Does anyone use the clam shell as a mold?

Chefmom

I have been playing with clam shells and wax for the scent warmers and I was wondering if anyone used the clam shell and instead of selling as is, popped the scented wax out and then packaged it in a small (and cheaper) bag with a smaller label, then re-used the clam shell like a mold?

I'm so frugal that I re-use everything and anything I can and I thought it was quite wasteful to just pitch that plastic clam shell. I would rather just have a small baggie as the waste. :rolleyes2

JMO but I'm thinking you're only going to get a few (2 , 3 maybe) uses of that, and chances are they won't be pretty and sharp edged since the thin plastic has been smushed ( yes that's a word in Alabama LOL ).

Why not invest in one of those silicone molds that a lot use. I've also heard of, but have never tried it, mini cavity ice cube trays.

When I'm doing testers, or have left over wax when I'm doing a project, I use the metal non stick mini muffin cup tray type.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=AF414343-1E0B-C910-EAF4100780D53DC6&fid=AF414353-1E0B-C910-EA3B654D670439BD

http://www.amazon.com/Casabella-Silicone-Mini-Cube-Tray/dp/B003DREDTQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1345219274&sr=8-11&keywords=candy+molds+mini

If you'll do a search on candy molds, chocolate molds ( both plastic and silicone ) you'll come up with literally 1000s of molds to pick from.

Amazon is a good place, also the bakery and restaurant websites have tons, and there are many many sites dedicated strictly to nothing but candy molds.

Good luck. I just think you'll find that investing in one of the other molds, will be more than worth it. There are some plastic ones, that if you take care of them, and don't pour too hot, you can use for a year or two and they only cost like 2 to 7 bucks each.

If you were making them for personal use and didn't care about them being pretty-do you think you still could only get 2 or 3 tops uses out of clamshells? Repouring in the same scent of course.

I thought about silicone molds about like the ones you posted. But I read about how they can retain scent.

When you use the mini muffin pans (as you said, non-stick) do the tarts come out easily? What about ease of cleaning? Do you have any issues with scent transfer to the pan?

Also, I worry about storing the tarts. Mine would be 100% for personal use. Glass jars seem to be the best option from what I've read-no scent transfer between jars. I would worry about scent transfer between anything in plastic (had an expereince years ago with wrapped scented candles where one ruined the whole batch-all stored in a baggie in a drawer).

I do understand from what I've read that some plastics will kind of "soften/melt" from the fragrance oil in the tart or leech the fragrance out.

What would you reccomend to keep the scents from transferring to one another-glass, or something else.

If you were making them for personal use and didn't care about them being pretty-do you think you still could only get 2 or 3 tops uses out of clamshells? Repouring in the same scent of course.

I thought about silicone molds about like the ones you posted. But I read about how they can retain scent.

When you use the mini muffin pans (as you said, non-stick) do the tarts come out easily? What about ease of cleaning? Do you have any issues with scent transfer to the pan?

Also, I worry about storing the tarts. Mine would be 100% for personal use. Glass jars seem to be the best option from what I've read-no scent transfer between jars. I would worry about scent transfer between anything in plastic (had an expereince years ago with wrapped scented candles where one ruined the whole batch-all stored in a baggie in a drawer).

I do understand from what I've read that some plastics will kind of "soften/melt" from the fragrance oil in the tart or leech the fragrance out.

What would you reccomend to keep the scents from transferring to one another-glass, or something else.

Yes, I think if they are for personal use, it really doesn't matter what they look like, so use them as see what happens and how they hold up.

The silicone molds in some cases do retain scent on some fo's but there's a lot of threads on how people use different ways to get the scent out.

The mini muffin pans (non stick ) they come out GREAT ( using my wax, which is a votive paraffin 4794 ) all I do is turn the pan upside down on a paper towel, twist it a little like if you were using an ice tray and out they pop. Also, you can pop the tray in the freezer for a very few minutes ( 2 to 4 ) and it will usually shrink the wax just enough to easily get them out ( a lot of candle makers use that method when they have a particularly stubborn pillar candle and some MP soapers have to do this also ,, just don't leave it in there too long ! )

Depending on how long you plan on having them ( how many, how often are you going to use them up, etc )... high quality plastic (poly pro ) will work fine if you aren't planning on them staying in there for mega months or years, but yes, glass works wonderfully.

Since they are for home only use, I'd personally use glass if I was going to have "loose melts". Just like with anything, make sure it wont get knocked over ( I know you know that, but the longer you do this, if you start selling or having outside testers, you'll start making sure you add little things like that just to make sure you CYA LOL )

With the silicone molds, if you don't let the wax sit in them for a super long time, and wash with soap and water when you are done, they usually don't hold on to too much scent, but I have noticed some of the stronger scents do still linger. A very easy and inexpensive way that I have fallen in love with is making brittle, or crumbles. You just need a decent non stick jelly roll pan, for a "brittle" just break the wax into pieces after it has set completely. Crumbles are a little more complicated, you have to stir about every 5 minutes or so til the wax is hard. Kind of like browning hamburger, I use a little hand held scraper and fold and chop! I sell a lot of the crumbles, as a lot of people say, they are perfect for if you want just a little scent, or a lot, and it's also great for mixing scents, this is how I have come up with many of my creations!! HTH!

I probably WOULD be storing them for months-making up batches at a time. So glass sounds like the best idea.

Yep good idea to be careful where you put it! I'm thinking in a cabinet since I really don't have room to display them and since they likely won't be pretty won't want to anyhow.

I really like the metal pan idea. It sounds like it might not hold scent the way the silicone ones do. I would be using 4625/4630 in maybe 50/50 or 75/25 blend (respectively). I wonder if that would work in the metal pans?

I've wondered about the brittle idea. Can I take a knife or pizza cutter and cut them into more uniform pieces with the brittle?

I kind of want to make uniform pieces (I'm a little OCD *smile*) Also with an accounting/tax background I wanted to make them uniform so I'd know the exact cost of every tart I burn.

Yes I've done the math already. In part because hubby didn't think I could make them cheaper than buying them and I think so far that I can by at least 50% and making them stronger not having to worry about a bottom line.

EDIT: Also, do you use a spatula to spread out the brittle like you would a cake?

Edited by miagracie

While in the beginning you can't truly make them cheaper ( because you've had to buy your supplies and instruments, molds, etc ) trust me, shortly you can definitely be making them for a LOT cheaper than you can buy them! That's how a lot of us got in this business to begin with. While we had a love for the craft, we wanted to be able to save money LOL.

You shouldn't need to use a spatula to spread it unless you let the wax cool a lot in the pot, just pour it at whatever temp is best for the wax and let it sit. When the wax is set, but still soft you can score it, then when it is set just break it apart and it makes nice little squares! As far as the type of wax you are using, I have never tried it, but I imagine it wouldn't be much different, as long as it is not a softer blend of wax, then but then they will be hard to remove from any mold.

I started out making brittle. I have been using these molds for a couple of months now:

http://www.michaels.com/Silicone-Brownie-Bites-Pan/sc1136,default,pd.html?cgid=products-bakeware-browniefun-pans&start=1

They are $10 each. I always buy them with a 50% off one bakeware item coupon or a 40% any one item coupon making them $5-$6. I have 8 of them and they work beautifully!

I pop out the cooled tarts and store them in large polypro bags in a candle cabinet in a guest room.

I like being able to label them as shown here:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/kkawallek/Home%20Fragrance/IMG_20120715_184409a.jpg

I list date, scent name, scent source, wax type and wax source. OCD enough for ya? haha!

Thanks! I think the brittle idea will be a great way to make tarts. Thanks for the great directions.

A question on the molds from michaels (they are very nice!) do you have an issue with the scents mixing or difficulty cleaning them?

Love the way you're storing your tarts. Very cute, nice and neat. Hey, I'm OCD myself so I think it's great! (*smile*)

Lovely quilt also! Very pretty!

Is there a special place to get the polypro bags? I take it they don't leach the fragrance out or melt obviously.

I agree. Papermart has a nice assortment of Polypro bags. Uline is great if you need a lot of them. RE/AH also has a nice assortment pretty cheap and I appreciate ordering there rather than incurring separate shipping because I always have FO's I want to try or need to reorder.

I have no issue with the silicone molds and scent transfer. On really strong melts (laundry mainly), I did get a tip here to warm in the oven, upside down on a cookie sheet lined with foil.

Here is the odd thing. When I washed the molds with soap and water, I got sometimes a wax film in the molds. Now I only wash with hot water and I have no residue. Something in my Seventh Generation dish soap (an EO perhaps?) may have come into play.

I get my bags from AH/RE, I was buying at a local supplier, and paying $9 for 100 bags, so I was tickled pink to find them for just a fraction of the cost. I have spent a ton of money in the past in super pricey silicone molds. The past 2 days I have been making footballs and stars, footballs in a plastic chocolate mold I picked up from Amazon, and grubby stars in a super expensive mold from ebay, I paid 3x as much for. :embarasse Last night when I was washing them up I noticed some flaking on the silicone mold, which I have had less than a month! The plastic cheapo? Still perfect. In fact I know it will last me through several football seasons, the grubby star mold? Probably won't make it to Christmas. :cry2: I wish I would have found this board before I started like you did Mia! You'll save tons with the food type molds!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been playing with clam shells and wax for the scent warmers and I was wondering if anyone used the clam shell and instead of selling as is, popped the scented wax out and then packaged it in a small (and cheaper) bag with a smaller label, then re-used the clam shell like a mold?

I'm so frugal that I re-use everything and anything I can and I thought it was quite wasteful to just pitch that plastic clam shell. I would rather just have a small baggie as the waste. :rolleyes2

As for the basis of this post, I did do exactly what you had said not because of the environment but cost, I made approx 6 clamshells and they were still looking rather nice, however in the bag there wasnt enough support to stop them breaking up. Personal use probably wouldnt matter but you would end up with crumbs. For business, I didn't find it viable, in the end I remelted and rescented them and put them back in clams, and sold them cheap as seconds.

As for the basis of this post, I did do exactly what you had said not because of the environment but cost, I made approx 6 clamshells and they were still looking rather nice, however in the bag there wasnt enough support to stop them breaking up. Personal use probably wouldnt matter but you would end up with crumbs. For business, I didn't find it viable, in the end I remelted and rescented them and put them back in clams, and sold them cheap as seconds.

Thanks! It was just one of those "ponderings" while I was working one morning. I like to do the simplest packaging as possible and I have little bags that would be cute. I guess they would break over time.

I have since been pouring little "tarties" in a silicone tassie mold. It's just like my Pecan Tassie pans, only silicone. I have used it up to this point to pour color disks so I can keep track of all these colors I'm playing with. I also have a cute tassie sized sunflower mold that I made baby Melt and Pour soap samples in, so that is coming in handy and making cute little "tarties".

I'm working on a "Scent-Sational" Wedding Gift Basket and I picked up a really cute warmer so I wanted to include several different scents for the warmer, some tea lights, a couple of my container candles and a few pillars. I also have some soaps that I'm wrapping in clear cello and a homemade soap dish as well.

At first I was going to call the bride ( a cousin of hubbies) and ask her if she wanted me to do a wedding cake in place of a gift, but then I had the great idea of the gift basket. I still get to make something, it's so much nicer and personal than a card with cash. In my opinion anyway!!!! :rolleyes2

Chefmom, I did a similar basket (although yours sounds much more deluxe!!) as a fundraiser for a 2 year old in my church with cancer.

It was easy and was a popular item, which of course, thrilled me becasue I wanted to help raise as much money as possible.

Here is what it looked like:post-14519-139458501708_thumb.jpg

That's really cute! I have something similar in mind, I'm hoping to find the "right" basket. I have found a few on etsy, but I haven't' put together a full budget for myself. I know basic basketweaving, but I really am too busy with garden projects to put myself into making a basket on top of all the candles.

I love that basket though..........