Making incense holder from moldable clay?

Darbla

I'd like to sculpt a little personalized incense holder, but don't know if the moldable, hardening clays on the market are fireproof. I don't have a kiln, so any kind of extensive firing, glazing, etc. is out. Do any of you know of a clay material that would work for this?

If its for cones I would definitely use some type of earth clay that would need to be fired in a kiln unfortunately. since polymer clay is basically plastic i wouldnt recommend it for cones unless the bottom of the burner is metal or glass, like something your owl sits on that is safe for the cone to burn in and then sculpt the polymer clay owl to sit ontop of the bowl. See how her incense burner is in the clay and clay is sculpted around it? but heat is not directly on the polymer clay.

post-9415-139458500888_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I thought about that, DeAnna_EC. I may make the bottom of the owl open so he just sits on top of a small metal or glass dish. Or mold him around a small dish. But the picture you showed looks like it is for stick incense, which means the burning coal part never even gets near the rest of the holder. Since I'm using cones and they will be enclosed in the holder, it's trickier.

I was hoping this was not going to end up being a huge piece, so if any of you have ideas for a tiny metal or glass dish I can use on the inside, I'm all ears. I'm still slightly concerned about that too, though, because of the heat being held inside. Hmmmm, I might try a votive holder, and add some sand in it as another layer of heat absorption.

what if you made the owl hallow to sit over a cone incense burner? like these? you could still sculpt the owl over the tops and make the holes, or just make the owl to sit over the entire burner. Thats the only thing I can think of without using earth clay or ceramic and having a fireproof glaze put on

post-9415-139458500892_thumb.jpg