Is the HTP 83 supposed to look & feel thicker than the HTP 93 or was there a mixup?

When I bought my HTP wicks from Peak, I was surprised when the bag marked HTP-83 contained wicks that were just a bit thicker/fatter looking and feeling than the wicks in the bag marked HTP-93, even though the HTP-83's are supposed to be the smaller wick. The difference is barely perceptible and it can make me crazy trying to figure out if it's my imagination or not. :P Could someone who is extremely familiar with HTP wicks please advise me? I'm wondering if Peak mixed up the label on the bags. TIA

When I bought my HTP wicks from Peak, I was surprised when the bag marked HTP-83 contained wicks that were just a bit thicker/fatter looking and feeling than the wicks in the bag marked HTP-93, even though the HTP-83's are supposed to be the smaller wick. The difference is barely perceptible and it can make me crazy trying to figure out if it's my imagination or not. :P Could someone who is extremely familiar with HTP wicks please advise me? I'm wondering if Peak mixed up the label on the bags. TIA

HS...I've got wicks from multiple companies here and some are thicker than others. Have had a rare occasion of wicks from the same company being thicker than they were. In my case it was the prime on the wick and not a wrong wick. Not saying that is what is happening by you but a thought.

HTH & GL

HS...I've got wicks from multiple companies here and some are thicker than others. Have had a rare occasion of wicks from the same company being thicker than they were. In my case it was the prime on the wick and not a wrong wick. Not saying that is what is happening by you but a thought.

HTH & GL

Interesting! Thanks, Jeanie. I guess the only way for me to know is to wick two candles, one with the 83 and one with the 93, and the one that burns like it's the bigger wick is the real HTP-93, right?

Edited by HorsescentS

Interesting! Thanks, Jeanie. I guess the only way for me to know is wick two candles, and the one that burns like it's the bigger wick is the real HTP-93, right?

Yeah, I'd try that. Its possible you got a mislabeled bag of wicks and that would make testing totally miserable for you.

hs my 83s are definitely smaller the 93s.

OMG! :shocked2: No! No! No! :cry2:

So every time I thought I was wicking with HTP-83 it was really the HTP-93. :pAnd every time I wicked up from a supposed HTP-93 to an HTP-104 which was way too big, and wished I had something in between, I really was going from an 83 to a 104 and could have just used the 93 if I hadn't thought it was an 83. I am so mad at Peak right now! :mad::mad::mad: First they sent me Spruceberry instead of Mulberry, and now this! Those two mix-ups cost me too much wax, wicks, and containers in testing.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ok that just made sense, that is scary! LOL! I'm sorry for you, HS.

Do you know anything about the HTPXL100? I'm changing the subject to talk you down from your mad!

OMG! :shocked2: No! No! No! :cry2:

So every time I thought I was wicking with HTP-83 it was really the HTP-93. :pAnd every time I wicked up from a supposed HTP-93 to an HTP-104 which was way too big, and wished I had something in between, I really was going from an 83 to a 104 and could have just used the 93 if I hadn't thought it was an 83. I am so mad at Peak right now! :mad::mad::mad:

Ok that just made sense, that is scary! LOL! I'm sorry for you, HS.

Do you know anything about the HTPXL100? I'm changing the subject to talk you down from your mad!

Breathe...breathe...breathe...inhale...exhale...inhale...exhale... okay...pant...pant.. No, what's the HTPXL100?

I swear you mentioned it awhile ago. I received it today from Precision Wicking in a sample bag. It's fat bigger then 104 & 105.

Call & ask tomorrow about wrong wicks? If that's skewed up your testing Uh Oh!

Oh, yes, I remember that now that I'm not so distracted. Those were discussed on another thread. I don't have that new size, my biggest one is 126, which is also bigger than 104 and 105, although many mistakenly believe it fits between the 1212 and the 104. lol

Yep, I'll definitely call Peak tomorrow. They might think I'm a dummy for not realizing which was which, even though they were mislabeled. But with my eyesight it can be hard to tell even with reading glasses on. Also, I thought, well, maybe the performance of the wick is based on some inner weave of the fibers and doesn't depend entirely on the thickness.

I hope they help you out! I understand completely why you didn't notice.

I called Peak customer service and explained what happened, and how frustrating it was for me having to deal with those wicks all this time. I didn't ask them to compensate me because I don't think I should have to ask, even though it did cause me to waste a lot of money on wax and containers while testing the wrong wicks. They apologized and said they'd try to make sure it doesn't happen any more, but they didn't offer me anything to make up for it.

That was the same order that they sent me a pound of mislabeled Spruceberry FO instead of Mulberry. It took me a couple of months to realize what happened, and I did demand they replace that bottle of FO and they did, but I hate both of those FOs anyway. I like everything else I've ordered from Peak, but this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth so I'm going to be shopping elsewhere until I feel better.

Edited by HorsescentS

I was still rankled about it, and sitting here fuming, so I contacted Peak Customer Service again on their live chat instead of the phone this time. I sent them the link to this thread and Chelsea was very nice, offered to replace the wicks, but I turned down her offer because it won't make up for all the hours of screwed up testing, the wax, the jars, the FO used up, the dye, etc. This is messed up. Thinking about it makes me want to cry and gives me a slight headache. I'm going to go make a smoothie.

You go ahead & make a big one! Did the incorrect Htp83 ever work for you?

I'm going to be testing my HTP-83 in my pint mason, since it's really an HTP-93, so I'm sure it will work better than the my HTP-93 did because it was really an HTP-83. :cry2::cry2::cry2: But I have to let the wax harden up for another day to get accurate test results.

Edited by HorsescentS

HS...It seems you might have mislabeled wicks. I dug out the ones from here that were the same wick but different thicknesses so you can see in case it happens in the future where you do have a wick with thicker prime. These are both from TCMS and both are HTP83. Have used both and they do burn the same but the one on the right is just a little thicker due to the prime.

post-12505-139458504515_thumb.jpg

HS...It seems you might have mislabeled wicks. I dug out the ones from here that were the same wick but different thicknesses so you can see in case it happens in the future where you do have a wick with thicker prime. These are both from TCMS and both are HTP83. Have used both and they do burn the same but the one on the right is just a little thicker due to the prime.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25123[/ATTACH]

Wow! That's a big difference! Thanks, Jeanie. Very interesting. I think mine were mislabeled based on whacky test results. sigh...

Wow! That's a big difference! Thanks, Jeanie. Very interesting. I think mine were mislabeled based on whacky test results. sigh...

Yep, it is :) It threw me the first time it happened but now am sorta used to it from ordering from different suppliers and as you can see, same supplier....different thickness.

As if we don't have enough problems wicking our waxes, right?

Yep, it is :) It threw me the first time it happened but now am sorta used to it from ordering from different suppliers and as you can see, same supplier....different thickness.

As if we don't have enough problems wicking our waxes, right?

Right! It's really good to know the difference the primer can make in the size, I'm so glad you posted about it. You've saved me from totally freaking out in the future if I have that situation.

Right! It's really good to know the difference the primer can make in the size, I'm so glad you posted about it. You've saved me from totally freaking out in the future if I have that situation.

I actually realized it can happen when we primed our wicks here with high temp micro wax to keep them from tipping over during a customer's torture burn...my DIL to be specific. Don't know how she managed when it didn't happen for me but she did. She hasn't been able to get another to tip since....lol.

When we primed they came out thicker compared to regular wicks. Didn't think they would burn right but they did the same as the way they came from the supplier. We don't do our own anymore but ordered some from CW primed that way and in the future may use Peak since it was mentioned on the forum (I think by you maybe?) that Peak uses 200 degree prime.

Am looking at the two bags of HTP wicks and can see right in the bag the different thickness. Oh, and btw...those are HTP 93....not 83. Noticed I made a typo on that post above.

I actually realized it can happen when we primed our wicks here with high temp micro wax to keep them from tipping over during a customer's torture burn...my DIL to be specific. Don't know how she managed when it didn't happen for me but she did. She hasn't been able to get another to tip since....lol.

When we primed they came out thicker compared to regular wicks. Didn't think they would burn right but they did the same as the way they came from the supplier. We don't do our own anymore but ordered some from CW primed that way and in the future may use Peak since it was mentioned on the forum (I think by you maybe?) that Peak uses 200 degree prime.

Am looking at the two bags of HTP wicks and can see right in the bag the different thickness. Oh, and btw...those are HTP 93....not 83. Noticed I made a typo on that post above.

I think Peak primes with 212 degree wax.