Sad but you can't second guess your candles

Here's a strange situation, I make candles in several type of containers, some of which are the same diameter. You'd think that containers of the same diameter would take the same wick and wick size. Well, no. I make an Elemental Jar which is about 2.5 inches and it takes a HTP-62 wick. I use a Libbey Status Jar (8 oz) which is the same diameter but taller. The HTP-62 drowns in the Status jar, to which I said "you've got to be kidding..?" Wicking in the HTP series didn't work as the flame was way to large when it did start working. This meant finding another wick type.

For now the answer seems to be an RRD wick (RRD-34).

Gotta love sample packs.

Lol What wax was that, rj?

This was with my parasoy mix (4630/464), same batch of wax and FO went into all the containers. The performance of the RRD wicks is a pleasant surprise. I stayed away from them because they are not a true self-trimming wick. I'm just amazed how doubling the height of the container forced me to pick a different wick.

This was with my parasoy mix (4630/464), same batch of wax and FO went into all the containers. The performance of the RRD wicks is a pleasant surprise. I stayed away from them because they are not a true self-trimming wick. I'm just amazed how doubling the height of the container forced me to pick a different wick.

Yes, that is odd! I would've thought just changing the wick size would be enough.

Yes, that is odd! I would've thought just changing the wick size would be enough.

I probably could have done that but would have had to have gone to a HTP-83 or higher and, frankly, having that big a wick in a 2.5 inch container would have looked silly. I use the HTP-83/93 in the 3" Status jars. I'm sure there are multiple solutions but was just amazed at this phenomenon if container height which was the only variable and on the bright side, forced me to try the RRDs which seem to work very well.

I probably could have done that but would have had to have gone to a HTP-83 or higher and, frankly, having that big a wick in a 2.5 inch container would have looked silly. I use the HTP-83/93 in the 3" Status jars. I'm sure there are multiple solutions but was just amazed at this phenomenon if container height which was the only variable and on the bright side, forced me to try the RRDs which seem to work very well.

I always wick down for taller jars. I use the HTP-83 in 4627 in the Libbey Elemental jar. The 1/2 pint quilted Ball jelly jars are taller, so even though I can usually get by with HTP-83 some of them need an HTP-73. In my Ball regular mouth pint masons, I use HTP-93, but the chandlers who use the shorter 8 oz version of that jar say they use HTP-104, 105, and 1212.