burned very similarly.

And I unfortunately started out with these apothecaries because I liked the look of them, so now I have a bunch of them around. Little did I know that they would be so tricky to wick haha.

Do you know about facing the wicks in different directions? It helps the wicks clear each side. I'll take a chance & assume you don't! If you do excuse!

The wicks have <<<< these marks on each side. One side goes up, other side goes down. Place the wicks in wax so the <<<<< marks face opposite directions.

<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>> like this!

No way! I am very thankful for any advice! I have been at this constantly for the last 5 months, and when I say constant, I mean I am home all day doing this because I am an online college student. I have exhausted lots of combinations of waxes and wicks but haven't been able to find a candle that makes me say "wow." At this point I just would really like to arrive at something that does that. I'm hoping one of the two that are pictured end up working out because I am just about out of options.

From the test pictures I posted before, the candles have just about finished being burned. The HTP wicked candles had a stronger scent throw (I'm not completely sure though because I have been smelling the same scent for months!) The flames did the job but looked really small pretty much throughout. For the CD wicks, the scent throw was a bit weaker (I think) but the flames looked a little better without being too hot.

Has anyone noticed this difference in hot throw or burn quality between the HTP and CD wicks?