eco10 or eco12?

Hello.....and Happy New Years Eve to everyone! :D

I have wicked two 3'' round glass containers using Ecosoya CB135A with eco10 and eco12 wicks. I am having trouble figuring out which one is working best. I don't see a difference. This is my second test with this combo...and can't for the life of me figure out which one is working best. If anyone has tried this combo.....and you don't mind sharing.....what is working best for you?

Thank You :)

Hello.....and Happy New Years Eve to everyone! :D

I have wicked two 3'' round glass containers using Ecosoya CB135A with eco10 and eco12 wicks. I am having trouble figuring out which one is working best. I don't see a difference. This is my second test with this combo...and can't for the life of me figure out which one is working best. If anyone has tried this combo.....and you don't mind sharing.....what is working best for you?

Thank You :)

If they both seem to be working OK, use the smaller one. It should be possible to burn a little longer without getting sooty, and it will lengthen the total burn time of the candle. You could even try to see if you can get away with an ECO 8. A little hangup at the top might be OK if it subsequently catches up.

The difference between the wicks should be more apparent with multiple burns. Get down into the container and don't finalize your decision too soon.

I got good results with the ECO 12 or the Premier 770 with my 3" dia cylinder jars. The 10 left about 1/8" hang up. Still a little residue with either wicks but I undersand that's the nature of Soy. I use the GW449 Blend. My MP never got deeper than 3/8" so I thought that was pretty good.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Thanks for the info. :DI can always count on this board. You guys are great! I was leaning towards the 10 as well. Just wasn't sure. I made these combos both with and without dye. The ones with dye seem to be setting up and burning better for me. I am not using any additional additives such as steric. The dye seems to make the wax a little more solid... not as soft....which helps with seeping. I wonder if this is the same concept as dying your hair. It does make your hair feel thicker. Also, I just noticed a small mushroom on the 12 and none on the 10....so eco10 it is! WooHoo!!! I have managed to make my first burnable candle!

I am not using any additional additives such as steric. The dye seems to make the wax a little more solid... not as soft....which helps with seeping. I wonder if this is the same concept as dying your hair. It does make your hair feel thicker.
Are you using dye blocks? They're made of stearic.

I am using a powder dye I found at BCS. It's called Pro Powders. I will say that a little goes a long way! I added a tiny pinch to 16oz of wax...hoping to get a light grey color. My candles came out black and set up hard. It probably does have steric in it. Also, it helped with bubbles.

I am using a powder dye I found at BCS. It's called Pro Powders. I will say that a little goes a long way! I added a tiny pinch to 16oz of wax...hoping to get a light grey color. My candles came out black and set up hard. It probably does have steric in it. Also, it helped with bubbles.
Interesting that it would affect the set up of the wax. The powder is pure dye. It's like liquid dye without the liquid, or dye block without the block.

My candles are now a little more than 1/2 way down the container. The one with the eco10 now has too small of a flame and the one with the eco12 has a regular flame. I guess you really can't tell until it's all over.

I think I have become addicted to flame watching....ha ha! Is that normal?

Top, I know for sure for sure that the wax sets up harder with this powder.

I made 4 candles, 2 with dye and two without. The ones without.... I can poke a hole with my finger. The ones with dye....is much tougher.

Update......

Both wicks drowned out yesterday! ARRRGGGHHH!!! Could it be my FO?

I've only used one type, it's a WYW scent.

3 months......not one decent candle. Just when I thought I had it.

Are they drowning out by any chance in the candles that are dyed? It really is odd when you say those set up differently. I don't know if you realize what you are using. I would guess only about 3 1/2 grams of that powder stuff would be in an entire dye block. For 1 lb of wax you'd need about 2 tenths of a gram. You can't use it accurately enough to make individual candles and you can't even use it for large batches without a very good scale.

So test with the undyed candles because your wicks may simply be clogging. I just don't see wicks drowning out in CB-135.

And you might want to consider using a respirator with the powder dye because it really floats through the air. I'd think you must be starting to see dots of color on some of your kitchen fixtures.