Leaky Clamshells

Alajane

I can’t figure out what’s going on with myclamshells suddenly! Last night on the 8thclamshell of a pour, I noticed that one was leaking. I’ve read that happens occasionally (althoughit was the first time for me), so I dumped the wax back into the pot andcontinued. Then on my next pour, thefirst 3 all leaked, and I had another leaky one in the next pour. I only did a small run last night; out ofaround 30 clamshells, I had 5 that had to be thrown away—not counting the mess! That's a very high percentage!

I’ve used 3 cases in the past from eClamshellwithout any leaks and, as I said, was halfway through this one from Impact whenit started happening. I can’t figure outwhat’s causing it—I’ve always poured clamshells at 160° or less with noproblems. I can’t think it’s the temperature, especially with the first pour, because the first 7 didn’t leak—and that waxwould have been hotter, if anything.

I had that problem once or twice with my clamshells from eClamshell, but it was obvious that there was a little tear. The ones from Impact don't stick together for some reason, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem. There's no tugging at all to separate these--for that reason alone I had decided they were worth the ~$0.03 more than those from eClamshell, but now I don't know since I never had eClamshell's leak (for no obvious reason).

Edited by Alajane

Since I had used half a case before the problem occurred, I don't want to contact them too hastily. I'm going to pour again this weekend and see if lowering the temp might help. If the problem continues to occur, I will contact them.

I've had the same experience. It seems like when they leak it is frequently in a small group of the same pour. Sometimes I have seen a very small spot on the PVC and when it leaked I noticed it was on that spot, like a flaw. Othertimes I have been trying to pour too hot and will melt a little weak spot I guess. For a while I poured 1/2 full and finished the batch like that and then started over topping them off to see if that helped, it didn't but pouring cooler def did. On average I have 10 max in a box that will leak so I haven't worried about it.

TraciS, thanks for sharing your experience--I haven't had any more since the night I posted about, so it may have been an experience like yours. I had been posting at around 160° but dropped that down to 150°, so that may have helped also. I hate waiting that extra time--messes up my whole system! But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks,

Jane