New here and have a major issue ( I think lol ).

Im pretty new to the candle making scene and just cant manage to make a good candle with a good scent throw! Im not trying to make a business out of this, just a hobby so dont want to invest much more than I already have LOL.

This picture I done today. Its 9oz GW464, two Eco10 wicks, 1/2oz oil, few drops dye. Heat to 160, added dye, cooled to 140 added oil, poured at 130. Now this is what is the issue... The melted wax and dye was very light in color, after I added the fragrance oil, the color darkened tremendously. The candle was slow set unwarmed jar. After setting, it turned curdled in appearance and dipped/sliced on top. I melted it on the warmer, stirred, same thing. I dont know what went wrong with this candle. I made another candle using the same technique & temps and it came out PERFECT.

I havent melted these candles because they are curing for the next few days, but Im afraid I will be disappointed with no throw again. Does anyone use GW464 and have any tips for me? Im frustrated and want to get some xmas gifts made.

post-14872-139458503992_thumb.jpg

Being brand new to candle making I wouldn't be giving them away as christas gifts....it takes a lot of time to get a system that works down and consistent and produce a SAFE candle- you should be making and burning dozens upon dozens YOURSELF first before letting them leave your home

What and where is the oil your using from?

1/2 ounce in 464 is not going to be enough but you need to make sure it's candle safe quality oil also

You may need to heat your wax hotter and add your fragrance hotter- 464 is usually around 180 heat and fragrance right after or around 170-175

Pour temp will vary- your climate conditions will have a big part in this- I always poured that wax hotter but a lot of people on this board pour cooler

And what are your heating methods? Double boiler- presto...?

Edited by moonshine

Guest OldGlory

Hi Oopsy! Making a good quality candle is not as easy as it looks. It takes us a long time and a lot of money to get good results.

I'm a 464 user with consistent good results. I heat my wax to 180, add fragrance and dye right away. I'm not saying I hurry to do it, but I don't wait to add them. I use 1 oz (net weight, not fluid oz) of fragrance oil per pound of wax. Then I let the wax get to a slushy stage and reheat it until it's smooth as a baby's butt, stirring the whole time. The reheated wax isn't see thru like it was when I poured it - it looks like a thin milkshake with whatever color I added. This gives me very smooth tops.

You will find some fragrances will NOT have a good hot throw in soy, so you have to test each fragrance.

Do you have a cold? Do you smoke? Sometimes you can't smell a good candle because your nose isn't working properly at the time. After I'd been making candles for a few years I got a bad sinus infection and couldn't smell ANYTHING. I couldn't even tell if I had added fragrance to the wax without weighing it again.

Keep trying!

This picture I done today. Its 9oz GW464, two Eco10 wicks, 1/2oz oil

Hi Oopsy & Welcome!

On that 9 oz container....How wide is it? I'm thinking for a 9 oz size you may only need one eco 10 wick unless it is about 3.5 or more inches wide. Its hard to tell for me from the pic. It does look wider than deep.

Also, as mentioned in a post above, I'd up the FO amount to 1 oz and give that a try. You may want to cure it a couple days as well.

Before all the veteran chandlers throw things at me, might I suggest if you are simply seeking to give these as gifts, purchase a candle-making kit from a reputable supplier like Peaks. For one of our cub scout merit badges, candle making was the project, and for around $60 we got a soy container candle kit from Peaks. It had soy wax, fragrance oils proven to throw well in soy, appropriate size containers and wicks that were selected in conjunction with the container size and wax type. We made several dozen candles with impressive results for beginners, and we felt satisfied that they were safe as we followed all the directions to the letter. In fact, that was how the candle bug bit me. I enjoyed my son's candle so much that I wanted more and more and more....LOL

As far as the wicking goes, Idk because I have never double wicked or poured into a square container. But I will say that the temp seems a little low, possibly the FO didn't blend with the wax? I'm still pretty new too, but that would be my guess! I use 444 and 415, and heat to 185, and I add the FO before 175. Good luck, and welcome to the board!!

Hi folks thanks for the responses. I have burned several that I made with decent results burning wise, not scent throw wise though lol. These jars are 3.5 on all sides and is actually a 12oz jar. I have fragrance oils from candle science and from lonestar candles. I got the candle above to fix up and look flawless after melting on a warmer. Guess I didn't stir the mixture up good enough. I will go ahead and test these out and see if the 2 wicks is too overloading or not. I've tried several different variations with temps and oil amounts without good results I've researched a ton of information and most folks say the same temps they use. I'm leaning toward a screwed up nose since I use tarts very frequently. We don't smoke nor have allergies. Something just isn't right and candlemaking indeed is frustrating and a lot of work. I appreciate the advice ladies guess its more experimenting for me

Hi Oopsy,

I use that same jar with 464 and a single CD wick (after much, much testing because I just don't like double wicks). It burns down with no hang at all, and doesn't get too hot. Eco wicks didn't test as well for me. As for your scent throw, I second what OldGlory says: add your fo at 180* and stir for two full minutes. I don't use dye, so can't speak to that part. Every fo is different (again...you'll have to test test test....), but I get excellent throw with 9-9.5% (that's just the way I like to figure it...you can also do x oz. per lb.) I haven't tried the method of letting the wax get slushy then reheating, but it sounds intriguing, OldGlory! I may give that a try today!