Presto pot on sale at KMart $19.99

I have only bought from Candles and Supplies and I highly recommend them. We usually get everything there besides FO because its about an hour drive for us so we avoid shipping costs. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to drive there tday to pick some things up!! Stay warm everyone!

Well, either I missed the sale at K-Mart, or they didn't offer it here in New Mexico. Earlier this week I made a mental note to stop by and pick one up, but when I got there yesterday, the price was $35. This morning I went to Walmart and they were OOS. Next off to Target only to find they don't carry them. So...had hubby run me by a different Walmart tonight before we went to dinner and I finally got my new Presto Pot...$28.94 or something like that. At this point, I'm so glad to have a new Presto Pot that I don't even care that I paid full price. Can't wait to break it in tomorrow morning! :-)

All of mine are the same size, but over 4 years old. I keep one for use in the kitchen too. Since I started using Prestos I have only had one go bad. It was the element. Most, but not all of them I bought either on eBay or at thrift stores. I got the best deal at Goodwill. $5.00 and still in the box, used maybe once.

The only time I will ever do the double boiler method again is when I hand-dip tapers using a dipping vat. I'll keep a Presto nearby though for replenidhing the wax in the vat.

I have 2, Karen. One with a spout (but never use the spout), and one without. Both are worn out, though. (That's why you see some little specks of black in some of my tarts.) After 6 years, the finish starts to erode from all of that stirring. When I took my new one out of the box last night, I was happy to be able to throw out one of my pots. I may see if the interior on the spouted one looks bad, and if so, I will probably just toss it, too. I really only need one anyway.

Was just curious since you are a hobbyist like me. I wondered if I should have more! haha! Since I blend different waxes it would make it easier just to fill one up with each of the waxes I use and just weigh at liquid where today I weigh out to put in the pot (to get right % of each wax) and then weigh out liquid to mix FO and pour.

To avoid the flecks issue, I got a stainless Presto. Downside is that my temps fluctuate crazily unlike what I read here with those who have the teflon pots.

Again, since I just do this for fun and for me, I will stick with what I have for now. Thanks!

Gosh!

I just can't seem to "shut up"!

I recognized pretty early after I bought my first Presto that the non-stick finish wouldn't last long if we were not carefull with it. I bought a bunch of the white nylon-type spoons at thrift stores until a Dollar Tree opened up near us.

The spoons will wear a bit flat after a year or two, but the pots remain unscathed. I'd rather send the spoons to the dump than the pots. I think there is three to six in a bag for a buck at DT. It's been quite some time since we bought any. I mentioned earlier that I used a stailess steel retaurant ladle, too.

My wife, who usually melts the wax now, because it's too dangerous for me to do it from a wheelchair, told me she bought a couple of black nylon-type ladles also from DT. I never noticed, because I am mixing FO and dying while she is pouring and stirring and filling the jars that I cleaned and wicked and will eventually finish up.

JMO/HTH

Dave

I used my new one I just got a Kmart with this sale and noticed compared to older ones from at least 4 years ago the new ones are a little bit smaller. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this as well?

I have the old ones and they were 8 quart. I believe the new ones are only 6 quarts. They are smaller ~ you are NOT crazy, Hay Creek!

Isn't it amazing how diverse we are and how much we can learn from a site like this,

I had no idea there was a SS Presto and they came in two sizes.

I think I'll stick with my nylon spoons though. They blend well and are a snap to clean.

( I think I fibbed a bit!) I'm a pack rat! I continue to use the spoons even though some are a bit flat on the bottom. I think they actually stir better once they are "broken in". We keep a small crockfull of these guys next to the pots. My DW also uses them to stir the pour pots.