body butter questions

ksranch

Okay, I dove in and made my first batch of body butter. It turned out 'harder' than I expected... it's more firm than butter. Is it the whipping that makes it softer? (I didn't try to make "whipped" this time out)) If so, can I remelt it and then try again with some whipping? I really really like how it makes my skin feel, very happy in that regard.. just wish it was a little softer. Suggestions?? TIA

Is it anhydrous or are you using water, emulsifier, etc.? If it's just butter and oils you should be able to remelt and whip it. Might want to up your oils or soft butters a bit. If it is an emulsified recipe that you won't be able to remelt.

The last batch of just whipped butter I made, which was a while ago, was pretty firm. I used a recipe of 40% hard butter, 40% soft butter, 18% oils, and 1% each Vitamin E and FO. In my notes I say that the oil percentage needed to be upped, but I haven't played with since then. It was a very nice butter, just not as creamy as I wanted.

My body butter is made with water so it has an emulsifier. I use 20% oils and 10% hard butters in the recipe. I don't go crazy with the whipping but I do use my kitchen aid. I get a much smoother texture than using a stickblender or hand mixer.

Looks like a nice 80/20 mix of butters and oils. Mine had a 50/50 mix of the hard/soft butters which is why I thought mine turned out pretty hard. I would try remelting and adding another ounce of the SAO and then whip. That would put you around a 70/30 blend. I know some people will put the heated oils in the freezer for a bit then start whipping it once it just starts to solidify. Could probably use an ice bath as well if you wanted. It's just like candles, trial and error. :)