How to calculate fragrance load

The unrelenting heatwave in Missouri has fried my brain. Someone asked a simple question today about how to measure fragrance oil and I couldn't explain the formula/ratio to save my life!

Let's say the load is 12%, I know two pounds of wax is appropriate for that. Most of our fragrances are happy with a 1 oz oil to 1 pound wax ratio.

This is Alan's FO load chart that he made for Peak's old Candletech forum, before they changed it to this forum. I found this when I Googled FO loads, so I copy-and-pasted this post on another thread:

"Title: Re: FO load question...

Post by Dustpuuppy on Sep 29th, 2004, 5:13pm Alan did all the math in another thread. I did a copy and paste into a word processing program, you could copy it into notepad, on windows and keep it on the desktop. :)"

1%, 0.16 oz pp

2%, 0.32 oz pp

3%, 0.49 oz pp

4%, 0.66 oz pp

5%, 0.84 oz pp

6%, 1.02 oz pp

7%, 1.20 oz pp

8%, 1.39 oz pp

9%, 1.58 oz pp

10%, 1.78 oz pp

1%, 0.16 oz FO, 15.84 oz wax

2%, 0.32 oz FO, 15.68 oz wax

3%, 0.48 oz FO, 15.52 oz wax

4%, 0.64 oz FO, 15.36 oz wax

5%, 0.80 oz FO, 15.20 oz wax

6%, 0.96 oz FO, 15.04 oz wax

7%, 1.12 oz FO, 14.88 oz wax

8%, 1.28 oz FO, 14.72 oz wax

9%, 1.44 oz FO, 14.56 oz wax

10%, 1.6 oz FO, 14.4 oz wax

Last edited by HorsescentS; 03-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.

1%, 0.16 oz pp

2%, 0.32 oz pp

3%, 0.49 oz pp

4%, 0.66 oz pp

5%, 0.84 oz pp

6%, 1.02 oz pp

7%, 1.20 oz pp

8%, 1.39 oz pp

9%, 1.58 oz pp

10%, 1.78 oz pp

This is good info. Thanks HS

Using CC FOs and a scale that measures in ounces only for candles, I could only come up with .8 percent to use on the concentrations where CC recommends 1/2 to 3/4 oz pp wax so I didn't overload the wax and really never knew if that number was right or not. I only melt in variations of 1 lb with the lowest being 1/2 since it fills both my jars for testers so I didn't need to go into smaller weights that .4 oz.

This is good info. Thanks HS

Using CC FOs and a scale that measures in ounces only for candles, I could only come up with .8 percent to use on the concentrations where CC recommends 1/2 to 3/4 oz pp wax so I didn't overload the wax and really never knew if that number was right or not. I only melt in variations of 1 lb with the lowest being 1/2 since it fills both my jars for testers so I didn't need to go into smaller weights that .4 oz.

Jeanie, the portion of the chart you copied is for when you add the FO to 1 lb of wax, so for example, 8% FO load would be 1 lb of wax PLUS 1.39 oz of FO; and 5% FO load would be 1 lb of wax PLUS 0.84 oz of FO.

But the chart underneath it that Alan made is for when you subtract the weight of the FO from the wax before adding it so you get a total 1 lb of wax/FO mixture. People do it both ways.

But, I wish I understood what you're trying to explain about .8 percent and CC recommendations, but it's flying over my head. lol Are you saying that CC recommends using 5% and you figured out that is 0.8 oz of FO? Were you doing 0.8 oz of FO added to 15.20 oz of wax? or were you doing 1 lb of wax PLUS 0.8 oz FO? Which method does Lyschel of CC recommend?

Edited by HorsescentS

But, I wish I understood what you're trying to explain about .8 percent and CC recommendations, but it's flying over my head. lol Are you saying that CC recommends using 5% and you figured out that is 0.8 oz of FO? Were you doing 0.8 oz of FO added to 15.20 oz of wax? or were you doing 1 lb of wax PLUS 0.8 oz FO?

I'm using .8 oz FO pp of wax on the CC FOs that recommend 1/2 to 3/4 oz pp. My candle scale goes up in 1 ounce increments with tenths of ounces but nothing lower. My B&B scale does and also has grams but I don't want to use it for candles.

I have tried discounting the wax to have the FO and wax together equal 1 lb but that changed the burn to either smoke or cause little mushrooms....using the measurement of .8.

I hope I explained myself better this time.

Edited by jeanie353
typo

I'm using .8 oz FO pp of wax on the CC FOs that recommend 1/2 to 3/4 oz pp. My candle scale goes up in 1 ounce increments with tenths of ounces but nothing lower. My B&B scale does and also has grams but I don't want to use it for candles.

I have tried discounting the wax to have the FO and wax together equal 1 lb but that changed the burn to either smoke or cause little mushrooms....using the measurement of .8.

I hope I explained myself better this time.

Thanks, Jeanie! Now I get it. :D lol Wow! CC oils must be really potent for just that tiny change to make a difference in the burn.

My candle scale is the same as yours, it's a Walmart one, so I have to round up or round down.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks, Jeanie! Now I get it. :D lol Wow! CC oils must be really potent for just that tiny change to make a difference in the burn.

My candle scale is the same as yours, it's a Walmart one, so I have to round up or round down.

Some of them really are concentrated. I tried going 1 oz pp quite a few times with the ones that didn't seem to have good HT and it really made my wicks act up. Backed it down and they behaved again. Also, I found the HT was better at a lower % than with the higher percentage. I was one to think more is better but finally got it through my head that it just isn't the case...sometimes :)

Some of them really are concentrated. I tried going 1 oz pp quite a few times with the ones that didn't seem to have good HT and it really made my wicks act up. Backed it down and they behaved again. Also, I found the HT was better at a lower % than with the higher percentage. I was one to think more is better but finally got it through my head that it just isn't the case...sometimes :)

I know what you mean! That was the hardest thing for me to understand, and maybe it depends on the wax, but in IGI 4627 I get a much better HT with Peak's and CS oils at 8% than I did at 9 or 10%, and I'm getting ready to try 7%. But I know you have to go even lower with CC oils, and I'm really looking forward to trying those. :drool:

Edited by HorsescentS