Perservative in Labcolors

tamese

I'm new to the soap world, but not to colors. I sell colors for people to use on bird toys. If they mix the colors with water I always tell them to either throw it away or keep it in the fridge. Water sitting around goes stagnant over time and can grow bacteria. I would email BB and ask them about it.

OK so I called BB and they said I should add a perservative to M&P when I use labcolors. So I've been reading some other threads and found that some people said a perservative should be added to any thing that has water in it or anything that water will come in contact with. So that brings up my next question. So since M&P will come in contact with water should all M&P have a perservatives in it even if it has no labcolors?

I've made a lot of mp soap and never had a problem with bacteria. MP will absorb moisture from the air and eventually look very gross and nasty if not shrink wrapped or covered but usually a preservative in soap is to prevent spoilage from an additive or oil that has a short shelf life. Did BB suggest what kind of preservative you should use with their coloration?

Steve

I'm sorry I misstated what she told me. This is what she said. You will never have to use a preservative in your Melt and Pour soap, or CP for that matter! Both Cold Process and Melt and Pour soaps both have a pH level that does not allow mold or bacteria growth in your soaps. How cool is that?

You do still need to use a preservative in your LabColors! Here is a link to a post Anne-Marie did on Soap Queen about diluting your LabColors. She takes you through it step by step and uses Germaben preservative in this example. :) You can use any water soluble preservative, make sure not to use phenonip as it is oil soluble and will just float on top of your water