looking for advice

lrbd

You need to read the forum. You don't say what you wish to make. Much, much more information is needed.

And remember, other crafters in your area aren't going to want to reveal their trade secrets.

You learn by researching and doing. You can't learn by doing what someone else does.

With over 500 posts, I'm assuming you've made SOMETHING in the past, but your question isn't really informative on what information you are wanting to know.

Could you please elaborate. Are you looking for the steps you might need to take to start a business on the OFFICE/BUSINESS side of it ( business plan, taxes, insurance, registering a name, what office supplies you might find handy to have on hand.. etc )...

Marketing questions ?

Thank you both for replying ... @sliver of wax....I don't want Anyone's secrets and I research plenty . @ black tie affair . Yes I have been making candles dipped critters and now some soap for about 6 years . I am looking for steps all the things you mention . I am not sure which comes first and what is legitimately needed to sell at home parties and craft shows and to stores. When I look into it most things are for opening an actual store which is not my intention . Again thank you

Edited by lrbd

Your best bet is the Chamber of Commerce in your locality. You need to know if you are allowed by local laws to have an in home business from your township/city/borough etc.

If you rent, are you allowed to run a business under your lease?

After that, you will need a business license and a tax number etc so that you can collect and pay sales tax. If you are using your own name, then a small business will operate under your social security number/name. If you want to use a fictitious name, that is a different process, as is a LLC (limited liability company).

And insurance as well, since you will be the manufacturer, not just a retail reseller.

Get out the pens, it's mostly tons of paperwork. If you have the money, you can find a local accountant or attorney to walk you through it, but it's my understanding that you can do it yourself as well.

This is one of those questions where :

1. You're going to get a bunch of different ( some correct, some not as correct as need be ) answers from each person depending on their experience or experiences they've encountered. Sorry LOL

2. It can be a simple answer or it can ( and should ) get very detailed.

First thing I would worry about it :

A business plan. Do you work? How many hours will you devote to internet research ( forums, videos, etc ), how many hours and HOW MUCH MONEY will you devote to testing, do you work outside the home? How many home parties do you plan on doing a month? Do you have willing friends who can help you host them? Will you be there or just send brochures and product, you need a contract with those people to cover you both if you are leaving product in their possession. How many craft shows will you go to each year?( that in and of itself is a huge undertaking with the extra product you need and also the supplies like tables, business flyers, etc). What type of store do you want to sell to, or are you interested in consignment? What happens if your products start flying off the shelves, are you prepared and have the resources ( money , adequate room to make a huge order , TIME if you work outside the home, family/friends to help make the products AND are willing to understand this is a BUSINESS and that's why you didn't cook supper for a week and they had to eat TV dinners. )

Is where you are living, zoned for having a home business, ( whether you are selling out of it or not, it's still a manufacturing place according to SOME laws and zones), Will you get kicked out if you have an HOA and they don't allow it. Will you be bothering others with the smells, noise, deliveries, etc. Then check into insurance. That's key! Insurance for your home ( and they DO need to know what you are doing, some drop you if they find out ), you also need liability insurance to cover you in case someone tries to sue you for whatever reason. Some vehicle insurance will NOT cover your car and / or products if you are transporting them in a private vehicle , to a craft show or home party.

Those are just a TINY few of the things I thought of I myself needed to check into and make sure THOSE ducks were lined up before I could reasonably start even taking to shows or selling to friends much less stores or home parties.

There are so many wonderful posts on here from truly experienced ( whether small time operations or really large ones ) that you can search for , and I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of others chiming in and helping out. Good luck sweetie but just remember this.. it's a HUGE step even if you're doing it as a SMALL operation. Think it through first, and make sure you can truly handle it. You know how this economy is.. you could fall on your face no matter how great your products are or you may hit it just right and become a hell of a lot larger than you ever intended. Just make sure you are truly prepared, mentally , physically and MONETARILY for either one to happen.

This is my thought along with all the other answers but what cross my mind first:

Going into business with another person unless you know them well could cause friction especially if the personalities, way of doing thing, etc. are different.

I know if I went into business with someone, it would only work if we thought along the same lines, worked at the same pace and felt the same about various issues such as safety and organization.