Plastic After-Smell?

chappyk

Wondering from those out there who have made and sold tarts in the clamshell mold if you have heard or witnessed yourself the clamshell ever giving the wax a plastic smell? I haven't experienced this myself but read somewhere people who won't purchase them because of this.

As a buyer, I stopped buying them because so many I bought had the plastic/skunky smell and it did impact the wax. I have friends who will not buy clams for that reason and because if one uses a lot of FO (me) and has thin clamshells, the plastic can get soft.

MANY here do a BIG business with clamshells. I would surmise it is because they are buying a high quality product that is thicker and does not have the plastic smell.

I have just started pouring into Ellipso cups and I love them. Super thick and no smell!

A new case of clamshells has a plastic smell to me. I guess because they've been closed up and sort of "stew" in that smell.

I open my cases and leave them to air out. I always try to have plenty of older clamshells on hand so I don't pour into a newly manufactured industrial plastic smelling one.

That is understandable!

I still consider myself a newbie. Getting supplies seems to be something I may never grow weary! Well, unless it is just a case of wax that I have always used. That is not as exciting as receiving other goodies!

I've been doing this for almost a decade JAJC and getting supplies is still my favorite!