Mc/415

What could be up with MC fragrance oils in 415 wax with USA?

I get a flaky top when they cure- doing nothing else different than with other FO's and I Finally get smooth tops

I have read many great reviews with these FO's in this wax and they do throw good but I am not liking the crusty tops

I've only used NG oils and just plain 415, but did get flaky top if I poured above 99. Cucumber wasabi cilantro was super flakey for what ever reason. Prob not much help but jus what happend to me. Have you tried pouring a lil cooler with those FOs?

I do that too.... Well at least I think I am- somewhere on here I read and started:

After I drop to 100 with the FO already in I heat back up to 115 and drop again to cloudy or 100 and pour- it has made a huge difference in appearance and in the actual burn of the candle- whether that's "real" tempering I am not sure but it has made a difference

Maybe these FO's need to be added at a different temp....crazy but they have been throwing and burning good

Moonshine, when I temper I bring wax to 185* then cool till its almost solidified, bring back up to 185* then remove from heat, add fo, cool till pour temp. If its throwing well and everything else is fine, maybe just a quick zap with your heat gun will smooth it out enough to your liking. Gotta love soy ; )

I read all those threads and it seemed like to much work and time for me! LOL

So when I came across the thread in doing it the way I have been - that didn't seem so bad

Now whether that is tempering or not I don't know but it seemed to help in appearance until now- another reason to stay away from buying new fragrances- haha

Maybe I will give the other way a try and see what happens- why did I ever decide soy was what I wanted to go with....LOL BUT I love this wax when it works all the way around!!

I read all those threads and it seemed like to much work and time for me! LOL

So when I came across the thread in doing it the way I have been - that didn't seem so bad

Now whether that is tempering or not I don't know but it seemed to help in appearance until now- another reason to stay away from buying new fragrances- haha

Maybe I will give the other way a try and see what happens- why did I ever decide soy was what I wanted to go with....LOL BUT I love this wax when it works all the way around!!

It was what I started with many years back but thought the grass was greener....I was happy with C3 last year until I found too many air pockets in random containers. I understand it has to do with cooling but those pockets made me too nervous so I moved on. Now using a blend of paraffin/parasoy and am happy. If I do use soy now, it is back to 415 only.

I agree it is a great soy, great HT and easy to wick. I stopped the tempering for just the reason you mentioned even though I do remember realizing a difference. It just didn't agree with my AA personality.

For times sake I'll melt my wax before I go to bed, then when Im ready the next day, I'll heat it back up...hth :-)

That makes sense especially during this time of year and forward where we are beginning to make a lot of testers/candles ahead of and during the busy season.

Now you guys have me thinking about adding soy to my line again....along with parasoy. Just knew it had to be too good to be true with being done testing waxes. :)

It was what I started with many years back but thought the grass was greener....I was happy with C3 last year until I found too many air pockets in random containers. I understand it has to do with cooling but those pockets made me too nervous so I moved on.

Jeanie, I know most pour C3 hot, but for me, pouring right when it starts to get a film on the top works great. No frost, no wet spots, and if I do get a sink hole then I just do a quick repour....dont like heat guns, but I do consider them a necessary evil.

For times sake I'll melt my wax before I go to bed, then when Im ready the next day, I'll heat it back up...hth :-)

So it is alright for it to completely solidify... That wouldn't be bad then I can heat before I leave for work in the morning and then continue on when I get home in the evening- this could be alright but now I will want another presto because I only do 1 pound at a time for testers and transfer it into my pour pot- add FO and so on- I don't do the ladle thing.... but maybe I should and use a single burner to reheat....hmmm ideas ideas

It was what I started with many years back but thought the grass was greener....I was happy with C3 last year until I found too many air pockets in random containers. I understand it has to do with cooling but those pockets made me too nervous so I moved on.

Jeanie, I know most pour C3 hot, but for me, pouring right when it starts to get a film on the top works great. No frost, no wet spots, and if I do get a sink hole then I just do a quick repour....dont like heat guns, but I do consider them a necessary evil.

I had zero luck with C3- tons of bubbles no matter how I poured or cooled and no throw like 415- but I gave it up pretty fast to- didn't fit my OCD/ADD personality! LOL

Moonshine, the bubbles drove me nuts...but then I started tempering and using USA-no bubbles!! I get great ct and ht from it using 8% fo load. I first tried CBA-no ht, then 464-was a pita to wick, so when I tried C3 I was determined to make that work lol. I will say tho, I have bought candles made with 415 and ht was great...it was those candles that made me to want to make my own.

If I ever go back to C3, I will keep that in mind...definitely and thank you for the pouring temp tip.

What scares me is I didn't realize the sink holes were under the testers and ended up with great big flames burning from the wick down inside a crater. I think I'd have to poke holes and do a re-pour or heat gun (as you suggested) the top to rest easy.

I did think it was the best soy wax ever when I started working with it. Wicked easily, had great HT and made a beautiful candle. Then, I apparently got lackadaisical and poured or cooled in a way to create the sink holes.

MS....I only saw a few of those bubbles. Like soap bubbles. Had heard about them bothering people but I was busy pouring too hot to get too many of them, I guess. I had to chuckle about your OCD since I have it too...bad! :)

Edited by jeanie353

Ok so I tempered per IMC - I heated in the am Before work and when I got home from work I finished a batch with MC artic air and my tops were very smooth- I also use USA but am wondering if it's needed now with this method

The throw on this one is wonderful but after each burn it has the typical crater look but that is not an issue for me at all- its the initial cured look I cannot stand anything but smooth!

Thanks IMC- I will be testing this week a few more MC fragrances- they seem to do good in this wax with the exception of Dutch apple pie- that was a weak one