Question

hiacyntheab

I know I'm not in the right place but I need some help with soap making. I am trying to test my soap for a ph balance.I'm using Phenolphthalein. I was told that it should turn pink is this correct. everything I have read says that it should stay clear. Can anyone clear this up. When I tested my soap after 12 hours the drop that I put on the soap was clear. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

HELP

Liz

Phenolphthalein changes from clear to pink over a pH range of 8 to 10. So if it's bright bright pink, the pH is over 10 and it is too caustic. However if it's just barely noticeable you are on the safe end (around 8).

The test you're trying to do requires dissolving the soap in 95% ethanol (Everclear or the equivalent), adding phenolphthalein, and then titrating it with an acid solution. From the amount of acid it takes to reach the endpoint (solution turns from pink to clear), you can calculate the total alkali. The soap is good if it's 1 ppt (0.1%) or less. More than that and there's either a problem with the batch or it needs to cure longer.

If you want to learn how to do that sort of testing and you're up for a little chemistry, your can get this book: http://cavemanchemistry.com/scisoap.html

I agree with the others.How long has your soap cured?I am from the old school and still test my soap with a sliver on the tongue-if it burns-it is not ready.When the the silver tastes like just soap no burn or sting-your ready to go.If it burns or stings your tongue,it will burn your eyes!But I also test with the ph paper to be sure.The tongue test has proven it self over and over.Can you tell I have made soap for ever.:laugh2:I make very mild soap that does'nt sting your eyes and conditions the skin.