What do you think?

I didn't make these- I bought them for a test comparison to mine. That was the first burn for 4 hours and was told the wax is 100% soy and they said the wicks are Eco made especially for them to burn hot.

I am questioning the mushroom- I was told NOT to trim the wick for the life of the candle that you want it to get a big hot ball to heat up the wax and throw scent stronger..... I asked about the glass getting to hot and was told it would not be a problem but if I was concerned I could trim it once....

So I am just curious what other candle makers think - intriguing part is a huge home improvement chain is testing marketing these in a couple of stores

Edited by moonshine

I didn't make these- I bought them for a test comparison to mine. That was the first burn for 4 hours and was told the wax is 100% soy and they said the wicks are Eco made especially for them to burn hot.

I am questioning the mushroom- I was told NOT to trim the wick for the life of the candle that you want it to get a big hot ball to heat up the wax and throw scent stronger..... I asked about the glass getting to hot and was told it would not be a problem but if I was concerned I could trim it once....

So I am just curious what other candle makers think - intriguing part is a huge home improvement chain is testing marketing these in a couple of stores

Well, I'm far from an expert but don't think we want a ball at the end of the wick.

I've worked with Eco wicks more than any other. It is my favorite and the wick I'm using in my new blend.

It is a hotter wick compared to some others. I don't get mushrooms in soy, paraffin or parasoy unless I have too high a percentage of FO in the wax or too big a wick. I'm sure there are many other reasons that can cause a mushroom but that is my experience.

When I was selling before finding a new blend, I used 415, Eco wicks and 10% FO load at that time. With the new blend that is not 100% soy, I'm using 6% on most FOs tested so far without any problems.

Forgot to add....I seem to find with the Eco's I don't have to trim much at the end of each burn yet also find if I don't trim when needed it will cause too high a flame or soot on all waxes I've tried. They usually don't need more than a little pinch taken off. I keep them at about 1/4" by eyeball.

HTH

Edited by jeanie353
additional

Ya- I am far from expert myself but have spent 3 plus years reading- researching and testing to not get big balls! I couldn't believe this company says you do want them and they will possibly be selling state wide in a huge store- I know I can't worry about what everyone else is doing and shouldn't care.....but they popped up in

my backyard and are doing and selling everything I have learned NOT to- but I will continue to keep getting my product perfected and hopefully when I really start to advertise and my website goes live along with starting some shows the quality will speak for itself- otherwise I can say i have acquired a very expensive hobby and will never run out of candles! LOL

I myself have not tried the Eco in 415- I use CD and CDN and they perform very nice most times with very little mushroom and self trim also- ECO's in 464 did not play nice for me at all

And if it is their FO load causing the mushroom it didn't do any good as the throw is not there so far unless your on top of it

Ya- I am far from expert myself but have spent 3 plus years reading- researching and testing to not get big balls! I couldn't believe this company says you do want them and they will possibly be selling state wide in a huge store- I know I can't worry about what everyone else is doing and shouldn't care.....but they popped up in

my backyard and are doing and selling everything I have learned NOT to- but I will continue to keep getting my product perfected and hopefully when I really start to advertise and my website goes live along with starting some shows the quality will speak for itself- otherwise I can say i have acquired a very expensive hobby and will never run out of candles! LOL

I myself have not tried the Eco in 415- I use CD and CDN and they perform very nice most times with very little mushroom and self trim also- ECO's in 464 did not play nice for me at all

And if it is their FO load causing the mushroom it didn't do any good as the throw is not there so far unless your on top of it

lol....Yes, we try not to get big balls. I spent almost a year trying to find a new wax or blend to replace what I thought was going to stay the perfect wax after a couple years trying to find it. So, ya....I've spent about 3 years too testing, getting more gray hair and spending a ton of money but finally got it right....I hope.

464 and I didn't do well together nor did 444. I still like 415 but it doesn't have the HT (for me) that a blend with paraffin in it does.

I'm glad CD/CDN wicks are working well for you. I really wanted to use them b/c they seem to give the best HT on many waxes but I couldn't take the wavering flames I was getting. It might be my jars since so many others seem to be pleased with them.

I agree on taking our time to get what we each feel is a good product before putting our stuff live, chalk the money spent up to a loss and move forward. :)

If only the consumers knew the big guys don't necessarily make the better candle!

GL with your testing and hope you are able to go live soon :)