Who has the BEST oils for making Incense?

Tony

Hey kids! I hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season! I have been candles for a few years and have tried Incense a few times without having any luck. I have tried a few different oils from a few suppliers and when you burn them you really don't smell any scent. Who have you had the best luck with, and what scents do you like? Thanks in advance!!

Hey! Thank you for responding! That is the same ratio I used as well, and nothing :( I think it may be my choice of scents. The last batch I tried was Bergamot Tobacco from Moonworks. I love that scent oob but when I tried it with Incense no luck.

Hey! Thank you for responding! That is the same ratio I used as well, and nothing :( I think it may be my choice of scents. The last batch I tried was Bergamot Tobacco from Moonworks. I love that scent oob but when I tried it with Incense no luck.

BT has a light throw no matter what medium it's put in. It's a nice scent OOB but add it to anything and the scent up and vanishes. Shame really.

Edited by rctfavr3

I sell a LOT of incense. It has been interesting to see what people order, and right now amazingly, people are loving the clean and oceanic type scents such as Downy and Clean Cotton and some other types of ozonic fragrances.

You can do a test stick really easy without wasting much oil, to see what it smells like, but really most fragrances do well in incense.

I love the more earthy fragrances for incense, the more complex the better. Moonworks has many fragrances that do well in incense except the one you tried.

Lol of course the one I try would be the one that doesn't do well! I love earthy scents like sandalwoods, vanillas, patchouli, etc. I have noticed that with candles the clean scents have become very popular. Right now one of my bigger sellers is Citrus Linen H2O.

From Moonworks, her Merlin's Forest and Patchouli Passion are fabulous in incense. I just recently made some with a little over 48 hour soak and a 72 hour dry-down before I tested. Obviously still a bit wet so got the black smoke when lighting, but the fragrance was strong. Are you using wood or charcoal punks?

Oh, and Tony's Dragon's Blood (Southern Garden Scents) is wonderful in incense as well.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Guest OldGlory

Tony, are you double soaking your incense? I found that letting the incense sticks dry once, then soaking again helps.

Also, Peppercorn from BCN is great in incense. It's a spicy woody type of scent, very unique.

One of my best selling incense fragrances I carry is "S------".

SOS has it. I also mix it 50/50 with a common spicy scent for a one-two punch of intense...incense. If you have to try just one scent from Save on Scents...this is the one to try! Though I won't reveal the name of the scent outright because I'd like to keep it one of my best sellers! (wink wink) It's THE best incense oil I've ever used. Very ancient, earthy and true. The best parts of patchouli and frankincense blended together. (probably shouldn't be given this secret away) D@mn good scent.

Edited by rctfavr3

One word? 7 letters, starts with S? I think I found which one you are talking about. If I'm looking at the right one, I do like the description.

Oh. yes. Nice NICE scent. Shh... don't tell anybody. LOL.

...this is a fragrance Scented would adore.

Edited by rctfavr3

Thank you for all of you responses! I have never tried a double soak, I am gonna try that for sure. I use wood. Just from personal experience in burning both, I think I like wood better. I am absolutely in LOVE with woodsy scents. I travel frequently to Southeast Asia and when I pass a prayer altar or a temple the smell that are escaping are just intoxicating! Some of the florals like Ylang Ylang and Sampaquita are awesome as well. Starts with an S huh?

I am going to order some scents from SOS and BCN. I have never ordered from SOS. This might be dangerous LOL! There are so many to choose from. I also make container candles. Has anyone tried their oils in Soy Blend wax? Also for incense which grade do you usually use? Concentrated?

I am going to order some scents from SOS and BCN. I have never ordered from SOS. This might be dangerous LOL! There are so many to choose from. I also make container candles. Has anyone tried their oils in Soy Blend wax? Also for incense which grade do you usually use? Concentrated?

I use Ultra concentration unless I'm blending fragrances in which case I use Extreme Con. SOS con. is usually only good for tarts, testing a fragrance, or burning as a simmer oil. If you do order the basic SOS concentration, it's best to stick with the more common FOs such as fruits and florals.

Here's how I break it down when ordering:

Herb, Fruit, Floral, Spices, Cotton, Vanilla = SOS (except perfume dupes)

Nut, Bread, Savory Foods, Wood, Marine, Earth = Ultra (except perfume dupes)

Perfume Dupes, Meditation, Sweet Foods, Novelty = Extreme

Edited by rctfavr3

I use Ultra concentration unless I'm blending fragrances in which case I use Extreme Con. SOS con. is usually only good for tarts, testing a fragrance, or burning as a simmer oil. If you do order the basic SOS concentration, it's best to stick with the more common FOs such as fruits and florals.

Here's how I break it down when ordering:

Herb, Fruit, Floral, Spices, Cotton, Vanilla = SOS (except perfume dupes)

Nut, Bread, Savory Foods, Wood, Marine, Earth = Ultra (except perfume dupes)

Perfume Dupes, Meditation, Sweet Foods, Novelty = Extreme

That is great advice. Thank you! I placed an order. I ordered everything in Ultra, I got: meditation Krishna, nag champa, Jean Paul G, Success, One Million (love the cologne), Black Vanilla, Copal, Good Fortune Love, Meditation Champa, and Meditation Karma. I can't wait to smell them.

That is great advice. Thank you! I placed an order. I ordered everything in Ultra, I got: meditation Krishna, nag champa, Jean Paul G, Success, One Million (love the cologne), Black Vanilla, Copal, Good Fortune Love, Meditation Champa, and Meditation Karma. I can't wait to smell them.

Copal and Nag Champa are very good. Success I can't comment on... One Million I haven't tried but will probably consider it with my next order. I think you'll be happy with what you get. Black Vanilla is one of the only ones that I find to be sub-par. The rest are good.

Copal and Nag Champa are very good. Success I can't comment on... One Million I haven't tried but will probably consider it with my next order. I think you'll be happy with what you get. Black Vanilla is one of the only ones that I find to be sub-par. The rest are good.

That will not surprise me about the Black Vanilla, it reminds me by the description of Black Vetiver Cafe with smells awesome but is very weak.

(50/50) That is the same ratio I used as well, and nothing :( I think it may be my choice of scents. The last batch I tried was Bergamot Tobacco from Moonworks. I love that scent oob but when I tried it with Incense no luck.

I had the same experience, and I used "Merlin's Forest" mentioned as great in another post above and had got the blanks from Moonworks. The resulting incense had next to no scent at all.

I had the same experience, and I used "Merlin's Forest" mentioned as great in another post above and had got the blanks from Moonworks. The resulting incense had next to no scent at all.

I didn't get a very strong throw in Soy Blend on either scent! I am super excitied to try the new scents I ordered from SOS!

• 1 month later...