Palm Wedge Pillars (beginner!)

Cinder

Hey guys, I've been experimenting with palm pillars, and need some advice. I am using pure palm feathering wax, and everytime I do wedges, the bottom layer seems to separate just a bit from the mold, causing a tiny bit of wax from the top layer to seep in. The candles end up with some imperfections like these I made today. These were made from the feathering palm wax I mentioned, using CS Carribean Teakwood (1oz=1lb). I heated the wax to 180, and poured at 170. I also wrap the molds with aluminum foil and a towel to keep them warmer longer.

[ATTACH]24746[/ATTACH]

What should I do to avoid it? Anyone have any other comments or suggestions?

post-13595-139458501629_thumb.jpg

Heya, Cinder. They look pretty good. With the feather palm, you don't have to wait until it's fully cooled before turning it. It does need a crust on the top that you have poured, but not a very thick one. That wax is awesome for making "ombre" style layers, by the way. The thinner the crust, the more likely the first color will bleed into the next color. If that doesn't bother you, you can make some interesting color patterns that way. If you don't want them that particular way, you could test with a heat gun against the side to see if you can get it to expand a little, then have it kick off again but not wait so long to pour your second layer.