Silicone mold help! Frosting with 4625??

I'm not used to silicone molds, but I recently got a pie crust and an insert mold from Van Yulay. Anyway, I have tried two different types of paraffin, tried different pouring temps, cooling temps, curing times, etc and still have this horrible white "frosting", for lack of a better word, on the surface. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to heat up the silicone mold before pouring like you do sometimes with metal molds? Soooo frustrated... :undecided

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, wish I could help, but I buy most of my molds from Van Yulay, and have never had a problem and have never warmed my molds. She is a wonderful person. Maybe if you contacted her she may be able to help with your problem.

I don't think it's the mold because I'm having the same problem with the berry filling insert too. It's just me, lol

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, wish I could help, but I buy most of my molds from Van Yulay, and have never had a problem and have never warmed my molds. She is a wonderful person. Maybe if you contacted her she may be able to help with your problem.

No, that's a great idea. I'm about to pour some extra into a votive cup and see how it comes out. It's definitely not FO related, as these are my very first testers and haven't used any yet.

have you tried pouring the same wax in a non-silcone mold? AL pillar molds or steel votive cups.... (glass pt jars) Im not convinced its not a wax/color/FO issue and has nothing to do with the mold.

Yep, I tried the whole very hot water around the mold thing and even tried microwaving the mold for a minute (I researched first and found that they are micro safe) and then wrapped it in tin foil to retain the heat for a very long time. But still the same results... crazy

Have you tried pouring the wax while the mold is sitting in very warm (almost boiling) water?

I just checked a small alum. votive mold that I poured some extra wax in, and it's shiny and smooth, not frosted and bubbly like the pies :-/

have you tried pouring the same wax in a non-silcone mold? AL pillar molds or steel votive cups.... (glass pt jars) Im not convinced its not a wax/color/FO issue and has nothing to do with the mold.

The only other pillar wax that I had on hand was the cheapo hobby lobby wax and it turned out the same. I've poured one with a little vybar, as Bernadette suggested, so maybe that will help!

have you used this mold with other wax? has other wax performed the same way with the trouble mold?

It is probably the type of silicone. I use the Wilton silicone cupcake liners for many things with my wax. I make floating candles with them, I portion color blocks with them, if I have a little bit of wax that I need to just dump out of my pour pot etc.

I also use a little silicone mini cupcake tray for making wax tartlets and for making color blocks. It has a shiny interior and every kind of wax comes out of that mold beautiful and shiny. However, every kind of paraffin (4625, 140MP from Michaels, specialty blend votive wax, taper blends etc) comes out of the cupcake liners looking like the photo from above.

You could try spraying the mold and pouring really hot, but it may just be that kind of silicone.

I have experienced this same type of problem with certain votive silicone molds from van yulay. I was very frustrated with myself until I decided to look and feel into the inside the molds and found that the inside of them had tiny "air bubbles" or little dots all over. Look closely at and feel your mold to see if it is smooth...maybe it is as simple as that??? :)

I think you are right! It's definitely not smooth inside; it's very realistic with lots of little bumps and tiny tiny bubbles. So I think maybe the teeny little raised bumps all over don't show enough of the color and make it look like a whitish/clear wax instead of the tan. I think that's it. So I guess there is no way to fix it, huh? I had tried using the heat gun and that kinda made it look worse. Oh well, guess I can't be a perfectionist on this one :)

I have experienced this same type of problem with certain votive

silicone molds from van yulay. I was very frustrated with myself until I decided to look and feel into the inside the molds and found that the inside of them had tiny "air bubbles" or little dots all over. Look closely at and feel your mold to see if it is smooth...maybe it is as simple as that??? :)

Well, the mold that you have now is useless unless you don't mind the look you are getting currently. I called them when I realized what the problem was and she said that she had gotten a bad batch of silicone so she sent me two more as replacements but these came with the same darn bubbles. The interior of the molds kind of remind me how one of those pore strips look after peeling it off my teenagers nose...gross but very acurate. Now, I don't like to complain to companies but these were rather expensive and I really liked them so I called again and once again she sent two more out and after a month of being lost in the mail I finally received them and they were exactly the same...completely useless. I just couldn't get past how the finish product looked...the bubbles had made a ton of little indents in the votives that were impossible to remove.

I must say she was very nice to deal with but I just don't understand after the first two why they didn't check them out before sending them to me....and it wouldn't have taken much checking because you can see them plain as day peppered all over. Needless to say I just gave up...too bad too because I can't find anything similar anywhere else. :(

I think you are right! It's definitely not smooth inside; it's very realistic with lots of little bumps and tiny tiny bubbles. So I think maybe the teeny little raised bumps all over don't show enough of the color and make it look like a whitish/clear wax instead of the tan. I think that's it. So I guess there is no way to fix it, huh? I had tried using the heat gun and that kinda made it look worse. Oh well, guess I can't be a perfectionist on this one :)

Based on previous comments, I know that you've already experimented with more heat. However, your frosting looks so compellingly like a cold pour, that I would still be playing with the heat. I would start by making sure the mold was warmed to about 150F or so, slightly above the melting point of the wax, and I would pour on the hot side, at least 200F. This will help insure that the wax remains liquid long enough for some bubbles to escape. With the pie crust molds, it's a relatively small volume of wax going into a rather hefty amount of silicone. If it isn't all warm enough, your wax will cool too quickly initially, and you'll have frosting, and perhaps even jump lines.

Another option would be to increase the opacity of the wax. More opacity would make any remaining frosting look less noticeable. And, some frosting on a more opaque wax might be just the ticket to a more realistic effect. Stearic acid can be added to 4625 to increase the opacity. I would start with 10 to 20% by weight.

The appearance of frosting can also be addressed by zapping the finished crusts with a heat gun, just long enough to get rid of the powdery look.

Finally, I made chicken pot pies tonight for dinner. My pie crusts looked nowhere near as perfect as yours, if that makes you feel any better.