"Shopping Expo" today

scifichik

A local woman organized a "shopping expo" today for local vendors to rent a table and show their wares. Each vendor was allowed one table that was supplied in the cost of the $25 fee and the event was to last from 11 a - 6 p. The location was the "event room" of a local party shop. People typically have baby showers, birthday parties, etc there and the cost is $20/hour and they provide tables and chairs.

People were grumbling when they got there, because there was an "L" shape of four tables lining two walls---full of the woman's items. Apparently, she does the full buffet of Scentsy, Grace Adele, Velata and something else. She justified it because she had four companies that she represented. It made little difference to me because it was an opportunity to sell and get our name out there.

We set up and she sent her daughter over to check out our table and posted prices. After the scout returned and reported that our clamshells were $3, she immediately announced an "unadvertised sale" on her bricks to $4 each. Anybody know what the Scentsy rep's cost is on them?

At any rate, we made our table fee, plus $11----so we were the big winners over some folks who sold absolutely nothing, and it was half mile from home. We did make some network connections for some other area events, and the Thirty-One rep asked us to come do a party/show with her. The show we participated in last weekend as a fundraiser for Project Graduation was better, we made our table fee and $125, so we were pleased as we only had to drive 10 miles to get there.

Actually, my sister thought the organizer was crazy. She bought balloons and stood on the street corner with them, waving at people, trying to attract attention from car and pedestrian traffic.

I attached a picture of our table, although my sister was less than thrilled to be in it :) It was a learning experience, as we're experimenting with doing "events" now. We have another one on the 24th.

post-11788-139458505314_thumb.jpg

The organizer told us at the expo that we could get a nice banner at VistaPrint for some reasonable amount. We told her we liked our little banner because my sister's children made it with much enthusiasm and love a couple of years ago. It's laminated and we take it with us; it's quaint and obviously made by children. They are VERY proud that this is what we use for our booth.

I tend to stay away from vendor events because I think people are sick to death of them. With respect to your set up, you might want to consider a table cloth that covers all four sides of your table to the floor. You can hide a lot that way. And although I understand the sentiment behind your laminated sign, I must admit that I have reservations about using it front and center as your main sign. Perhaps you could shrink it down and use it in a smaller format elsewhere to keep the charm but have a professional sign done in a whimsical manner for front and center. That way, you can have it both ways. Remember that people who are shopping do not know the story behind the sign and are simply judging your stand on what they see in the blink of an eye.

Ha Ha - great story. I love the banner! Gotta love Sh**sy. I work with a rep and she says they get 25% just like most direct sales companies. Actually she's getting out of it has offered to sell me all the warmers she has in stock at her cost. Can you imagine me selling a Sh**sy warmer at show when there's a Scentsy rep there. Oh my. They do have some cute warmers but I'm afraid the promoters wouldn't let me sell them because the Scentsy rep would pitch a fit.

Guest OldGlory

Scifi, your table looks full and organized! I am of the opinion that lots of people would be drawn to your banner because it is home made. And what a sweet way to honor the contribution of your sister's kids!

I tend to stay away from vendor events because I think people are sick to death of them. With respect to your set up, you might want to consider a table cloth that covers all four sides of your table to the floor. You can hide a lot that way. And although I understand the sentiment behind your laminated sign, I must admit that I have reservations about using it front and center as your main sign. Perhaps you could shrink it down and use it in a smaller format elsewhere to keep the charm but have a professional sign done in a whimsical manner for front and center. That way, you can have it both ways. Remember that people who are shopping do not know the story behind the sign and are simply judging your stand on what they see in the blink of an eye.

Thanks for the input. The tables provided to us were supposed to have been skirted, but much of this event didn't meet the expectations we were given, so we were lucky to have a spare table cover. Lesson learned here: bring our own skirt or full-length table-cover always in the future.

As for the banner, we can't part with it, but do have a decent logo on packaging, website, business cards, and whatever else.post-11788-139458505336_thumb.jpg

Scifi, your table looks full and organized! I am of the opinion that lots of people would be drawn to your banner because it is home made. And what a sweet way to honor the contribution of your sister's kids!

Thank you for your input. The banner is usually a conversation starter.

Some of their warmers are super-cute, but the prices for them keep me at bay.

• 1 month later...