How long should I wait?

Last month I poured two 8oz tins with 6006 and the same wick. I tested one of them after two weeks and recorded weight and MP diameter each hour. It has been four weeks since that test. Is it time to test the second candle or should I wait longer?

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That should be plenty of time to see if your candle has changed with time.

keep in mind, though, ambient temps also play a part in your burn. 

Yes they do. This is one of three candles, the other one was burned in the garage. Unless we get a cold snap, which isn't going to happen in July, the house will be at the exact same temperature as the first one. I've been very careful to control all the variables on this test. The one place I have failed is wick length. I always trim my wicks, but there is going to be some variation in length that will skew the results a little. next time I'll measure the wicks to take that variable out of the equation. As soon as some cooler weather arrives I'll  be making another candle and testing it. After that I should be able to test my FOs using the same container and wick and easily judge if they require wicking up or down based on melt pool, burn rate, and temperature they are tested at. I'm using data to make up for my lack of experience.

• Thanks 1

I’ve made up a little tear sheet to go with my little speech at Faire reminding people to trim those wicks! If it’s warm, keep it short. They seem to understand.

when described like a car, with the wick being the throttle they really get it. Gas mileage=wax mileage. 

• Like 1