Confusion on how much FO to use

:confused:

So I keep reading in various places to use 1oz of FO per pound of soy wax, which if my calculations are correct is 6%.

I'm brand new to this and I picked up some FO from Michaels for my first batch (I have since ordered and am waiting for some stuff from CandleScience). It is a .5 oz bottle and on the back it says to use .5oz per 2lbs of wax, which is 1.5%. Can this be right? Are there scent oils that concentrated?

I did a million things wrong with that first pound of wax so it would be tough to decide if the amount of scent oil is why for sure I'm getting a poor scent throw from it. I do however want to use it for my next pound of wax bc I don't want to waste it, so the question is should I just do the full 6% even though the packaging recommends a quarter of that?

Thanks all

That package amount is probably for basic paraffin wax, the amount of fragrance a wax can hold is determined by the wax, not the oil. Also, Michaels' oils are not very strong, and are probably fragrance cut with carriers oils.

If you can wait for the candle science oils I would wait and go ahead and use the 1 ounce per pound of wax to start testing.

:confused:

I do however want to use it for my next pound of wax bc I don't want to waste it,

Thanks all

Well, is it worse to 'waste' a fraction of an ounce of FO that doesn't suit, or to waste a few lbs of wax?

The original FO is a sunk cost. Move forward with professional products and end up with professional results.

If you simply must use it, then how about using a few drops in an oil warmer?

I agree. I studied and read and watched tutorials and went first to Hobby Lobby and Michael's to get supplies and I used twice the oil suggested and it was awful. Weak and fake smelling.

I'd return it (if you can-I could not ascertain if you have it opened already) or chalk it up to newbie start up expense and wait for your order to come in.

It is not the same.

I also agree that you need to follow instructions for your wax. With melts, and becasue I am a hobbyist, I can experiment with oil concentration but with something flammable, I'd read here and do as others here and follow closely what is recommended for your choice of wax.