Do you use a scale that uses regular (vesus specialty) batteries?

My scale shows that my battery is getting low. I know that it will die at some inopportune time! I have a replacement ready. It is the button style, watch/clock/hearing aid battery type. I'd really like to have a scale that uses AA. AAA or the like rather than having to be certain I have these specialty batteries at the ready.

Do you use, or know of, a scale that uses regular household batteries?

Yeah, me too! I was okay doing that because when I started I was not certain I would enjoy it as much as I do so I bought inexpensively and held off on things like a Presto Pot. Now that I have stuck with it I have gotten more free with what I buy because I look at things as investments (although I do not sell).

Mine with the watch battery works fine but I agree. I'd rather have one that uses regular batteries.

Mine uses a 9-volt battery, but I went ahead and bought an AC adapter when I bought the scale, so I wouldn't have to worry about using a battery at all. However, after 10 months of heavy use, I'm still on the original battery that came with the scale. I'll probably break out the adapter and plug it in once that battery dies. I love this scale!!

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-136DK-Alimento-Stainless-Steel-Scale/dp/B0002KT52C/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357413556&sr=1-14&keywords=digital+scale+escali

That is one of the ones that I have in my cart!

Thank you!

I read through the reviews before buying, so I knew that it's not made of all metal, only the top, which is removable is metal. The rest of the body is plastic that is metal colored.

Also, it's very light weight, but it's been a power horse for me. In my life as a Pro Baker I have been around all kinds of scales for many years, and I have several different kinds. This one has a great tare feature, a backlight so you can see the read out easier and if you have a pot filled with wax already weighed out, and then you realize you wanted to use grams for this recipe, you can just push a button and switch over to the grams and it doesn't clear the scale, but gives the grams reading.

There is only one little thing that is semi-irksome. It doesn't like tiny one gram increments. If you have 100 grams, it goes up to 101 grams just fine. However, if you have 0 grams, and you want to weigh just 2 grams it isn't very accurate until you hit about 8-10 grams. So if I want to weigh a miniscule amount then I get out my tiny scientific milligram scale. It isn't something I do often, so it doesn't stop me from loving this scale. But if you have really tiny amounts to weigh I would invest in a milligram scale.

I use a digital mail scale that hooks to the computer via Usb, DH got it in a box of donated computer goodies at the school he used to work at. I really need to get a real scale, I'm just so cheap! I cant stand the thought of putting $50 into something when my freebie is still doing the job.

I have use the Escali P115. The set of 2-AA batteries that came with it has lasted 4 years and counting on the first one I purchased. There are a ton of places that sell them if you do a search for it. The prices range from $25 (add shipping) to this one I found for $31.69 that includes shipping and has a variety of colors: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/escali-scales/p115/p348360.aspx.

At Candle Science they run $26.99 and added shipping would not run much more if you added it to an order. You may want to check with your supplier and see if they carry them.

In any case (with the scale and shipping) I personally wouldn't pay more than the $31.69. The 136DK has the metal tray so it will not get "melted" like the plastic on the 115 but, speaking personally again, I don't think that feature is worth the extra $25.

ETA - The melting is not from the heat of the container. I measure my FO's and sometimes a drop will get on the plastic and affect it; has absolutely no affect on the function or accuracy.

Edited by Judy, USMC
to clarify the melting comment

I use the same one as Judy. I've used it for years and, quite honestly, I don't remember ever changing the batteries. I probably did at one point but I don't remember doing so. I think I've had it at least 6 years. It has been used and very abused and still is a great scale. I tried another kind last year but went back to the Escali. I got mine from CandleScience. I keep a small silicone pad on mine to protect it from the heat of the wax.

I'd have a couple of concerns. If it doubles as a clock the battery won't last long so what type of replacement battery does it take? Is there an adapter available and how much does that cost?

Also, it doesn't tell you what the + or - tollerance is ... which can throw your measurements off especially if you are making small (votive size) testers.

And if the whole unit is 8 1/4 x 6 1/4 the plate on top is probably much smaller which means if you are using a standard pour pot you may not be able to see the readout. You don't need an expensive model - but please don't get something that is too small or inaccurate just because it is less expensive.

I got lucky and was able to purchase my scale from a soap maker that was going out of business. She listed her items on craigslist. It's an older model, an Ahkida Nova and plugs into the wall. I've had it for years now and I love it. I don't know what I would do if it broke down.