Floaters/tarts not releasing from mold

scifichik

Help! I'm experimenting with the scalloped 1 oz metal molds that most people use for floating candles or tarts, but I'm having a hideous time getting them to release. I'm using Golden Wax 415, which is supposed to be for tarts/votives (unless I was told wrong.)

I don't want to buy mold release by itself without anything else I need to order, so does anyone have any suggestions for me? My partner in crime noticed that the mold release on the supplier sites all say "food grade," so she's thinking we could use non-stick cooking spray. I'm thinking that would be messy.

We tried the old "stick it in a freezer for half hour trick," but no good results. LOL

Someone take pity on me with a nifty tip or trick!

Yea, I'd hit the molds with Pam spray. Just be sure NOT to use one of the ones that have flour or things other than oil in them. Since you are already using a soy wax, the soy and cottonseed oil sprays are pretty much the same thing! If it pools in the bottom, just dab with a trusty paper towel.

If you have gunk in the bottom from them sticking, turn them upsidedown on a paper towel in a low oven to melt everything out, then one by one give them a good paper towel wipe, then spray and try your tarts again.

Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions! I'm back on track now. I heated the molds, cleaned them out with paper towel, poured again and let them cure a day. I put them in the freezer for 15 minutes, then they were happy to release when put upside down. Some slid right out, some with a gentle squeeze on the edge of the mold. I'm thinking it might have been the fragrance oil that caused them to be so cantankerous previous---German Chocolate Cake. Smells great, but will just do clamshells with that from now on.