Those of you that sew alot of bags.....a question

asheebeans

I have a bag pattern that I absolutely love! I've made one so far, it's a quilted bag and was a LOT of work! The part that tripped me up and where I messed up my bag a bit (not enough that I can't use it, but I am wondering how to avoid the problem for next time...) is sewing the bottom and getting boxy corners. I somehow sewed something together that I shouldn't have and my corners were rounded and puckery! I followed the pattern and had cut out the box of fabric on either end of the bottom, but something went awry during sewing. Is there a way to pin something or mark something so that this doesn't happen? The pattern was a bit vague in that section. :sad2: It is the Regan bag from Marlous Designs, by the way, if anyone has sewn/seen this bag before. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Edited by asheebeans
can't type today!

I have not seen the pattern but is the bottom a seperate piece or just a front and back piece that are sewn together?

The bag consists of six fat quarters. The pieces are put together length-wise so that you have three panels sewn together. The third panel then wraps around the front and folds down partway, showing the lining fabric and creating a nice big pocket on the outside of the bag. So I guess technically, it is a front/back piece that are sewn together. The pattern designer had us cutting a square out of the fabric's either corner before we made our boxy corners. Maybe to reduce the bulk a bit? I really want the next one to turn out nicely! :(