Newbie Question About Frost

Hi there!

I have a dilemma that maybe you experienced chandlers can help me with. I make two 8 oz mason jar candles at a time, and one will frost and the other is absolutely perfect. I am using 464 with 1/2 tsp coconut oil per 8oz of wax, dye chips, and FO. I add the dye chips and FO at around 175-180 degrees, and am pouring hot at 170 degrees with a pre-heated jar. I buy all my supplies from CandleScience.

I pour one candle then the other, and then put them both in a dark closet above the heater. The next day one will be just perfect - no frost, no wet spots, and the other will have frost on at least one side, usually 2/3 sides.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Edit: I should add that I have poured at 125 degrees and at 100 degrees and get the same results.

Edited by CandleJunkie

Guest OldGlory

Are you using the same FO in both jars? I have found that some FOs will frost and some others will not.

I never heat my jars when pouring 464, so maybe you should try not heating the jars first. Glass cools quickly too, so the difference could be just the time it takes to pour one then pour the other.

Try pouring at about 140-145.

I'm sure some others will chime in, too.

@Faerywren - LOL! Thanks, I think! :P

I will try pouring at 140-145 degrees, and with non-heated glass jars. Yes, they are always the same FO, and the same color. I will pay closer attention to the position of the jars as to which frosts and which one doesn't. I wondered about that too, but it seemed such a miniscule point, I thought, "nah, that can't be it!" But...maybe it is! :rolleyes2

Thanks for the answers so far! Keep them coming!

Guest OldGlory

Many years ago I had a soy wax candle that had a few bubbles on the side after it was solid. I thought I'd zap it with a hair dryer in that spot and get rid of the few tiny bubbles. Bubbles were gone but I had a nice sized frosted spot right there. Boy was I ticked, lol. None of the other candles in that batch had bubbles or frosting.

I agree with a previous post. Pour at 145. It should take care of that problem. We have used 464 for years and the higher pour temperature reduced our problem but on occassion it will show its ugly face. Also remember your making a hand crafted candle. Those imperfections have never prevent us from selling 1 candle. It gives them personality. That single piece of advice I rec'd many moons ago on this very forum and has changed the way I handle my business more than anything I was ever told on here! Happy Candlemaking! :)