Recipe advice

Buttsmom

While I don't HP (I CP) your recipe has a 0% superfat. I played with your recipe on soapcalc.net and encourage you to check it out. Make sure the superfat % is at least 5. I use 6% even with goat milk. I personally would sub out 25% of the lard for olive oil. Others will tell you to do 50%, but I know you will have nice soap with 25% olive and 50% lard and it's more cost effective esp. when first starting out. How do you plan to add the lye to the goat milk? I like to freeze the goat milk solid and then dump in all the lye at once and stir, stir, stir until dissolved. Have an ice water bath ready in case it starts to get to hot on you (it will turn orange). Today I stirred my goat milk/lye solution in a snowbank. That kept it cool too :)

While I don't HP (I CP) your recipe has a 0% superfat. I played with your recipe on soapcalc.net and encourage you to check it out. Make sure the superfat % is at least 5. I use 6% even with goat milk.

I agree that you need to add some superfat I usually use 7% . I would actually like your recipe since I am a strange one that loves 100% lard soap. Lard makes a very milk almost silky feeling soap, but is a low lather. I would lower the coconut to maybe 2 oz and add in 2 oz castor. Will give you a much milder bubbly bar of soap

Here's my fav basic soap recipe using lard:

45% olive oil

25% lard

25% coconut oil

5% castor

Makes a nice white bar, super sudsy and conditioning. I use canned gm. Since canned gm is concentrated I use half my liquid as water to use for my lye mixture, then add the gm in with my oils. I chill my gm in the fridge for at least an hour before I make soap. I prefer adding my gm with my soaping oils or at light trace. If I use fresh goat milk then I do the freezing method.

I freeze my goat milk in ice cube trays. Then set my lye container with the gm ice cubes inside on top of a bowl full of ice to keep the gm as cold as possible while slowly stirring in the lye.

I did make it just like that last night, while not so bad I won't personally use it up in the shower, I did see where it needed changed. When I made it my GM was slushy/frozen from being in the fridge for a few hrs. I also kept the container I was mixing the gm and lye in an ice bath while I mixed it. Going to try changing the oils next batch.