how to make hurricane candles

hurricane candles have been really fun to make right now I've been using pictures, print carved into the wax, and recently I used plastic crystals witch created an awesome effect visually i do have of couple questions though i wanted to know if anybody is using anything else and what the effect might be and another thing is

how many people put scent in their hurricane candles?

here's a link to a cool video of me making a hurricane candle

I did watch the video, and when I saw the glass going in I said outloud, "How the he-- is she going to get THAT out?" DDDUUHHHhhhhhhh, it became the container. Wow, sometimes I'm really thick.

However, I was quite intrigued by the final product, it was really pretty with the blue add ins.

Well, there is ANOTHER thing to try!! :)

How long do you have to press the glass firmly before the wax sets up enough to hold it in place?

This is awesome. A freind of mine was thinking of appenticing under me cause he has all these great (i.e. UNSAFE) ideas for putting these herbs in and those stones in etc etc. I mentioned Hurricanes as a possible work around, but I had never done them myself, so didn't have much to offer. This is a great way to accomplish his results, while still having a safe candle!

yes putting it in the freezer is how you make it slide out no more then two minutes if you leave it in too long your candle will crack!!!

and to jjcandlescrafts make sure its non flammable i cant stress that enough safety is key but yes glass makes a really nice effect as well. broken pieces of green glass looks awesome. and para flint will help with the translucency if you have regular paraffin wax.

at chefmom I held the glass in place for five minutes but take into account i was by my open kitchen window and i live very close to the beach. surrounding temperature determines how fast the wax cools. also you want to make sure your lightly tapping the candle mold while the wax is cooling to get rid of those pesky air bubbles.

Also you may just want to tape the mold on the bottom i did that in my ice candle video

here check it out

at Pam W so you use putty i never even considered putty but it seems like it would be better then tape because you could get multiple uses out of it what kind of putty do you use?

Edited by flikrofessence

at Pam W so you use putty i never even considered putty but it seems like it would be better then tape because you could get multiple uses out of it what kind of putty do you use?

I use plumbers putty but it is a good idea to put a piece of tape over that just to be on the safe side.

When I do hurricanes, I set them in a pan of cold water - speeds up the process 10 fold..kwim

When I do hurricanes, I set them in a pan of cold water - speeds up the process 10 fold..kwim

Do you pour the wax then move the mold to the bath, or start out with the mold in the cold water? I've tried both - seems like if I start in water I can't get the candle out of the mold - but moving a full mold into a bath is... well, difficult.

I pour first then move to the bath -- use oven mitts....but I have set the mold in the sink, poured my wax then cover the top of the mold with a saucer & run cold water into the sink slowly...just don't run so much water that the mold starts to float..lol

More than one way to skin a cat :-)