Best books for natural candle making?

I own quite a few books on candle making. First, most of them are old, and they are nice to look at, but I learned by doing. Making candles, burning candles and studying what was going on at each step.

Natural and organic? I would think the ONLY pure and natural wax out there would be beeswax and bayberry. I wouldn't have a clue how to get a hold of bayberry wax unless you grow it yourself.

Even the simplest cotton wick has to go through a chemical process to make it work as a candle wick, so even though it's "natural cotton" it has had a chemical process.

You could probably google working with beeswax, it has it's own properties and wick needs. If you live near bee keepers you could probably get raw wax and process it yourself.

I blend beeswax with paraffin for pillars, but beeswax sticks to metal molds like glue!! I like the blend. I also dip small pillars of pure beeswax, right now I'm testing those for wick size etc.

I love books, but I have only learned the VERY basics of paraffin candles from them.

Edited by Chefmom

I work in beeswax. It is a labor of love. You couldn't pay me enough to process the wax myself.

No matter what you read online or in a book, until you make and test them yourself you miss half of the best information. As a natural product, the viscosity of beeswax varies from lot to lot, which requires extensive testing with each new batch.

The only other natural candle ingredient I can think of (besides bayberry which I also love, but hate the price) is tallow. Not one I would care to work with. Though I suppose in times of scarcity you could eat your candles. ;)

I want to say so much but do not have the time right now. I will say this. When I started candle making years ago I got a whole lot of books on the subject. I had lots of books tell me to use just a little Crayola crayons to color my wax. Did not work for me. I use the blocks of color. The wax looked pretty but I did not get a good burn on the candle.